“4th time and still love it!”

Dunes Village Resort
Ranked #8 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
NJ
“4th time and still love it!”
Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

This was our 4th visit to Dunes Village. We have gone every year, three times in late September. As always, fantastic location and huge rooms. Fantastic value.
We had a 4 bedroom oceanfront room and it was fantastic. Large balcony and another side balcony. Water park was very comfortable. Mini golf, kids activities, playground, beach volleyball, etc. You name it, they have it.
Couple things do need to be improved. Housekeeping was spotty. Didn't feel things were as clean as try could be. Especially when you book the best room in the place. You expect just as good service. Shampoo wasn't refilled. received kitchen towel on the second to last day. Never received paper towels which I thought were provided in the past. It's those little things that make a difference or inconvenience. The overall service was good. What lacked was the enthusiasm. Maybe it was gone due to a busy summer season. But it seemed everyone was tired. Bartenders. Kids activities. Front desk. There was one gentleman at the kids activities who was fantastic and energetic. Everyone was very nice...just tired. Another thing was our room's air conditioning didn't seem to be working. We called maintenance 4 times. Yes, 4! Finally after the fourth time over halfway through our stay, it started to work. Two rooms were literally freezing while the front rooms were extremely hot. There also seems to be a need for more staff at the water parks. Several occasions we saw people walk in the pools in full clothing - dirty!!! One night we tried to go into the pools and there was countless rowdy kids that we felt uncomfortable. One person on the top of the slides doesn't work. Not sure if the beach life guards are hired by Dunes but the individual that was there the 4 times we were there last week shouldn't even be considered a life guard. Not once did I see him look up from his phone. Even the last time that I took a half hour to look for shells with my daughter I specifically watched him and didn't see him look up once. And there were plenty of people in the water.
Overall we are happy with our stay. We do plan to come back. I truly believe things need to change if Dunes wants to be more competitive or considered more of a luxury resort.

• Stayed September 2012
4 Thank Love2VacationNJ
CariG_DV, Manager at Dunes Village Resort, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at Dunes VIllage Resort. We appreciate your loyalty, and love thatyou come back every September. September is such a great month in Myrtle Beach, because the weather is still wonderful, and most of the businesses in town are still open.

We appreciate all the feedback you have provided for us. Thank you for mentioning the Beach Life Guards. The life guards on the beach are employed by the City, not by Dunes Village Resort. It pains me to hear that they were anything less than fully attentive, and while they are not employed by me, I will be sure to call the City personally to address this.

I am sorry if my staff came across as anything less than energetic, positive and upbeat.. Tired has never been a word to describe the staff here, even after the biggest of days. It takes a lot more than a busy summer to wear my people out! I apologize if that is how they appeared, and I hope that is not the case next September when you come back for the FIFTH time!!

Thank you again for your great and helpful review. We will see you next year.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,362)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
York, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Having the opportunity to take an extra vacation this year we returned to one of our favorite places,Myrtle Beach. We have been to Myrtle Beach at least a dozen times over the years but this was our first time at Dunes Village Resort. In past years we have usually had the good fortune of staying at a friend's privately owned condo on a golf course in North Myrtle Beach. Now that our children are grown and this trip was just my wife and I we were looking for smaller accomodations as well as something closer to central Myrtle Beach and also right on the beach. Our suite at Dunes Village Resort fit the bill perfectly !!! Many things could be considered highlights of our stay but overall everything was as expected or more. The daily breakfast buffet was great and very convenient by not needing to drive somewhere for breakfast each morning or make breakfast ourselves. After all,this was vacation. The secure parking garage was very much appreciated since none of our cars ever sit out. The entire staff was friendly and very helpful when needed. Sean,our waiter at breakfast several mornings,was simply beyond great. Access to the beach was simple,close, and convenient. Our only disappointment or frustration the entire week was the almost total and complete lack of shade at any of the outdoor pools. As people who like to spend part of our day under our umbrella on the beach and part of our day around the pool we found it nearly impossible to do this. We actually met 3 other couples during the week of similar age (middle fifties and older) who faced the exact same problem. Several of us, having been exposed to sun most of our lives due to working outside, must now be very limited to our sun exposure for obvious reasons. No umbrellas and only a few trees that provided little or no shade made our situation rather difficult at best. Overall we had a great stay and will definitely consider a return visit whether it is again only the two of us, or perhaps with our children and grandchildren. Once again,thank you for a great stay at your facility.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Anne B
CariG_DV, Manager at Dunes Village Resort, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review Dunes Village Resort. We are happy to hear that your vacation was almost perfect. The shade you mentioned is something that we are looking into, and we appreciate the suggestion. On both of our pool decks, we do offer several cabana rentals which offer shade, and come complete with cushioned lounge chairs, a television and ceiling fan, a cooler and use of a grill for the day.

We look forward to having you back again soon. See you then!
Chicopee, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Just returned home from an excellent stay at the Dunes Village Resort. The resort itself is impecably maintained but that is not the reason for my review. The hospitality of the staff is amazing. A special shout out to the staff in the restaurant. Chrissy, Courtney, and Jeff provide world class service....service and friendliness that could easily put a lot of more expensive establishments to shame. Moe runs a great ship there. I recommend that anyone who visits the resort spends time in the on site restaurants.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank TGM1
Hospitality is the business we are in, and our staff throughout the resort is top-notch. I agree, however, that the restaurant staff is worth coming in for a meal or two in order to receive some friendly, exceptional treatment. Chef Moe is a delight to have on staff, and the new menu that is being put together is going to be phenominal. If you think this vacation was superb, just wait til next time! There is always something brewing in the Captains Cafe!

Thank you for your awesome review. The staff you mentioned are worthy of your accolades, and I am sure they appreciate your kindness. Hope to see you soon!
Horsham, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Had an absolutely fantastic time in Myrtle Beach. Dunes VIllage is a very family oriented resort. The views from the room are amazing. Beautiful sunrise and sunsets - hearing the waves at night - pure relaxation. They had wonderful activities for my daughter who was 5. She loved the whipped cream eating contest, tie dye frisbee, tee shirts and hats. 2 water parks were a blast and kept her occupied for a long time. A short walk to the beach. Little miniature golf course to use in between the pool and beach. The pools were great. The rooms were nice - not 5 star quality - but for the price - the location and the kids activities they were perfect. Full kitchen even in just a "regular" room. Restaurant right by the pool to grab a quick lunch or dinner. Nice breakfast buffet with make your own waffles that my daughter loved. The people were nice - especially this one guy - I cannot remember his name but he always wore fun hats. He always had my daughter laughing. Oh and I cannot forget the seattle best coffee for first thing in the morning to drink on the deck watching the sunrise as my daughter slept. This child NEVER sleep past 7:00 am - I had to DRAG her out of bed most days by 9 - she did so much she was exhausted. This was my first year in Myrtle Beach - so we tired to fit a lot of other activities in as well. So missed some stuff the resort had to offer - make you own sundaes, pictures - although we made sure we were back for movie night that was great too. Loved Barefoot Landing, The Boardwalk was nice. Flying Fish Cafe - so much fun - TIGER Preserve - so much to do there - can't wait to go back. The ONLY thing I would pass on next time would be the sky wheel - expensive and nothing spectacular as far as I was concerned. We will definitely be back next year!!!!

3 Thank Janet W
Thank you for such a wonderful and detailed review of Dunes Village Resort. There is really nothing for me to add, since you covered most of the highlights. I am glad to hear that you will be back next year. We can't wait to have you back! See you then!
Wellsboro, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed September 28, 2012

The condo was awesome, all my kids and grandkids were able to stay together. The waterparks were excellent. If we couldn't get in the ocean we were in there.I recommend trying the breakfast buffet, awesome!! The staff was very friendly and our rooms were very clean. I have recommended the Dunes Village Resort to friends hoping they have as much fun as we did. I "WILL" be back again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
We appreciate you taking the time to review Dunes Village Resort for all the world to see. Even more importantly, we thank you for telling your friends! Word of mouth from a reliable source is always the best advertising, and you seem to know what you are talking about.

It sounds like you had the ideal vacation, getting all of your family together. Dunes Village Resort is the perfect place for family fun, since we have so many diversions that cater to a variety of ages. The water park is usually a big hit with most ages, as there are games as well as water features to entertain our guests.

Thank you again for your kind words. We hope you do get back to us again! See you then!
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We stayed at the Dunes Village Resort from 8/19/12-8/25/12. This was our second time at the Dunes and it did not disappoint. My almost 4 year old daughter absolutely loved the indoor water park with the slides and my husband and I and almost 1 year old daughter loved the lazy river...We ate several times at the Captains Cafe and enjoyed all of the food. Walk right onto the beach. View from our room was great and loved waking up every morning to the sounds of the ocean. Overall a great stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor
1 Thank chris93078
Thank you so much for your fantastic review of Dunes Village Resort. We aim to please, and it looks like we succeeded with you and your family.

Did you find that in the middle of August, even though we were at full occupancy, the resort didn't feel too crowded? The amenities are spread out over 2 buildings, so the pool areas are never too full, and the rest of the resort has so many open areas to hang out in that it is never like having someone right on top of you.

We hope you and your family make Dunes Village Resort a regular vacation destination. See you next time!
Weaverville, North Carolina
Reviewed September 28, 2012

my husband and I work crazy schedules and just wanted to chill a few days, this was the place for it, very clean, easy to find your way around. Staff very friendly and helpful. Loved the swinging chairs out front. Am going to look on line for some. Thanx again everything was wonderful

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank belinda a
Thank you so much for choosing Dunes Village Resort as your place to relax. Everything that you said is true! We have a great staff, and the chairs in the yard, which are new to the resort this year, are a must when sitting outside listening to the ocean. They are like an adult cradle, almost too comfortable and easy to relax in. If you need help locating some of those chairs, give us a call.

We certainly hope you get a chance to visit again soon. Thank you again for your wonderful review.