“Was fine until the next morning”

Grande Shores Ocean Resort
Ranked #15 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed September 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on a spur of the moment, location was great and everything seemed fine. My husband woke up to some "bites" on him during the night, went back to sleep and woke up to more from his chest area, back, arms and neck. Was a big "dieing" roach on the floor by the door. I checked the sheets for any spots (as they say) for bed bugs but didn't notice any. Really don't feel like we will return to this hotel anymore.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank DnZC
GMSeasideResorts, General Manager at Grande Shores Ocean Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2013

I was sorry to read your review and please know we never want a guest leaving our resort feeling as you do. If there was a problem in the room I assure everyone it was an exception. We take pests very seriously and use only professionals to help when there is a problem discovered. Again, I am sorry your stay was not what was expected. Thank you for taking the time to communicate your feelings. We do take them seriously.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,470)

Reviewed September 28, 2013

This was the worst hotel room in which I have ever stayed. Completely outdated, this room seemed to have never been changed in decades, except for a flat screen tv. The A/C unit was corroded and poorly working; the beds uncomfortable with scratchy sheets and blankets. I had to sleep on top of the spread (at least these appeared new) and awoke with bug bites. The thin carpet had an unpleasant oder, and the storage shelving was of rough wood, painted an awful chocolate brown. The 2 1/2 star designation is erroneous and misleading. At best the place should rank only 1 star. I was beyond disappointed, left rather upset, and felt I had been "had" by misrepresentation of the rooms. My complaints at the front desk were heard; but was just told sorry that I was not happy. I responded that my review will not be a pleasant one.

Room Tip: I would insist on inspecting the room before making any reservation.
1  Thank Carolynn B
GMSeasideResorts, General Manager at Grande Shores Ocean Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2013

This was a very disappointing review to read. We certainly hate to see a guest who has been so severely disappointed with our hotel rooms. Over the last two years we have remodeled our bathrooms, painted, installed new mattresses, and flat screen TV's. This winter we plan to install all new draperies and spreads. Our hotel rooms offer the very best possible view of the ocean and we certainly hope you will allow us the privilege of serving you again. We also have condo units at Grande Shores that are 1,2 and 3 bedrooms. Thank you for taking the time to review. We do take reviews seriously.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Warning the Grande Shores resort is dated, rooms are nice and large but in poor shape. I did hear that the rooms from the 7th floor up have been updated. Rates were cheap but you get what you pay for, I got a room with carpet so dirty I did not want to walk on it with out shoes or socks. There was someone hair left in the shower. Blow dryers (both) did not work, Internet did
not work even down at the pool. The beach and Pool area were nice and fairly well kept up. Restaurant was full at about 5pm and they only had one server on duty and she was doing her best so we had clam and chicken strip appetizers they were good but it took forever. I attended
a family reunion, I would never go back.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here ask for oceanfront 7th floor or higher
2  Thank dond0528
GMSeasideResorts, General Manager at Grande Shores Ocean Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Thank you for your review. I did want to say that this winter we plan to install new draperies, bedspreads and pictures in all our hotel rooms. In the past two years we have installed new mattresses, painted the entire room, redone the bathrooms and applied new coatings on our private balconies to enhance our guests stay. We also installed flat screen TV's in all our hotel rooms as well. I am very sorry you did not enjoy the room. We also have 1,2 and 3 bedroom condominiums at Grande Shores. We do have a variety of options for our guests so I do hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Although our 11th stay in 9 years started out a little "rocky", when I called the staff, they immediately made every effort to correct their problems and our disappointment. Heidi and, especially Katie, were exceptionally professional, knowledgeable and helpful to turn an initial poor experience into a most enjoyable, special and comfortable stay, which resulted in us upgrading our condo and extending our stay.
Our first trip without children, we've explored many other resorts and locations for this new "season" of life and have concluded that we cannot do better, in every way, than the Grande Shores. Can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: All rooms with bedrooms on the front are quiet and spacious, but the north ocean view above 7th floo...
2  Thank Knitter4Life
GMSeasideResorts, General Manager at Grande Shores Ocean Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

It is always great to hear from a repeat guest. We appreicate your loyalty to Grande Shores. We are proud to know you will be returning and enjoying vacation time with us. It is a pleasure serving you and we will be sure to let Katie and Heidi know they made a difference. They really are great and they do all they can to make each and every guest feel at home. Return soon and thank you again for your review and kind words.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

The room was a 1 BD condo. It was clean but needed updating badly. The amentities of the many pools and location to beach and other things in Myrtle Beach was good. Restarant for breakfast was okay. It was clean.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

I was disappointed to see you were not greatly impressed with our resort. Our condominiums are owned by individuals and many of our homeowners are upgrading with new furniture, TV's, granite and mattresses. I do hope you will return to Myrtle Beach and Grande Shores. We have many upgraded condominiums and would be happy to book your next vacation.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We've stayed here before and enjoyed it, but the problem this time was that the bed was uncomfortable and both my husband and I were bit by apparent.....bed bugs! True, this is the end of the beach season and the rates were decent for an oceanfront double, but we highly value a good nights sleep..hence the '3' rating. Do feel the room has not been properly maintained,cleaned--especially the bathroom. Shower could have been stronger.
Otherwise, this is a really nice resort with rooftop pool,lazy river,hot tubs as well on the ground floor.
Not sure if we'll stay here again.....

Room Tip: 2-3 bedroom units may be better maintained than the oceanfront doubles which are in older part of th...
1  Thank jle831

So sorry to see you were disappointed with this stay. Grande Shores does have great amentities and I am happy to see you enjoyed that part of your stay. We have plans this off season to purachase new draperies and spreads for our hotel section and know our guests will really enjoy that upgrade in the spring. I was surprised to see a comment about possible bed bugs. We have not had an issue in our hotel and are very proactive in this area since they are a possible issue everywhere. We do hope you will return and give us another opportunity to serve you. Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

My family and I just got back from our week stay at the grand shores, and we enjoyed it very much and will definitely go back. We had rented the 3 bedroom condo and loved it! Everything was very comfortable and our view was great! My 3 and 5 year olds loved the pool and the lazy river! Plus is was so close we would be on the beach in no time! And the beach was great! The parking is a little difficult getting in and out... but it is located to a variety of stores and activities. It was a great vacation!

Room Tip: the ocean view room still had a wonderful view of the ocean and the city
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
GMSeasideResorts, General Manager at Grande Shores Ocean Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

It was a pleasure reading your review and especially great to see your children were happy with the pools and lazy rivers. I know family vacationing is all about the children being happy so the parents can get a little time to relax. Thank you for being part of our Grande Shores family and best to you and your family.