“still a bargain”

Grande Shores Ocean Resort
Ranked #16 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed July 11, 2013

we've stayed at the GRANDE SHORES several times over the years , though we could tell it was slightly dated lts still one of the best bargains in MB , our biggest problem was with the shower knob, it fell off 3 times while trying to cut the water off . with one call maintinance was on it however , little disappointed in the onsite cafe, way overprised for the amount of food you get .. customer service is still great , parking deck is nice , exercise facility is very adequate , the pool area , including the bathrooms are kept clean ... for the price you can't beat it .. its not the Anderson Club , but your not paying two or three hundred dollars a night either... would recommend ...

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 10, 2013

We have been to Grande Shores Ocean Resort for 3 years now. New modifications have been made annually, all the hard work is paying off. We are planning to come back next year. Thanks for our great spring breaks!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jennifer T
GMSeasideResorts, General Manager at Grande Shores Ocean Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Thank you for noticing the changes to our resort. We take a lot of pleasure making improvements and so hope our guests will notice. We will continue making updates and we look forward to having you back next year. Until then, safe traveling!

Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Upon arriving at Grande Shores I was "wowed" at the location. We walked downstairs and we were literally on the beach. The views were amazing and all of the staff was friendly. I must admit that I usually stay in upscale hotel chains but decided to try this resort based on other reviews. While I felt that the rooms could use a little more attention (decor) -they were clean. I liked the fact there were multiple pools areas and that they offer children activities by the pool and on the beach. We stayed in one of the oceanview condos and had an amazing view. While I would likely take it up a notch on my next trip to Myrtle Beach, I would certainly be open to staying here again.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is my third time at Grande Shores. I have been in three different types of rooms. I stayed in the 3 BR Oceanview on the 12th floor. Grande Shores is an older facility and it is definitely showing its age. They are obviously working with some outdated choices made years ago. I have a three kids, we had six people total. Let's start with the high points- Front Desk was great and check-in/check-out was very efficient. The Housekeeping staff was very attentive when we requested and worked around naps for our baby (huge plus). When we arrived and the coffee maker wasn't working, they brought us a new one by the afternoon. The activities they have for kids were great and kept them busy. The Oceanview room might as well have been ocean front because it is next to a residential area so you have no condos obstructing (if you are on the North Side- Ask for the north side oceanview). We could see the fireworks all the way to Cherry Grove and as far north up the beach as we could see from our balcony. Great for the kids and the baby who is scared of the noise up close. The great part about the reservations was that I specifically asked to get a higher level room (above 10), ocean view on the north side, and a little more updated. I got the high level and the great view, but the room was a little older and did not have a lot of updated equipment. The walk to the pools and ocean was great, convenient to restaurant row which made dinner time a breeze to get where we needed. Even the ice cream truck drove by everyday. The 7th floor hot tubs were nice and the main pool area was great. So, for the money and considering we went 4th of July week and mid week, I got what I expected. I went in knowing it was older and I wouldn't get a lot of amenities like valet, flat screens, and such. So, here were the cons for me. You can decide what's important to you based on what I put. The room didn't have what we would consider a real deep cleaning upon arrival. However, the housekeeping staff was very attentive and it got cleaner while we stayed. Maybe something was up with the getaway day cleaning crew before we arrived. There was one little DVD player and it was missing a remote. The coffee maker was broken and leaked coffee out of the bottom. The dishwasher top rack was broken and did not slide in and out. There were not a lot of cooking utensils so if you wanted to do big meals or use a blender or something like that you were out of luck. It had a toaster, coffee maker, and some basic pots and pans and plates. The refrigerator worked fine, but is a basic fridge without a water dispenser like you see in the upscale condos. Not an issue for us, but thought I would mention it. If you bring an iPad or apple product and want to use the wifi, the correct wireless hub won't show up automatically because the signal strength shows as too low. You have to actually type in the name of the wifi hub and ask to join it. My iPad found it then and all was good. Just a little tip. The parking deck is very tight so be careful about where you park and if you have a large truck or van, try not to park in the compact car spots. It's really taking a chance. The parking deck also fills up and you may have to overflow to the parking in the condo next door (Horizon at 77th). It is their sister property. The couches were really hard and very institutional, like you would find in a basic hotel. It was functional, but not plush and comfy. The Master bed room is great. Spacious, connects to the balcony. The second BR with two doubles is a good size. The third bedroom is very tight. Not unmanageable, but very tight. The last thing is the indoor pool is right next to the front office and opens right into the parking deck. It is very hot and steamy in there and can smell bad if the odors from the parking deck flow into there. To me, it is the one very poor design flaw of this facility and to me a drawback. It is not a pool area I like to be in and am glad we had great weather so we didn't have to use it. The water was freezing, the hot tub was dirty, and the echo is so bad that the noise is deafening. If they could pull of something like swap the location of the restaurant with the indoor pool, that would make is so much better. If they could pull off something like they have next door at Carolina Winds or even in the Horizon at 77th that would be better. Okay, so overall, it was a great value for an aging facility. If I am being price conscious and need a larger space 3 BR, I think it is a value if you stay up on a higher floor and go Oceanfront or ocean view. Just so you know, if I could, I would go Oceanfront Penthouse all the time here. For the money, that is the best value at Myrtle to me and that is coming from someone who has been going there for 20+ years. Would I go back? Yes. Are there things I would like Grande Shores to improve on. Absolutely. I did the research on this trip and there were only two other facilities at Myrtle that offered a 3BR Oceanview/Ocean front for under $2000 during 4th of July week. Grande Shores was the best of the three. My thought was to save money on the space and use the savings on activities and dinner.

Room Tip: If you want a great view and not be bothered by pool noise or parking deck noise, stay 3BR ocean fro...
1  Thank mikefulford
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stay at the Grande Shores yearly because it is quiet, has all the extras we like, and they are ready to help you any time you need help. They go above and beyond the call of duty. We have a condo reserved for another day, however, this visit was for a person family crisis. We needed a room right away and they got us one. This place has 5 hot tubs, 3 swimming pools (one indoors), it is on the beach, well maintained, and my favorite place.

Room Tip: Rooms on the left side view the ocean to the north, rooms to the right view ocean to the south, room...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

We are always very pleased to see a happy repeat guest. We would not be here if not for loyal guests like you. Thank you so much for your review and kind words about our resort. We look forward to serving you again soon, and until then have a great "rest" of the summer.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

This is our first and last time staying. When we arrived the front desk staff was great!!!!!!. when i got to my room i was soooo disappointed. I booked ocean front room. i stayed on the 7th floor and when i sat on my blacony all i saw was a building in front of me. we couldnt even see the beach when we stood up.called front desk and told them i was not happy and they said that it was nothing they could do. so if you every stay there and book ocean front don't stay on the 7th floor.

1  Thank barbara m

It is true our 7th floor is on the pool level. For some this is a great advantage, but I can see for you it was not. Our 7th floor condos are a specific room type so when booking just make sure you mention that is not a floor you want and the reservaitonist will not quote that room type. We are truly sorry your experience was not a good one. We do have great condos at Grande Shores with great amentities, so please return and give one of our upper floor condos a change. Thank you

Reviewed July 5, 2013

I have nothing but great things to say. The front desk was friendly. Ebony and Ivan in particular. I will definitely be back!! The pools need some work but still do the job! Thank you for a great vacation.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family