“Hotel Room - 202 - Different Experience”

Grande Shores Ocean Resort
Ranked #20 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
North Wilkesboro, North Carolina
“Hotel Room - 202 - Different Experience”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Let me start by saving I've stayed at this property multiple times in the past 5 years - I frequent this resort and the sister properties alot - and do as many reviews as possible on Trip Advisor as time limits allow.

This was our first stay in a regular hotel style room at Grande Shores in several years, we normally stay in a condo room. This particular reservation was a last minute in peak season. Normally we do not stay in peak season, and I had to go the cheapest route this time.

The resort lobby was extremely busy when we arrived with 2 desk clerks working with guest as quickly as they could on the evening of June 28th. Our arrival was around 7pm. We knew arriving that this stay would be different simply because it was peak season.

The desk clerks worked with us on several questions I had about being a Club Seaside member and asking if I got the discount perk on my reservation, even contacted the site manager to let me speak with her via telephone, which I will have to check back with reservations staff to find out if I did get a discount on my stay.

Our room 202 - it was very clean - the standard I've come to expect from Grande Shores - BUT - no ocean view - rather a palm tree right at the patio - I could literally touch the leaves and the room was directly above the resort restaurant - so naturally noise from the Friday evening drifted upward. So I thought - oh no - I'll ask for another room. Went back to the front desk, asked to be switched but wanted to see the new room first - the desk clerk once again very accomodating. The room for me to switch too was in a tidy dirty stage so we had to wait about 10 minutes before we could preview the room - which was 514 ocean front - which meant an additional fee - if I choose it. Let's say it may have had the perk of being ocean front - but room 202 was in much better appearance. Both rooms had what we called creaking beds, but room 514 had ceiling issues in the bathroom and the furniture was scratched alot - not to mention it's an adjoining room - so I wasn't too comfortable with that aspect.

Back to room 202, my husband returns the key for room 514, once again the desk clerk offers to find another room, we graciously kept room 202. Thankfully the noise from the restaurant/lounge beneath us was over by 10:00pm - no problems there. The view - well we were hidden greatly from seeing much of anything - that was ok - we just went out on the beach for our morning sunrise photos.

Room 202 was very clean, except for the bedsheets on one of the beds - there was a greasy stain on one sheet - can you believe it - at 10:30pm they still have a housekeeping personnel on duty - once I told the front desk - within minutes I had 2 sets of clean sheets for the one bed! - That's service.

The resort property is well maintained, with folks cleaning and repairing constantly.

I do have a rather bad negative thought - and it concerns the music by the outdoor pool on June 29th. I had noticed that the music being played was not the typical music played by resorts at the beach - but thought - well I'm older and the newer generation probably likes this music - that is - until one particular song started - every other word being sung was very vulgar, profane and has what some would consider racist remarks - everyone started looking shocked and talking amongst themselves - you could tell it was upsetting folks, by the time I told my husband someone needs to report this music - the lady next to us was going to the pool bar to ask for the music to be stopped - the excuse -per the lady - it was in the music shuffle, the pool bartender had no control over the selection. Resort Management needs to ensure that the music played around the pool area is appropriate for all ages, and avoid music with vulgarity, profanity, and deroggaratory remarks about race - this one song had all of that in it!

I will have to admit the music incident really shocked me for this resort - I have never in the past 5 years experienced anything like this at Grande Shores.

On my return stays - I will still book a hotel room if it's the cheapest - may even ask for room 202 if I go the hotel room route - it had all the amenities we needed - but if condo room fits my budget - definately the condo room.

I can only say again, Grande Shores is a wonderful resort to stay at - just look at my past reviews of this resort as well!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
Beckley, West Virginia
Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was a nice place to stay while on vacation. Room was clean as well as the other common areas. Parking at this place is great. I parked right next to my room on the seventh floor and never had trouble finding a place to park. The rooms are equipped with a full kitchen, washer and dryer, flat screen televisions in each room. I would stay at this place again and would recommend it to people I know.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Usmctip
GMSeasideResorts, General Manager at Grande Shores Ocean Resort, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
So happy to see you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to having the opportunity of serving you again while in Myrtle Beach.
Reidsville, North Carolina
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed in an ocean view suite on the tenth floor and the view was nice and the room was nice and clean. The hotel is older with slower elevators. The room had been updated with flat screens and new appliances. Better than some other resorts we have stayed and the price was reasonable.

1 Thank D S
Sterling, Virginia
Reviewed June 25, 2013

The "grande" part of Grande Shores in my opinion was the pool, lazy river and just about everything else outside. Each is well maintained and pleasant, as are the staff. Our condo however showed a little wear and tear. While all the appliances worked, and were clean, the washer/dryer for example is an over/under so you can only wash or dry, not both at the same time. The shower took more than a few minutes to warm up, but the water pressure was good and the bathroom was clean. We don't go to the beach to stay in our condo, so our 2 BR was fine. The restaurant package isn't worth it - its the same buffet every day, and you're not getting a discount by buying the package (a better breakfast could be bought cheaper nearby). And, the restaurant closes between breakfast (which ended at 11) and happy hour that starts at 4. Then closes again after happy hour at 7. Why have a restaurant if it's not available for lunch and dinner?

Room Tip: Don't get the sideview room above the registration desk, there's a light that shines right i...
1 Thank Lisa B
GMSeasideResorts, General Manager at Grande Shores Ocean Resort, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
I was pleased to see you enjoyed our amentities and staff. We do believe we have the best people working at our resort. Some have been here for over 10 years and love hospitality and it shows. I will have to check on the restaurant closing time. We typically close around 9:00pm but will check on your comment that mentions 7:00pm. Our condo are privately owned and some homeowners have upgraded more than others but they all have new couches, chairs, and flat screen just recently installed. Our reservaiton department can help you with our more upgraded units when you reserve again. Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to review Grande Shores.
Albemarle, North Carolina
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Booked in January a 2 bedroom condo but had to change in May to a one bedroom. Went by the reviews on FB - was that a mistake!!! Our "condo" had a door coming apart that led into the living room, there was a brown stain above the tub area, one tile was loose and every time you went from the bedroom it made a noise, the shelves in the refrigerator door all were broken but one. The noise from the other rooms was loud - every time they turned on their water we heard it and every time they had on their tv we heard it. But the worst was because the door wasn't properly insulated so we heard howling wind all night long!!! On Thursday they unloaded 2 bus loads at 7pm and it took us 15 minutes to find stairs after waiting 10 minutes for a elevator to get to our room! And the activities for kids - the pool games consisted of getting 6 kids in a circle with one in the middle to play keep away and the activities director was gone!! We contacted them and we should have come in a less busy time and the noise wouldn't be so bad - I don't care when we came with the poorly insulated walls and the poorly insulated door nothing would have changed. And oh they talk to the activities director about my concern for the pool games. And BEST of all they said next time we may want to book the hotel beside them because their condos are more upscale!!! What according to FB yours are a 5 - And that brings me to my last point post anything negative on FB and they remove it so now I know why on FB all the reviews are so great!

2 Thank Ray L
GMSeasideResorts, General Manager at Grande Shores Ocean Resort, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
We certainly regret that Grande Shores was not the right fit for you. We manage a number of resorts and we do refer our guests to one of our other resorts in hopes we can help them find a place that would make them happy. That is why I mentioned our other property to you when we communicated after your check out. We never want to leave a guest feeling we do not care and do what we can to assist them in finding the right spot for them. We rely on comments from our guests to improve. As I expresses in earlier communication, I am sorry Grande Shores was not a resort you would choose to return to. I do hope you will return to Myrtle Beach and hope you find the perfect spot for you and your family. Thank you for taking the time to review our resort.
Monkton, Maryland
Reviewed June 23, 2013

The only good things I can say about this place....(1) the pools were nice and (2) our room had a great view. We were told when we booked our stay that this place had been renovated a few years ago. The woodwork looked like it was missed during those renovations! The bed creaked everytime you moved, when it rained water ran down the wall. The bathroom was small and the carpet felt like it hadn't been cleaned in a while. Hotel management offered to put us in another room on the 6th floor but we declined feeling all the rooms would be in the same condition. Just wanted this vacation to be over.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank wearytraveler0111
We always appreicate hearing from our guests even when reading a less than positive review. I do wish you would have taken the option offered to you to see one of our other rooms. We can usually find the right fit for a guest, but I understand moving to a different room can be an inconvenience. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us.
Reviewed June 22, 2013

My three girls and I had a wonderful vacation experience at the Grande Shores. We were in an ocean front room on the first floor. Our sliding glass door opened up to the pool and lazy river. It was so convenient and really made our trip that much better. I highly recommend the Grande Shores Ocean Resort. I would love to go there again.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Suzanne950
GMSeasideResorts, General Manager at Grande Shores Ocean Resort, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
It means a lot to see you and your family enjoyed your time at Grande Shores. We hope you will be able to return soon.