New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Grande Shores Ocean Resort

Grande Shores Ocean Resort
Ranked #26 of 218 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Lugoff, South Carolina
“This place is going downhill.... Fast!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2011

My wife and I stay at the Grand Shores at least four times a year when we visit Brookgreen Gardens in Murrells Inlet. That’s almost a one hour drive from the gardens, but has been worth it, until recently.

Grand Shores is an older establishment, but has always seemed to be well kept and in good repair. Our visit last November, however, was met with a few problems. Suffice-it-to-say, we moved to another room. I figured, “Hey, everyone has a bad day now and then. Give’m the benefit of the doubt.”

Our visit in February, however, was fraught with problems. Besides the usual key cards having to be reprogrammed three times, the room was a disaster. Many of the lights and outlets didn’t work. The HVAC unit didn’t work properly. The bathroom door was broken. The shower rod had been ripped out of the wall. Neither the ceiling light nor powered vent worked in the bathroom. The toilet was broken off the floor. And, to top it all off, every time we flushed, the toilet backed up. Instead of a repair, we got a plunger. Needless to say, we wanted a different room. We were told, “Sorry, none available. We’re full.”

My wife and I are extremely disappointed. We and our friends, have been going there for a number of years now. Not anymore. It’s time for us to find somewhere else. Oh, one more thing, don’t waste your time complaining to corporate. It’s a lesson in futility: Kind of like urinating on the windward side of the vessel.

God bless.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank Christopher451
GMSeasideResorts, General Manager at Grande Shores Ocean Resort, responded to this review, March 30, 2011
This review by such a loyal guest is very disturbing and in no way represents the way we do business. Our guest are very special to us. Many have visited for so long they know us by name and that is the type relationship we strive for everyday. I have emailed this guest and am looking into these issues very aggressively. We appreciate this guests time in sharing their concerns and hope we can earn the chance to serve them again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

I have never written a review but this must be said. We stayed in room 200 and it was a nightmare. The electrical outlets were on the ground and exposed (one was 220 volts). The kitchen sink did not have a handle. It was filthy and to top it off the smoke detector was not attached. I have three small children and it was BAD! The pools are nasty and had a lawn chair in it for 2 straight days. They did move me and after a few requests I did get a late checkout. However they never offered to help move me and I had a crib request at 1 pm and got the crib at 11 pm after several calls. It is free internet but could not get a connection with three laptops that we had to Skype with my husband....could not even check emails.
I met them at a Fort Bragg travel show I assure you the Army wives that I know will go somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank AmaraNC
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

i had a wonderful time at this resort. i was celebrating my birthday and wanted a quiet relaxing place to stay. this was the perfect resort.

Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank sexymomma29
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

From the moment we walked in to the minute we left we were treated like royalty! Staff were always cheerful and helpful. Everything we could need for the week was in the unit. If we asked the front desk for something, it arrived at our door within minutes. We had a 3 bedroom condo and it was immaculate, spacious, with comfy beds and pillows. There are 3 different pool sections and all the pools/lazy rivers were heated and clean. My 6 year old could touch the bottom so that was perfect! Happy hour in on site restaurant which was a popular spot! There is a grocery store, gift shops and liquor store all within walking distance. Of course, the view and beach are fabulous! 100% recommend this resort!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank moebella
Green Bay, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

A bit belated in writing this review. I stayed at the Grande Shores last August 2010 for the 4th time. It was for the World Amateur. I have found that the value at Grande Shores for their condos is the best on the beach. Had an 8th floor north oceanview condo, and was not disappointed in the least. Rooms are a little tired, but everything was clean and functioned properly. Housekeeping did a great job all week. The 7th floor rooftop hot tubs were amazing, as always. Did not eat there, so cannot comment on food service.

I am booked to return for my 5th stay come this August.

• Stayed August 2010
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

Once again my stay at Grande Shores was terrific. The friendly staff were always ready to assist in obtaining anything I needed........from taxi cab info to suggestions from the menu in the on-site restaurant! I never had a thought or concern about safety and/or security. My room was always cleaned to above standard and the cleaning staff were very pleasant and obliging. The bartenders in the lounge were always ready with a friendly smile and a "How are you today?" There was never a moment when I felt the employees would rather be somewhere else. A great place to stay for a single traveler and I will definitely return next year........maybe for a longer time period!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank lamplitre
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2011

We actually spent the better part of this winter at the Grande Shores and from start to finish it is a truly wonderful experience. From the loveliest staff members to the super indoor and outdoor pool facilities this hotel rocks! Our thanks to the staff --Jenna and Michelle in particular for the times when we needed something they helped us right away whether it was a local dentist or shopping excursion or even a lost pillow. The indoor pool and jacuzzi are heated well for our "old bones" haha...and the outdoor ones on a nice day truly were a joy with their view overlooking the ocean. The rooms are spacious and well kept, the beds VERY comfy and housekeeping even adds special touches! The cafe has simple but good food, a great breakfast buffet and the bartender Eric is super! All in all it was a truly wonderful stay away from home.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ShafferSnowbirds
GMSeasideResorts, General Manager at Grande Shores Ocean Resort, responded to this review, March 3, 2011
Thank you so much for your review. People that choose hospitality enjoy serving others and seeing that you enjoyed your winter with us is so gratifying. I will make sure the staff you mentioned in particular see this. It will make them so happy. Thank you for staying at the Grande Shores. Have the very best summer and return next winter. We will be ready to welcome you!!