“Not bad but not too good”

Coral Beach Resort & Suites
Ranked #10 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed August 12, 2006

The Coral Beach Hotel was a bit of a disappointment to this well travelled British family who went there in August 2006. The room itself was fairly good, with a bedroom containing two good-sized double beds with television, then the kitchen next to the bathroom, before getting through to the lounge with another television and balcony overlooking the sea. This also protected the bedroom from the nightly kareoke sessions at the beach side bar.

The disappointment with the Coral Beach came with the pool area. We firstly started sitting around the main pool, which unfortunately was very hot as it was during a heat wave and there was very little wind coming to that part of the frontage. This also meant you were in direct line with the full blast of the speakers from the live band which played between 1pm and 5pm at the pool every day. Why do these guys always want to show off how powerful their kit is? This also meant of course that we were near lots of Americans who can't resist giving a woo haa at the end of each song!

We relocated down the other end of the pool complex around the lazy river, which did protect us to some degree from the music and had better sea breezes, but unfortunately got us downwind of the burger bar, and therefore we had to suffer the smell of that all day. Perhaps Americans are different from Europeans, who like to lie by the pool in peace and serenity and perhaps read a book. or two. I don't suppose we thought we were going to get a daily pop concert when we booked the Coral Beach.

Many people complained about the lifts, and unfortunately they are pretty archaic. Part of the problem is due to bad discipline by hotel guests. Desperate to get a lift, they would press the up and down arrows, working on the assumption that it's better to be in any lift whichever direction it happened be going in. Unfortunately this meant that half the time, a lift would stop at a floor, the doors would open and there would be no one there, as it was another bogus request.

One of the reasons we chose Coral Beach was to be close to the action in Myrtle Beach, but unfortunately there were very few restaurants in decent walking distance of the hotel, which meant having to get the car out to go for a meal every evening which as the driver wasn't very satisfactory!

The hotel is gaudily painted and for a place of its size has limited eating facilities. Our overall opinion is that this was not a good choice on our part as there must be better hotels to choose, from the thousands on offer in his part the woods. It does however have a glorious location right on the beach, but so did many others. We won't be going back!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank Alan H
There are newer reviews for Coral Beach Resort & Suites

Reviewed August 8, 2006

My husband, daughter and I stayed here from 7/29-8/5,2006. We had a 1 bedroom suite on the 3rd floor. The view was wonderful, the room very clean and spacious, the staff was very friendly and polite. Each night we went to Karaoke at the beach side bar, very family friendly, ( our daughter is in college, but there were many small children there and noone ever was offensive), this was so much fun watching the different people sing and attempt to sing. The pools were kept clean as well as the decking around them. The elevators were slow,(busy time of year), the wait was never too long, but were told that they are installing new ones in September after the busy season. All in all I would recommend this hotel to anyone, young or old. There is plenty of parking, mostly underground so your car is not in the direct sunlight which was good. We will definitely go back to Coral Beach.

Stayed: July 2006
Reviewed August 5, 2006

I gave this hotel 2 stars only because the front desk girls were very nice and maintenance was very quick - otherwise this 'resort' was a huge disappointment.
I say lipstick on a pig since this hotel was renovated earlier this year. A coat of paint is not considered a renovation.
Carpets were old, dirty and just plain ugly. I looked into 8 or 9 units while they were being cleaned and all had the same type of carpets, smell, dirt etc regardless of being corner units, king condos, oceanfront or not.
Empty paint cans left in the west stairwell during entire trip.
I can only say that this hotel is dirty and smelly and worn out.
Lobby areas and elevators are always soaking from pool goers.
Very slow elevators so we opted to use the stairs.
Our balcony smelled like urine and were unable to enjoy a quiet drink on it. (yes we did try to change rooms but were full.) The hotel room itself was dirty (see photos) and the cleaning staff uses a strong 'orange' type cleaner which was overpowering. I tipped housekeeping everyday and asked them NOT to use the spray and please just clean bathroom and leave fresh towlels. Bathroom was not cleaned properly as you can see in my photos.
The Pools - a somewhat bright spot with this resort as they have 10 pools - (small 10 x 10 kiddies and whirlpools are included in the count) and my son quite enjoyed playing in the pool with the other children.
It was very difficult to find chairs since many would place their towels on the lounges and leave.
The beach bar creates it's own set of pros and cons with outside people coming onto to the property and using our pools, chairs etc. - however listening to the bands during the day and karaoke in the evening made for some enjoyment. This being said, the bar would attract sometimes unsavoury patrons and on numerous occasions we watched people pack up, hop the fence and go to their 2 levels $49 motels across the street. There were no security onsite checking room keys etc. At 209 USD/nt I expected a pool side lounger to enjoy. The Coral Beach Resort cares more about selling alcohol/food etc. at their beach bar at the expense of privacy, safety and security of their patrons.
Room - see photos.
The tub would not drain and maintenance was up in 10 mins. to fix. Rust on the door hinges in bathroom and hall.
The kitchen area in the room is very small but was adequate for what we used it for. Kitchen floor sticky and my wife ended up cleaning it herself.
This property is truly a glorified motel with it's outdoor hallways, lack of concierge, security and inability to make room charges. Why no room charges - I was told they again don't have ample security and it is tough to control who is on the property.
I truly wanted to leave and book again somewhere else but we kept on giving it more time to grow on us.
Truly the pool areas were the only saving grace for this property.
At the prices they were charging, you can do much, much better.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank cptguy
Reviewed August 4, 2006

I was pretty nervous about staying at the Coral Beach, after reading some of the reviews, in fact, I almost cancelled our reservations! I'm happy to report that we had a great 5 night stay. The room was clean, and the maid sevice was fine. We did not experience any problems with broken toilets or doorhandles, etc. The resort appeared quite clean-pools , etc. I personally didn't swim in the pools- my kids did though. I can't comment on the food at the resort,,either, because we never ate there, except for a buger that my son had, and he said it was good. The only negative I have was that there was only one chair in our room, and no table, also there was a small refrigerator, which had a small microwave sitting on it, with a coffeemaker sitting on top of that, but I wasn't planning on cooking anyway! Be aware that the drinks at the bar are very pricey-10$ for a small frozen margaurita!! We wouldn't hesitate to go back-nice place. Next time I'd spend the extra money for an ocean front room, could only see a slice of the ocean from our angle front-not the entire coastline. P.S- They won"t let you check in even an hour early-though you can use the facilities-pool etc, until check in time. Also the bowling alley apparently doesn't open until later in the day.

Reviewed July 31, 2006

I stayed at the Coral Beach Resort from June 28 to July 7. On my first day there I had an accident with my left foot. I was pulling down the Murphy bed and the bedframe fell on my foot. I sustained a contusion and hematoma. I learned later that the strap was missing to keep the mattress and bedframe together. I cannot believe that housekeeping did not pick this up when making bed everyday. I contacted the front desk stating I needed to see a doctor. They stated I could use their wheelchair to get in my vehicle but it could not leave the premises to visit Urgent Care Center around corner. They never contacted me the whole nine days I stayed how my injury was doing. I really upset about this incident. They have the worst customer service...I contacted the Better Business Bureau and the Chamber of Commerce in SC and they will not return their messages.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank Karn
Reviewed July 26, 2006

My kids loved this hotel.We stayed in a suite on fourth floor right by the bowling alley.The view from our balconey was beautiful.I must agree though with alot of what I read.The rooms were not that clean and you had to call for maid service.The towels had stains,hair and etc on them.We did not use them we asked for more.Check them carefully.The kids loved the stay,pools were great,band was great,view was great but if I didnt have kids I would not stay here.The location was also great and so was parking.I will try to find another hotel for our next trip.Oh yea the elevators are scary.We walk 4 floors to our room to avoid them.

2  Thank chipperbar
Reviewed July 25, 2006

We stayed at Coral Beach for 10 days in July. We had a oceanfront one bedroom condo, with two balconies. It was very clean & comfortable. No problems parking, enjoyed the bands during the day. The pools were all very clean. Maid service was good always enough towels ect. We would stay here again.

4  Thank pdevine