“Should have known better”

Coral Beach Resort & Suites
Ranked #11 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed July 14, 2006

I should have been more insistent with my husband and refused to stay here - especially after reading other reviews about the (1) problems with elevators (we had our room changed from the 10th to 5th floor so we did not have to rely on the elevators AND to get the non-smoking room we requested (which was not guaranteed, we learned, on check-in), and the (2) noise (amateur singers, yelling, etc.) from the bar - which went on and on until the wee hours of the morning. But, my husband wanted a pool "on" the beach. We should have returned to the Best Western - ocean side suites - where we stayed before.

Stayed: July 2006
1  Thank kellygreta

Reviewed July 14, 2006

There are 6 of us. Me and hubby, 4 kids aging from 13-18. We all loved it. First of all, Coral Beach Resort is where the action is. It seems like its the only hotel on the beach that has a bar and entertainment therefore everyone comes and hangs here! We spent 11 days here and loved each day. The service was great, our suite was on the 11th floor not only with an incredible view of the ocean but it was very clean. Okay... the elevator sitiuation is a bit slow but damn... who cares.... we're on vacation!!! The bowling alley/gameroom was a plus. THank u Coral Beach Resort for a Great Vacation and those that are reading this.... do not miss out on BROADWAY AT THE BEACH......its a 5 star place! Have fun!!!

1  Thank burzbabe
Reviewed July 11, 2006

My stay at the Coral beach was great! The hotel was very nice and better than I expected. We arrived early and had to wait until 3pm for our rooms to be ready, but we were able to use the pool and beach area to relax. The rooms were very nice and spacious. The rooms were updated and provided a great view of the ocean. I know some of the people we were with had trouble with room keys, but all in all the rooms were great. The elevators were slow, but what do you expect when you are in Myrtle Beach during the 4th of July? The pools were kept very clean and we all really enjoyed the live band during the day and karoke during the night! The restaurant was a little pricey for some items, but they did offer huge portions on other items! I recommend the calzone! Probably won't stay at this hotel again, due to busy location and large volumes of traffic, but it's a great hotel with lots to offer! :)

1  Thank myrtlebeachsc
Reviewed July 6, 2006

We visited Myrtle Beach June 24 -30. The first day we arrived we had to contact the front desk. The key in the safe was bent and we had no round table, which I really needed to keep some of our things on. We had to contact the front desk twice. The asst. mgr. took note of it and said he would take care of it. The second day there was a different manager and she said each room was individually owned and there is no guarantee on the furniture. I didn't really buy into that excuse because they had a floorplan of all the rooms. We stayed in the Angle Oceanfront Room and it showed one round table with one chair, we had one chair. Needless to say, we never got the table. Also, we had to contact the front desk because our entire toilet moved and was not bolted down properly. At 10:00 PM, while we were sleeping, Maintenance came knocking on our door! Next day, Maintenance returned to fix toilet AFTER it overflowed.

The service was quick each time we called, pools were nice and always clean. Housekeeping was terrible. When you have to leave notes requesting them to do something, that should be part of their daily cleaning, you know it's bad. Sometimes we got towels, sometimes we didn't. Nothing was wiped down, coffee was never left in our room, and they didn't run a vacuum. I was constantly at the front desk getting towels and coffee packets.

There is a small fridge in the room, which is nice if they kept it plugged in. Took 24 hours to cool, good thing we had a cooler with us. Microwave was nice having in the room and seemed clean. Small coffee pot on top of microwave. Had to laugh, first morning my husband went to make coffee he took the cord to plug it in and it did not reach the outlet, it was too up high! What a joke! So, we moved coffee pot into bathroom.

The back patio was nice and we did enjoy sitting out listening to the music and the karoke. The covered garage was also nice to have.

We were given 4 free breakfasts at their restaurant for our inconveniences. Breakfast buffet was good.

To top off our stay, my husband lost the safe key within the last half hour of our stay. He went to pack up the car and lost it between the room and the car. Cost of $35.

Other than the hotel, we had a great vacation. Weather was decent and the ocean was a lot of fun.

I would not return to this hotel. For the price we paid, I expected much more. I would look into North Myrtle Beach and definitely look into a suite or a condo. Having a room of 4 (2 teenagers) was difficult. Definitely need more room.

7  Thank cat2630
A TripAdvisor Member
Lawrenceville, GA
Reviewed July 5, 2006

We stayed from July 1st to the July 6th. The children enjoyed it they went to the game room, played pool and went bowling. All of this is at the hotel. We stayed on the 12th floor and it was a breath taking view. Compared to the first time we stayed last year in Aug of 2005 and were on the first floor and could not see anything but a ugly gate and bushes. The second time around made up for the 1st disappointment. The night life was really cool, I even got up and sang for karaoke and made some friends. For the first time in 15yrs my husband and I had a date.The people at the resort are very friendly and fun. The bands that play during the day are great. The room service food is not the best. But there are plenty of places to order from. The staff was very pleasant and friendly. You really do not have to leave the resort if you don't want to. I would recommend it everyone. I will be back again before it gets to cold. Thank you for a great stay.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 3, 2006

My family and I stayed at the Coral Beach resort this past June of 2006. It was one of the worst hotels I stayed in. We were supposed to stay for four nights, but we left after two nights and found a much nicer hotel. Let's start with the rooms. We were referred to the hotel by a friend of mine and he said it was very nice. We went on the internet and saw these beautiful photos of the rooms and we figured we couldn't go wrong. Well I was wrong. When we pulled up to the hotel, my 10 year old daughter said "Daddy, this is a motel, we have to go outside on the balcony to enter our room". I have been through this in the Carribean before and I wasn't happy. The rooms were old and smelly and looked like they haven't been updated in 20 years. As soon as you walked into the suite you were in the raggy bedroom, from there you walked into the kitchen area and bathroom area and then you walked into the suite area with the pull out bed for the kids. The problem is the pull out is the beachfront room. The section my wife and I were in was next to the hallway. When we pulled the murphy bed down, it was so old I thought Jimmy Hoffa might have been burried in there. The location of the hotel is great, but when I travel I like top-of-the-line accomodations, and this was definately not it. I was interested in purchasing a condo from Coral Beach before my visit but that is definately out of the question.

7  Thank Harvey J
Reviewed June 26, 2006

After planning a vacation for our family of 5 to Myrtle Beach for several months, and going crazy over picking the right hotel, we settled on the Coral Beach. We had narrowed it to the Coral Beach, Sea Island and Hampton.
We (2 adults, 2 young adults and a young teen) stayed in a one bedroom condo, ocean front on the 9th floor. The room was clean, spacious and comfortable for our family. The noise from the bar was not a bother. The room had been recently renovated, although the workmanship was shody. The elevators were slow as others have mentioned.
The bottom line is that this hotel is a "fun" hotel with lots of different things to do-comedy, poolside bar, karooke, small bands, bowling, 10 pools, hot whirlpools, and right on top of the beach! The view was great.
The hotel is not luxury, but it was clean and comfortable. We spent little time in our room, so the no movies and no internet was not a issue. The beach in front of the hotel however was incredible--clean, warm and plenty of waves to ride. We felt that we got a good value for the money at the Coral Beach. We did visit the Hampton, which was a few doors down from us. The hotel lacks many of the things that the Coral Beach has, but it is much more refined and of a higher class than the Coral Beach. It would be good for couples. We drove by the Sea Island and it looked great, but it is even farther than I thought from the pavillion, amusements etc..

3  Thank DanDantheman