“Bloody Sheets, Ants in the beds, Rude clerk,Broken commode,Dirty walls”

Coral Beach Resort & Suites
Ranked #10 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
shelby, NC
“Bloody Sheets, Ants in the beds, Rude clerk,Broken commode,Dirty walls”
Reviewed June 22, 2008

I booked my stay through the hotels website. Upon arrival the hotel clerk attempted to charge me a different rate being $300 more than what I reserved. Fortunately I had my internet confirmation with me. The check in desk ceiling was pouring water from the laundry room into buckets...I mean a moderate flow around the light fixatures. After taking our luggage to the room, we left and returned 4 hours later only to find ants all over the nite stand including the spread more than a 100. I called down to the front desk and the hotel clerk informed me that there isnt anything she can do about ants. She stated that it rained recently and that probably caused them. As I sat on the bed my 4 year old starts yelling that she has ants on her. Well, she had 5 on her within 2 minutes of sitting on the bed. I jerked the linen off of the bed only to find sheets with blood stains on them toward the foot of the bed. The sheets were visibly dirty. The mattress pad had dried drainage on it as well. The clerk told me to find some hairspray to kill the ants. I dont wear hairspray. I had to move the furniture out. Buy insect spray. No other rooms were available @ any of the other properties. It was already past midnight and my children were sleep sitting in chairs @ the table. The clerk offered me a refund to find another hotel. No apology. Could not find a hotel after searching in the phone book for 2 hours. A housekeeper named Christine came in and changed my linen. She was very nice. But, this didnt help the ant situation. Ants crawled all over us the bed and floor all night. The commode broke and my nephew came over from another room to repair. The restaurants servers were handling the food without gloves picking up pancakes with fingers putting it on the bar. This was the worst experience I have had with a hotel and I travel for a living.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — Bloody linen and Ants
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Debbie040

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (696)
ohio
Reviewed June 15, 2008

The first day me and my 2 grandsons checked in, the lights between the beds didnt work, the fan in the bathroom wasnt working, the door handle on the sliding door was ready to fall off, there was no remote for the tv in the main room, the second day we stayed we got NO maid service, I had to go to the front desk and request it!!!!!!!!!!! The next day my grandson spilled some pop on the kitchen floor and when I cleaned it up OH MY GOSH, the FLOOR WAS FILTHY> the next day I asked the maid to clean the floor in the kitchen and bathroom, she did an awful job. To say the least I WILL NEVER GO BACK THERE AND WILL TELL EVERYONE I KNOW TO STAY CLEAR OF CORAL BEACH RESORT> I have also sent a letter to the Travel Channel, as on the outside board of the hotel, it said it was recommed by the Travel Channel !!!!!!! I asked for some type of credit on my bill as we were there for 4 days full of nothing but headaches. Well, you guessed it, no credit !!!!!

• Liked — sathe out door ammenities
  • Disliked — everything else!!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank ohioharleymom
Charleston, SC
Reviewed June 14, 2008

We decided to get away for a long weekend for a RARE child-free vacation last weekend. It was our 11th anniversary, and we plan to do more weekends like this in the future. I should start by saying in the past, we have traditionally looked at the best deals we could find, and stayed in those places. We DID stay at the Coral Beach Resort once before, and it was great. We got into the habit of looking to save 20 or 30 bucks a night by staying at places that offered less. I think when it comes to Myrtle Beach, we are going to change that in the future. While I can't say for sure, we have decided not to lower our standards below the Coral Beach Resort in the future. Quite honestly, the 20 or 30 bucks a night you save elsewhere is only 60-90 dollars over three nights. It is worth that to have a better weekend. OK... let me get to the review...

I WILL say we WERE disappointed in the initial room we were given. When I booked the room, I was told it was a double queen ocean-view room. When we checked in, the room was clean and all that, but it was a normal basic double queen room with a bathroom and balcony. The "ocean-view" was not what we expected. I asked the lady on the phone when making the reservation if it was on the side of the hotel, and she said "you can see the ocean from a 45 degree angle." What she was trying to do is not explain that the "ocean-view" rooms are not on the side, but BEHIND the ocean-front view rooms. It is hard to explain online, but the ocean-view wing is sort of angled out of the back of the main hotel wing that is oceanfront. I called the desk and said I was not happy with the room. They informed me that they had a true oceanfront room open. It was an additional 40 bucks a night, which, based on my wife's unhappiness, was a SMALL price to pay. We moved into our room on the 5th floor. We walked in and discovered a KING SIZE SUITE... It opened to a full king size bedroom that entered into a full kitchen with separate bathroom and sink area. Then the back of the suite was a living room with chairs/table/couch and a balcony looking directly onto the Atlantic ocean. This was SOOOOO worth it. We plan on staying in those rooms from now on. If we have to work a little extra to pay for it, that's fine. It was worth it. The room was awesome. I really enjoyed having two televisions. While we love each other, we don't usually enjoy the same programming. We arrived Friday night, and basically watched some tv before going to sleep. On Saturday morning, we woke up around 7AM to get right down to the beach. I went downstairs to find out if we could get beach towels. The lady at the desk said they would give us as many as we needed, so I asked for 4. This gave us a couple to place on the beach to keep our stuff from sitting in the sand, and a couple to dry off with if needed. That turned out great. I rented a couple of chairs and an unbrella from a lifeguard on the beach. That was $30 for the day. If you plan on spending any time on the beach, I highly recommend renting one. We placed our towels between the chairs, and brought a small cooler with us. It was heaven. If I closed my eyes, it was very similar to our trip to the Bahamas. The water was perfect. We alternated between the ocean and one of the many pools at the Coral Beach. The pool bar looked well stocked with anything you might enjoy. We didn't really buy anything there. The poolside grill was nice. We purchased a burger with slaw and chips for about $7. Not bad. It was a pretty decent burger. I WAS disappointed with the lazy river. I don't know if it was just the day we tried it, but I don't think the pump that makes the water flow was on. We got in and basically just sat in one spot. It isn't a very long lazy river anyways, so we just skipped it the rest of the trip. While the resort was pretty full, we never really felt like we couldn't enjoy the pools. Here is another tip.. if you go around the left side of the pool area, there is a large pool on the left side of the resort. Since you have to walk past several other pools, it was always the least crowded pool when we went there. It also had fewer children. The pool always had live entertainment from about 1PM until around midnight each night. There was always a band or karaoke going on all day/night. We enjoyed that. Even out on the beach, you could hear the entertainment. Back to the room for a minute... if you have a laptop, there IS free wireless internet, but it is only available in some public areas, HOWEVER, our room on the 5th floor was fairly close to one of the sundecks a couple of floors below us. We could sit on the balcony and get internet access. We could also sit on the table in the living room area, but the service did go out once in the room. If you have 2 kids, you could probably also use the room we stayed in. There was a fold-down wallbed in the living room. The bed looked about like a queen bed. You could use that for the kids in the evening if needed. The resort did have a bowling alley, but we never did get a chance to enjoy it. On Sunday morning, we went down to have the breakfest buffet. I really enjoyed it. The bacon was high-quality, well-cooked bacon, and the french toast was not typical "buffet" french toast. It was quite good. I wanted to eat 5 slices, but I kept it to 3 (I'm not going to quit eating, but I don't want to get too fat, LOL.) If you order coffee, it will cost you about a buck fifty. You can drink orange juice and milk though on the buffet. That is a tip if you are trying to save money. The breakfast was really good. OH, one other thing I wanted to mention... When we drove up to the hotel the first night, there were several younger people who looked like they might be up to no good near the road in front of the hotel. I noticed that several security guards were stationed near the front door. That made us feel safe. I doubt those teens were going to do anything, but it was nice to know the resort wasn't going to take any chances. We ended up spending 8 hours or so on Saturday and 8 hours or so on Sunday just sitting on the beach and/or swimming. It was wonderful. The elevator was fairly quick for us, and we were able to find luggage carts on arrival and departure easily. I recommend parking on level 2. It was generally less crowded, and you are able to park a little closer to the elevators. The Coral Beach Resort was EXACTLY what we were looking for. OH... one other thing I forgot to mention... While I have not had a chance to try it, apparently the Coral Beach has a plan that allows you to earn free nights. For each night you stay, you get 2 points per night. When you have 4 points, you can get a free night in the off-season. I think the off-season is Sept-May, which is not bad. Since we live an hour and a half to two hours away, we will definately use that program. I hope I didn't ramble too long. I wanted to give you a look at our trip, and anything I thought might be useful to you if you are planning a trip. If you are looking for a weekend away with the wife, or a full family vacation, I don't think you'll be disappointed in the Coral Beach Resort. I know we weren't:)

Raymond

• Liked — Room/View/Location on Beach
  • Disliked — Ocean-View Rooms were NOT acceptable... had to move.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RayCharleston_SC
colorado
Reviewed May 14, 2008

This resort was right on the beach and our room was oceanfront. We couldn't beat the view. We were upgraded to a condo because our first room smelled of cigarette smoke. The resort amenities were great... pools, gift shop, bar. The room felt dirty and a little outdated and I don't believe it is in the nicest part of town. But you are close to attractions and right on the beach.

• Stayed May 2008
2 Thank coloradogirl8
usa
Reviewed May 14, 2008

The lobby and pool area's were nice, well kept, and clean. The front desk staff was courteous and helpful. However, the room was FILTHY. There was an inch of crud and filth in the corners of the bathroom floor. The cabinets were sticky with filth. The tile floors were sticky and filthy. The room smelled. The kitchen and bath countertops were disgusting. I had to go out and buy Lysol to clean the unit myself. No one cleaned the room the first day. The 2nd day I had to request cleaning. My son politely pointed out to housekeeping the floors needed mopping. They never mopped. It didn't look like the floors had been mopped in months. They did very little cleaning at all. The bathroom smelled like raw sewage, had to leave the exhaust fan running and the bath door closed 24/7 to contain the smell. Maintenance had to come up twice to fix a broken shower handle, no light in the toilet area (which when the light was replaced, I wished I couldn't see the filth lurking in the corners), and the toilet wouldn't flush. The room was dated and run down. And to top it off, someone entered our room and stole my son's wallet on the 3rd day. So we had to file a police report, cut the vacation short, and return home to have his license replaced. After checking the room key entry records, they determined housekeeping were the only people to enter the room besides my family on the day the wallet went missing. Will never stay here again. Very bad experience. Recommend anyone visiting this area move a little further north up the beach and stay somewhere in the North Myrtle Beach area.

Stayed May 2008
1 Thank barbarapsc
Chicago, IL
Reviewed May 6, 2008

We were at the Coral Beach w/e 5/3. It was just what we were looking for. We arrived about an hour before check in and our room was ready, very smooth. Live entertainment at the beach bar everyday, which was great when laying by the pool. The beach bar was awesome due in part to the GREAT bartenders that were extremely friendly and helpful. We found out there isn't a lot of places that have a beach bar at their resorts. The in house store was well stocked and not to over priced. We stayed in an Ocean View room and the views were amazing!! We had never been to Myrtle Beach before and when we come back we will definitely stay here again. Overall the pools and common areas were very clean and the staff was very friendly.

• Liked — The beach bar, pools and access to the ocean
  • Disliked — Nothing we were really pleased with everything
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sconies2
ohio
Reviewed May 5, 2008

You want a place to stay at mb this the place!!!!!
We stayed on the top floor right dead in the middle above the outside bar and pool area and it was great to here music at night and to get the fresh air breeze.the bathrooms are clean,
and in the morning to see the sunrise on over theocean. I''ll tell you i didn't want to leave! the staff was very helffull and the parking was great and on site. if your going to go and stay at mb
this is the place to stay.and is located near everything,check in was a breeze and my kids loved the seprate rooms and kitchen,it makes you feel at home.
been going to mb for family vacation four 4 years and will not stay anywhere else/take my word on it, you wil not be dissapointed

• Liked — the stay in itself
  • Disliked — to far away from me
  • Stayed June 2005, traveled with family