“You never have to leave this resort - it has everything!”

Coral Beach Resort & Suites
Ranked #10 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Old Lyme, Ct
Reviewed February 26, 2004

These pools are awesome - so many to choose from and right on the beach! And the beach bar on the pool deck is like no other place we've stayed in MB - drinks, music and the ocean - it doesn't get better than that. The room was clean, bright and overlooked the ocean. Lot's to do with the kids - on site bowling, game room and ice cream. We'll be back.

There are newer reviews for Coral Beach Resort & Suites

Lynchburg, VA
Reviewed February 26, 2004

We had been staying at the Coral Beach for more than 15 years? - Lat time there was THE LAST TIME It was awful - elevators did not work, staff was not courteous, room was not as specified, room was dirty, hall ways were filty and for first time ever there were BUGS in the room? - I wrote to Management re our dissatisfaction and never got the coutsey of a reply - this after we had been regulars staying twice a year for more than 15 years? - Used to love to go in October or November an stay the whole month, but NEVER AGAIN! - They claim to have spent $2.5 million on refurnishing and repairs, but all we see is that awful gaudy paint job?

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 26, 2004

How great... a golf trip with a buddy for 5 days. Tee times all set up through the hotel and some of the finest courses around. Very exciting so far, isnt it? Then you arrive to the Coral Beach resort. We arrived early and asked about an early check in, the person at the counter seemed as if we had just asked for is kidney. No problem. We played out frirst round of Golf and went back to the hotel at about 2:30pm. We are still unable to check. Not a probelm, I understand that check in is not until 3:00pm. We finally made it to the room at about 10 after 3 to find bottle caps all over the balcony, hairs on the floor in the bathroom, hairs tangles in the phone cord next to the bed, soap and dust covering the backsplash in the bathroom, stains of several different colors on the linens, a greasy stove top and microwave and a room that stunk of some industrial air freshener that could have killed a large herd of buffalo in less than 30 seconds. Alright, everyone makes mistakes right? I went down to the desk in the lobby and informed them on how disgusting the room was and that we wanted ti completely recleaned while we went out to get something to eat. After returning to the hotel, my friend and I just wanted to sit down and relax, since that is what we went to Myrtle Beach to do along with playing Golf.
Upon arriving back to our room we found that the only thing that was done was that the air again had been blasted with that same "air freshener". Nothing else had been cleaned, nothing! So yet again, I went down to the lobby and asked for the manager. They offered to allow us to inspect another room and change rooms. At this point I had not desire to set foot in another one of these rooms. I was tired and had not slept in about 30 hours. I asked for our money back for the room and we would just go find somewhere else to stay. We found a nive Best Western down the street that was clean, imagine that? When booking this trip we though, wouldnt it be great to be on the beach just to hear the waves at night. Wrong move. While going to and from the Golf Courses we saw many many other beautiful new hotels that looked great except they were not on the beach. If you want a nice place to stay, head away from the beach and stay 2 or 3 miles inland and you will save yourself alot of hassle. Most of all the hotels on the beach did not scream out, "I am a nice comfortable place to stay." We saved $100.00 each just by going across the street from the beach. STAY AWAY FROM THE CORAL BEACH RESORT! Yuck, yuck, yuck!

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Old Lyme CT
Reviewed February 25, 2004

Was very excited to stay at coral beach especially after hearing about the recent renovations.After stepping in the room, 2 months of waiting, anticipation and excitement went down the toilet.The room was absoulutly vile.The smell,dust,slimy residue and cigarette burns were just the begining.There was hair everywhere,stuff all over the floor(crumbs,ashes,sand,bottle caps) the linens and pillows were covered with stains,most of the furniture was broken and severly outdated,plaster falling,most sockets and light switches were broken and the bathroom was smaller than an airplane bathroom and the list went on and on.We asked to have the room cleaned again while we went to dinner and we were assured it would be done.When we got back from dinner nothing had been done except someone emptied and entire can of disenfectent spray in our room.We got our money back and went elsewhere in a much less excited mood.I recomend to stay away from this hotel and your myrtle beach vaca will be more enjoyable.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 10, 2004

We keep going back each year at least twice and are rarely disappointed. Our summer trip is with the kids and you have to drag them away from the pools. The arcade and bowling alley keeps them entertained while I get some quite time. The winter trip is more for my husband and I to get away from everything. We relax in the jacuzzies and eat dinner right at the property, the food is really good for a small place. We even got a room for my parents this year as a present and they cant stop thanking us for the trip to Coral Beach. Thanks.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 6, 2004

We have stayed at the Coral Beach several times, and each time it got worse. For one thing, all rooms are smoking rooms, and they have an odor. We have a hightop van, and there is limited parking for those and even though they are marked to be used only for hightops, cars park in them and security ignores it. We did have an ant problem; the ants came in through the balcony floor and made a marching line to the couch, and would bite anyone sitting there. We were moved to another room. This room had minimal kitchen pots, no utensils. Dirty blankets. Dirty sink, drain stopped up with grease. Again we had to call down for what we needed. I will say the workers there were patient and well mannered.
The maids did not show up one day, but did manage to vacuum when they did. My daughter playing in the floor found assorted wrappers around the beds, and pieces of food in the corners. The store is nice, but the clerk is chain smoking inside the closed area and it chokes you up. We did like the bowling area, with pool tables, and small arcade, with nice staff there. I guess if you stay here, bring what you will cook with, and a set of linens and you're set. Well, maybe a vacuum too...

3  Thank lovesthatcrab
Roanoke, VA
Reviewed December 22, 2003

If you're considering staying at the Coral Beach "Resort", please read this. When we arrived (evening) the hotel looked lovely from the outside, all lit up and spiffy. We parked in the front lot (we were there in the off-season), and entered the impressive lobby. I was so happy with my hotel choice at this point, I could've just burst. The lobby was spacious, decorated beautifully, and immaculate. Checking in, I found the young lady working the counter to be, hmmm.....less than enthused. I felt as if I were bothering her. That was my first indication that we weren't exactly in the lap of luxury I had envisioned. So, that said, we were still getting a decent rate, and I was happy.

BUT THEN....

Stepping off the elevator on our floor (where the guest rooms are located) was humbling. I swear, I thought that this was some sort of omnivator that took us up, sideways, down, and around to some other hotel across town with a $14.95 a night rate. The hallway to the rooms was paved with a disgusting, once green carpet. The whole place had the smell of stale cigarette smoke and grease. Opening the door to our room, I was greeted with a large, iron-shaped burn in the middle of the carpet, with several smaller cigarette burns smattered across the rest of the carpeting. The walls had something, a reddish liquid, that had ran down and dried upon them...also some brown stuff in the same fashion, possibly cola. Our bedspreads were natty-looking...with burn marks (to match the carpeting?) and yellow stains. The air unit was on and emiting a foul odor, musty and mildewy. Under one of the beds lay a lone, dirty sock.

On to the bathroom, where the linoleum is cracked, and once again, full of cig-burns-a-plenty. There is sand in out bathtub. The stopper doesn't work, not that anyone would want to soak in this tub, anyway, and there's a big grimy handprint above the spigots.

We had a good time at Myrtle Beach, despite our accomadations. We managed this by spending ALOT of time away from the hotel, thus making this our most expensive vacation to date.

P.S.-Indoor pool was OK, not crowded at all (this was Feb.) probably the best-looking part of the hotel aside from the lobby.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member