“Loved the Best Western Carolinian”

Carolinian Beach Resort
Ranked #40 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reisterstown, Maryland
“Loved the Best Western Carolinian”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2007

Just retuned from a 4 night stay at the Best Western Carolinian in Myrtle Beach, SC., We booked a two bedroom, ocean front suite., I was very very pleased with the size of the suite, both bedrooms had two queen beds and it's own bathroom and a large living room with a double pull out sofa bed. We also had a full efficiency kitchen, with stove, microwave, frig, and dishwasher and also a washer and dryer. and the view of the ocean from the balcony was MAGNIFICENT!!!, wish we had planned a longer stay. We travelled with 4 adults and six children and still had plenty of room and everyone was comfortable.
The pools were a bit small, but our kids didn't mind and they a spent most of their time, when we were not sight seeing or eating , in the pool. I am a beach person and spent every minute I could in the ocean.
When we first arrived the toilet in one of the bath rooms was stopped up, but one call to maintenance and they had it fixed in a jiffy.
This was my first trip to Myrtle Beach, so I can not speak about any of the other hotels there, but I do know I plan to go back in the near future and I will be staying at the Best Western Carolinian.
Keep up the good work Best Western!!!!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank Sandy012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (590)
wv
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2007

this hotel is a disgrace to myrtle beach i stayed here in nov. and it wasnt to bad so i figured i would go ahead and book it again for our summer vacation. We go in to the lobby to check in and the front desk clerk is very rude its pretty sad when it takes three people to check you in and then the manager has to come in and do it and he is the rudest of them all we get to our room and there are no towels had top call room service to get them to bring us up some so later on that nite we figured we would order a pizza and guess what no phonebook well i call down stairs and tell the front desk that we didnt have a phone book "they said if you dont see one by now then i guess you dont have then do you" i said do you have an extra one they said no we dont. so finally i found some numbers in one of the myrtle beach sunny day guides and tried to call them and our phone doesnt work. i guess we never saw that one coming so then the next day we were walking down the hall and the maids door was open so i figured i would look in there and no one will guess what i found in there a whole stack of phonebooks... but they dont keep any now do they

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank lovelywv24
Fayetteville, NC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2007

I recently was booked at the Best Western Carolinian Beach Resort by Wyndham to participate in their timeshare presentation. When I first entered the room it was a musty odor and the carpets were soiled. One of the beds looked as if someone had been lying on it after it had been made. The toilet had urine in it and the shower curtain had a terrible smell. I ended up purchasing Pine Sol and cleaning the entire bathroom (but that still did not help the smell). I asked the front desk clerk if it was possible to change rooms, but I was rudely informed that they were booked. Although I was staying in an oceanfront room, since it was on the 1st floor my patio was face-to-face with the pool and the air conditioner unit. The next day I had to request fresh towels 3 times and finally received some at 4:30 p.m. The housekeeping staff and front desk staff were not friendly by any means. I was having plumbing problems at home, and I felt the hotel stay would be the opportune time to escape those problems.
I was scheduled to stay for 4 days and 3 nights, but after staying at this hotel, I realized that going home to plumbing problems was not so bad after all.

• Liked — When I checked out!
  • Disliked — Everything, customer service, cleanliness of the hotel, etc.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
3 Thank JoyFayetteville
South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2007

Wyndham (the time share company) booked us into this substandard property, the Best Western Carolinian in Myrtle Beach, SC after promising us a property comparible to the Wyndham in No. Myrtle Beach. The Best Western Carolinian was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. The bathtub was dirty. The rugs weren't vacuumed. The coffee cups and coffee service were not cleaned/replaced after use. Electrical outlets were not working, even after the engineer replaced them and reset the breaker. The wireless Internet access was not working and the staff could/would not fix it. The "non-smoking" room smelled of stale smoke. The staff was unresponsive to our housekeeping request for clean coffee cups, coffee maker and replacement of coffee packet. We felt baited and switched by Wyndham and we will tell everybody about it! Don't stay at this dump and be very afraid of Wyndham!

Stayed May 2007
1 Thank FredInSC
New York, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2007

My stay in Room 1033 in the tower was ok, but I had to run around after the maids to get toilet tissue and was promised towels that never arrived. We ended up washing our own towels the three days we stayed there. The room layout is nice, but really needed to be vacuumed and the windows had dead bugs on them that looked like they had been there since last season. It really is a shame because last year I was favorably impressed with the hotel. There was also a lot of drunken behavior which turned up at my door and pounded on it. I called the desk, but no one answered, and fortunately the "pounders" went away after they must have realized they were on the wrong floor. The pool was out of commission and we only had use of the lazy river and the sole jacuzzi. The place was fairly new last year, but what a difference a year has made. It looks pretty shabby. When we checked out (one night early) I mentioned the lack of cleanliness and the fact that their security did not answer when I called, the person at the desk was not even listening. I probably will not stay there again.

3 Thank AprilVac
Greenville, South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2007

From the moment we pulled up to this hotel our trip was a disaster. We had booked a two bedroom oceanfront suite at $219 a night, and I have had a better stay at a $80/night efficiency room at the 2.5 star Poindexter up the road! I have no idea why that hotel is rated at a mere 2.5 stars while this place gets 3! The staff were rude and slow, and gave us incorrect information on where to park. And the room was so disgusting when we arrived that we had to call and have it re-cleaned--and it took two calls and three hours to get someone up to do so! To top it all off, I got stuck in the elevator on my last morning. Thankfully, after a few nervous minutes, we got the door open, but let's just say that I lugged a suitcase down ten flights of stairs after that incident!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — everything else!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank ageeksaga
kentucky
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2007

We have stayed at different type of motels but this has to be one of the worse I have stayed at including the "MOM and POP" type motels. First of all the rooms were so SMALL and cramped for 2 adults 2 school age children. It was very outdated and the dirtness was unbelievable. I walked across the floor in the room with white socks and the were so dirty on the bottom I will probably have to throw them away. The tile hall ways were so dirty I really don't think they had been mopped in a VERY long time. It was really discusting. I wore shoes the rest of the time when walking on the carpet. The tub had a piece of cut plastic used for a bath mat. The vent in the bathroom had no cover and did not work very much at all. The mirrors fogged up, we had to leave the door open to keep from sweating and having to re-shower....
The second night there we had 2 towels and no wash clothes left in our room. The third night we had to go downstairs to get our own towels and wash clothes.
When I called and made reservations I requested no higher that the fifth floor and was told that was no problem but when I checked in I was told I was on the TENTH floor and no other rooms were available. Also pools were VERY small and COLD (not heated) although it was high 70's and low 80's when we were there. The lazy river pool is a joke.
Would I stay here again....NEVER NEVER NEVER my grandchildren didn't even like it and made comments about it being so dirty and pools being little and cold.

• Liked — view
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family