“What maid service?”

Ranked #40 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
New York, New York
“What maid service?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2007

My stay in Room 1033 in the tower was ok, but I had to run around after the maids to get toilet tissue and was promised towels that never arrived. We ended up washing our own towels the three days we stayed there. The room layout is nice, but really needed to be vacuumed and the windows had dead bugs on them that looked like they had been there since last season. It really is a shame because last year I was favorably impressed with the hotel. There was also a lot of drunken behavior which turned up at my door and pounded on it. I called the desk, but no one answered, and fortunately the "pounders" went away after they must have realized they were on the wrong floor. The pool was out of commission and we only had use of the lazy river and the sole jacuzzi. The place was fairly new last year, but what a difference a year has made. It looks pretty shabby. When we checked out (one night early) I mentioned the lack of cleanliness and the fact that their security did not answer when I called, the person at the desk was not even listening. I probably will not stay there again.

3 Thank AprilVac

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (590)
Greenville, South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2007

From the moment we pulled up to this hotel our trip was a disaster. We had booked a two bedroom oceanfront suite at $219 a night, and I have had a better stay at a $80/night efficiency room at the 2.5 star Poindexter up the road! I have no idea why that hotel is rated at a mere 2.5 stars while this place gets 3! The staff were rude and slow, and gave us incorrect information on where to park. And the room was so disgusting when we arrived that we had to call and have it re-cleaned--and it took two calls and three hours to get someone up to do so! To top it all off, I got stuck in the elevator on my last morning. Thankfully, after a few nervous minutes, we got the door open, but let's just say that I lugged a suitcase down ten flights of stairs after that incident!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — everything else!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank ageeksaga
kentucky
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2007

We have stayed at different type of motels but this has to be one of the worse I have stayed at including the "MOM and POP" type motels. First of all the rooms were so SMALL and cramped for 2 adults 2 school age children. It was very outdated and the dirtness was unbelievable. I walked across the floor in the room with white socks and the were so dirty on the bottom I will probably have to throw them away. The tile hall ways were so dirty I really don't think they had been mopped in a VERY long time. It was really discusting. I wore shoes the rest of the time when walking on the carpet. The tub had a piece of cut plastic used for a bath mat. The vent in the bathroom had no cover and did not work very much at all. The mirrors fogged up, we had to leave the door open to keep from sweating and having to re-shower....
The second night there we had 2 towels and no wash clothes left in our room. The third night we had to go downstairs to get our own towels and wash clothes.
When I called and made reservations I requested no higher that the fifth floor and was told that was no problem but when I checked in I was told I was on the TENTH floor and no other rooms were available. Also pools were VERY small and COLD (not heated) although it was high 70's and low 80's when we were there. The lazy river pool is a joke.
Would I stay here again....NEVER NEVER NEVER my grandchildren didn't even like it and made comments about it being so dirty and pools being little and cold.

• Liked — view
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank beachlover1106
DC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2007

Orbitz for some reason gave this hotel a 3 star rating, I would give it a 2 at most. The external of the hotel is nice and the new tower looks even better. Check in was easy even though most of the customer service reps were on the phone while we waited in line. No one went out of their way to provide excellent service. The room was fairly clean with the exception of the bathroom which wasn't as clean as in other hotels. The shower was the worst, the shower head would spray a slight stream and it would alternate from really hot to really cold, making it impossible to take a quick shower and a real pain. The shower curtain had a big cut in it and it was a hassle taking showers. The front desk receptionist was rude when we called to ask a question. The pools were not heated as stated on the website and the hot tub wasn't hot at all. Stayed there 2 nights and did not see a continental breakfast either of the two mornings, not even coffee. The view of the beach and the location were the only things worth staying there. I would definetly not recommend it to a friend though.

• Liked — The location and the ocean view
  • Disliked — The staff, shower and older room condtion
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank oviera
Peoria, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2007

My wife and I checked in at the Carolinian Dec. 31, 2006 --checked out March 1, 2007 (61 days). We stayed in a (2) BR (2) bath suite on the 14th floor in the tower.

The suite was IMMACULATE when we arrived. Everything was in good working order our entire stay. We always had an ample supply of towels - kitchen and bath. The suite was cleaned and bed linens were changed every Tuesday - the day we requested. The beds were very comfortable.

The entire hotel staff was always very cordial and helpful.

Although the indoor heated Lazy River and indoor hot tub were enjoyable, I wish there was an indoor heated pool.

We spent a lot of our time walking the beach which was very enjoyable.

• Liked — Oceanfront location
  • Disliked — Having to park in the second deck occasionally (a block away) when first deck was full.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BKCK
Detroit
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2007

We stayed at this hotel march 13-15 and we had a great time. Staff was friendly and helpful, rooms were spacious and very clean. The bed was comfortable and the balconies are of great size. Even ocean view rooms had a great view so you really don;t have to pay extra for an oceanfront. Its at a great location. But we stayed at the new tower which you should request. Our room number was 2034 which is great if your lookin for a one bedroom suite but the 12th level has amazing 2 bedroom suies. TRUST ME DO NOT LISTEN TO THE BAD REVIEWS!! Im very picky when it comes down to hotels and i was impressed. Just make sure to stay at the new tower. The only negative comment I would say is that the rooms arent modern like the ones you would find in MIAMI. They still have the colorful bedcovers. But other then that, its a great place!

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — moderness
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank zzash
Raleigh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2007

I have stayed at the Carolinian several times and cannot really understand some of the negative reviews. My stays have been only positive experiences.

I do recommend getting a room in the new tower rather than the older hotel. The tower units are all condos. They have great full kitchens with dishwasher, full sizes refs, oven micro etc. They even have washers and dryers in all rooms. These are modern, first class accomodations by any estimate with floor to ceiling glass, central heat/ac, tile etc. There is only one stack of direct ocean front one bedrooms so I would request one of those for just a few dollars more. Otherwise you get what they assign and many one bedrooms are ocean view. All the two bedrooms are ocean front but some are bigger than others.

The building is centrally located also. The only downside are the amenities. I wish the lazy river was bigger but for the quality of the rooms we did not really mind. The beach is more fun anyway in the warm months.

• Liked — Rooms with kitchens you can actually use!
  • Disliked — The pools were small
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family