“Great place...DO NOT LISTEN TO THE BAD REVIEWS!”

Carolinian Beach Resort
Ranked #61 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Detroit
“Great place...DO NOT LISTEN TO THE BAD REVIEWS!”
Reviewed March 14, 2007

We stayed at this hotel march 13-15 and we had a great time. Staff was friendly and helpful, rooms were spacious and very clean. The bed was comfortable and the balconies are of great size. Even ocean view rooms had a great view so you really don;t have to pay extra for an oceanfront. Its at a great location. But we stayed at the new tower which you should request. Our room number was 2034 which is great if your lookin for a one bedroom suite but the 12th level has amazing 2 bedroom suies. TRUST ME DO NOT LISTEN TO THE BAD REVIEWS!! Im very picky when it comes down to hotels and i was impressed. Just make sure to stay at the new tower. The only negative comment I would say is that the rooms arent modern like the ones you would find in MIAMI. They still have the colorful bedcovers. But other then that, its a great place!

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — moderness
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank zzash

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (603)
Raleigh
Reviewed February 20, 2007

I have stayed at the Carolinian several times and cannot really understand some of the negative reviews. My stays have been only positive experiences.

I do recommend getting a room in the new tower rather than the older hotel. The tower units are all condos. They have great full kitchens with dishwasher, full sizes refs, oven micro etc. They even have washers and dryers in all rooms. These are modern, first class accomodations by any estimate with floor to ceiling glass, central heat/ac, tile etc. There is only one stack of direct ocean front one bedrooms so I would request one of those for just a few dollars more. Otherwise you get what they assign and many one bedrooms are ocean view. All the two bedrooms are ocean front but some are bigger than others.

The building is centrally located also. The only downside are the amenities. I wish the lazy river was bigger but for the quality of the rooms we did not really mind. The beach is more fun anyway in the warm months.

• Liked — Rooms with kitchens you can actually use!
  • Disliked — The pools were small
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Sunchaser007
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed January 20, 2007

The outside of the motel looks quite nice, it is a tall building recently painted right on the beach. The loby is small, but nice. We got to our room and I couldn't believe it! The bathroom was dirty and very old and run-down. There was drywall cracking and falling off the walls. The beds were hard and squeeky and one of the plugs was falling off the wall. The carpet was dark green and looked dirty.

Decided to check out and stay somewhere else. Hotwire rates this as a 3.5* hotel, I'd say it is more like a 2*

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The rooms
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank googinsg
SC
Reviewed September 12, 2006

Excellent manager was on site checking everything (very usual to see a manager) ; clean rooms; polite well-trained staff. Only drawbacks are parking, but they do as well as space allows and no breakfast. But the overall management is well worth a stay.

Stayed August 2006
2 Thank PCH64
Kentucky
Reviewed September 10, 2006

Vacationers beware. Upon arrival, I saw a bug in the bed, but not being knowledged on bed bugs or anything, I did not really know what it was, so I just assumed that it was maybe some sort of other bug. I did keep looking around for more, however, and upon the length of stay there, 4 nights, I did kill at least 6 or 7 bugs. There was only 1 in the bed, but I killed several on the walls behind the bed. Now I have come home and am going to have to look over our bed and suitcases, as I have come back and researched bed bugs and I am certain that that is what they were. I have not contacted the manager yet at the hotel, but I am in the process of contacting them to let them know about the problem. I am sure that there were more as I killed several of them myself and probably did not kill them all. I read up on several articles about signs and symptoms and all of these apply to my stay and the bugs that I found. I am considering contacting some type of health place about this hotel, depending upon how I am treated by the manager and how they will attempt to direct their attention to this problem. We stayed in the shorter resort, I guess the older one, not the new tower. So, beware of bed bugs and read up on how to look for signs of them before you stay a night. We stayed for 4 nights but if I would have known the signs beforehand, I would have either requested somewhere else or requested my money back and went elsewhere. I just hope that I did not bring these pests home with me to infest my house.

A concerned traveler

• Liked — o/f
  • Disliked — BED BUGS
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away if you don't want to sleep with bed bugs.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
6 Thank righttoknow
columbia, sc
Reviewed September 10, 2006

My mom and I planned a short vacation together for Labor Day and we always stay at the Best Western Carolinian when we go to Myrtle Beach. Not only is it perfectly located to our favorite restaurants and entertainment spots, but the management and staff there are incredibly professional and accomodating. We stayed in their new towers oceanfront and were in awe at the size and cleanliness of the room. It was first class! When we pulled into the property, we were greeted by smiling attendants ready to direct us to check-in and take our luggage. The front desk staff was expedient, very friendly and called us by name making us feel like they knew us. At one point in our stay, we needed some towels and called to request them. We ran an errand and came back to find a warm stack of towels waiting for us. We absolutely love staying at this hotel and each and every time, it seems the refinement of the establishment has impressed us even more. We dreaded having to leave and although we wish we could live there, we know our "chosen temporary home" at the beach will be there for us next time! I will recommend this hotel to all my friends and co-workers for their next Myrtle Beach vacation. Thanks for reading!

• Liked — The cleanliness and convenience.
  • Disliked — There is nothing we were displeased with.
  • Tips/Secrets — Breakfast restaurant within walking distance to save you from having to get your car from the garage.
  • Stayed September 2006
4 Thank RWBinSC
Lumberton, NC
Reviewed September 10, 2006

We stayed at the Best Western Carolinian Resort on Sept. 8-10, 06. We had booked for one night and stayed in an oceanfront room with a kitchenette. The view was fabulous! My husband and I have three girls and we had plenty of room for them. The next night we stayed in an ocenview room. It was bigger than the oceanfront because it didn't have the kitchenette. The staff was frinedly and very helpful. We were going to just spend one night, but after the first night we decided to spend another, that is why we had two different rooms. Our only problem was by the pool. The lazy river is next to the hot tub and 3 couples were drinking and acting in ways that was not appropriate for my girls to see. One guy in the group was stumbling when he went to get more drinks and they brought back a cooler of alcohol. When we complained to the staff, we were told that he had worked there for however many years and he saw people drinking all the time in the hot tub. He said it was private property and they were allowed to drink. On the wall of "Pool Rules" it says "NO ALCOHOL". We cut our time in the lazy pool short. I can't say for sure if we are going back. Although we did enjoy our stay. We were in the old building and we had no problem with the rooms. It was clean.

• Liked — The Lazy River and very close walk to the Beach
  • Disliked — The hotel allowed people to drink alcohol in the hot tub and around the pool
  • Tips/Secrets — Get an oceanfront room!!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family