“This place sucks!”

Carolinian Beach Resort
Ranked #70 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed June 22, 2010

The room that was assigned to us was HORRIBLE. The toilet broke twice while we where there and the A/C worked when it wanted to. When I called the front desk to let then know of the issues with the room, they said that there were no other rooms available. The room was so small, it barely fit both of the beds. There was no oceanview from our balcony, just the a view of the other side of the hotel. So, my family and I had to suffer the whole weekend. I really don't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed June 22, 2010

I Have Never Been Taken Care Of So Well ! We Booked Our Stay And On The First Day The Folks At The Hotel Upgraded Our Room Because Of A Mix Up . Feed Us Every Morning For Breakfast And The Bell -Hop "Mike" Was Very Accommodating "Wonderful".
If You Want To Stay At A Very Nice Place With Your Family This Is The Place - No Parties No Hassle Just Good Time On The Beach.

Reviewed June 20, 2010

We arrived at the hotel on Monday June 14, 2010 at 1PM, to find our room ready 3 hours prior to Checkin! How awesome it was to have an extra full day at the beach. This hotel was awesome from the second I talked to Rita on the reservation line all the way through checkout. We rebooked our trip to Panama City because of oil at the last minute and decided to come to Myrtle Beach. I called on the way in on Monday to see if an early check in was even possible and they were so understanding , asking me how far out I was, etc. I think they may have cleaned our room to ensure our early checkin but that is just speculation. All of our special request were met. We had asked for a room on a high floor with a view. When we got there they already had us on the 18th floor with an awesome view. We stayed in a 1BR oceanview which I have included some pictures for you as well of the "oceanview" side of the tower. The tower is awesome. 3 glass elevators make the trip to your room even more awesome. The layout is perfect. I really can not say enough good things about this hotel. Call the reservation line directly for the best rates. The rate I found online was $199 for our room, I called the hotel directly and got $179, give a AAA discount and that knocked it down to $160. Parking is 150 feet from the elevators to the garage. You enter the garage with your room key so it is somewhat secure. The garage is really not an issue. You can walk to most anything from this location. If parking is such a hassle for you, pay $8 and use the valet. We had no issues with parking. 1 indoor, 1 outdoor pool, a hot tub, lazy river, easy beach access restaurant across the street with very affordable food! Thank you Best Western Carolinian for making our vacation PERFECT! See you soon!

1  Thank davidludwig2005
beachbumz6000, Oceana Representative at Carolinian Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am pleased to read that from start to finish you had a perfect vacation. I am glad that Rita was able to help you when you were setting up your reservation and that the front desk was able to accommodate you when you arrived before check in. I am happy that you enjoyed the view from your room and that we were able to get a good price for you. I hope that you will come back and stay with us again soon.

Reviewed June 18, 2010

We decided at the last minute to go to the beach for Memorial Day weekend completely unaware that it was BLACK BIKE WEEK that week. We actually found the people watching fascinating during bike week, complete with a naked lady on the beach and men taking photos of girls' booties while they bent over all day and all night. We're from Atlanta, so we are used to all kinds of things going on around us.
The hotel is in a great location, and our room was just okay. It needed a bit of updating, was a bit small and narrow, and the kitchen had hardly any counter space, but it wasn't that bad. The balcony only had two chairs and was very small, which did bother me as we had my mother with us and wanted to be able to enjoy breakfast outside in the mornings. Mostly, we were disappointed with the hot tub, which has lights or concrete bumps at the bottom of it, which poses a safety hazard. My husband fell getting into it while holding the railing and his knee is still busted even now. It was also only lukewarm. A HOT tub should be HOT! In addition, one of the two elevators were broken the entire weekend we were there and the other elevator stopped on every floor even if no one had pushed the button, which caused a 10-15 wait to get up or down from our room. The staff also has to share these elevators. Our room was adequate, I suppose, but the hot tub and the elevators really did irk us. The walk to the parking garage was no big deal, though, so if that's the only thing you are worried about, don't be. Most of the hotels have their parking across from the street along the whole strip. The staff did seem to be trying to accomodate us, though. They brought us a new hairdryer when we discovered that ours did not work. As for the lady at the door selling trips, time shares, and giving restaurant recommendations-- IGNORE HER! She is working on commission and will not give you honesty.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for writing a review. I am sorry to read that you won’t choose to stay with us again. I would like to apologize to you since the elevators where down and that hot tub wasn’t hot during your stay. I can tell you that these things have been fixed since you have stayed with us. I do hope that you will give us a try again one day.

Reviewed June 17, 2010

Our stay at the Best Western The Carolinian Beach Resort in Myrtle Beach was not very pleasant. We notice a large number of bikers and asked the clerk if it was bike week b/c when during research online we understood bike week to have been 2 weeks earlier. The clerk advised that there was nothing going on in town that week. No one was the clerk totally unaware that there was a huge bike week planned but he was unable to provide any insite on attractions/pick-up, etc. When we got to the room, we discovered that the 2nd bed in our suite was broken. There is no way the maid didn't realize this while cleaning the room. We thought, no big deal since there was a murphy bed/pull out sofa in the room. Well upon attempting to use the pull out; we find a mattress soaked in blood. DISGUSTING. Then comes check-out. There are 2 elevators for a resort that has well over 9 floors and 1000 plus rooms. The maids and staff have to use the same elevators as the guests so it took upwards of 45 mins for us to catch an elevator down from the 9th floor to check out. This caused major traffic jams, late check outs, and many many unhappy guests both checking out and arriving. I most definitely would not recommend this hotel, especially on a holiday week/weekend.

The only positive experience was the hotel was on the beach.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for writing a review. I would like to apologize to you for the problems that you encountered while staying with us. There are two bike rallies in the month of May that spill into Myrtle Beach. The one that happens over Memorial Weekend is mostly located in North Myrtle Beach. However, this year we had a lot of biker come to the Myrtle Beach area. I would also like to apologize to you for the condition that your room was in. Let me assure you that this isn’t standard practice for us. I hope that you will give us another chance some time in the future.

Reviewed June 14, 2010

After a disappointing trip to Myrtle Beach last summer, my husband and I decided to give it one more shot, but do things differently. We decided we wanted to stay on the beach, so we booked our stay at the Best Western Carolinian. We stayed in the older part of the hotel, but it was wonderful. We had an oceanview (not oceanfront) room; our room had a side balcony, but the ocean was still quite visible.

Getting to the ocean is ridiculously easy. Walk past the lazy river and through the gates, and you're on the ocean. Parking was across the street, which was a slight grumble, but there's not exactly a lot of room next to the hotel or underneath the hotel to park cars.

The hotel was located perfectly for us; blocks away from restaurants, a mile from the new boardwalk, and minutes by car to Barefoot Landing and Broadway at the Beach. With its location, the noise level is remarkably low. During our stay, the hotel was completely sold out, yet I never heard any of the other visitors making noise. Traffic noise from outside was low as well, ensuring a peaceful sleep.

Would I come here again? Let's put it this way.. I'm already planning my next stay in August.

1  Thank Jennifer D

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am happy to read that you and you husband decided the give Myrtle Beach one more try and that this time you liked the location that you stay at. I am glad that you found the location of the resort to be perfect and that you liked how close to beach was. We are looking forward to seeing you again in August.

Reviewed June 14, 2010

I was not sure about any of the hotels on the beach but took a chance with this one. From the front desk we were greeted in a great way. I had made reservations for just a 2 queen room but after spending the night before on the road and not having the ideal room with a 2 queen room, I asked the clerk here if I could get something bigger. They accomadated me with a 2 bedroom suite with a full kitchen and 2 baths. It was fantastic!! We had a 15th floor oceanfront view of the beach and all the amenities of home. We also had free breakfast at the Magnolia across the street. The location is up the road from all the nightlife and this hotel is mostly among other hotels. It was perfect for what we wanted. Parking was one street over but that wasn't an issue. The price was as reasonable as you can get! Will definitely stay here when we come back.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank karoni2

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased to read that when you asked about getting a different room type the staff was able to accommodate your needs. I am glad that you found the location to be perfect and that you would come back and stay with us again. We are looking forward to seeing you the next time you come to town.