“Would Stay Again.***Handicap Tip***”

Carolinian Beach Resort
Ranked #58 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Roanoke, Virginia
“Would Stay Again.***Handicap Tip***”
Reviewed May 16, 2010

My husband and I took my mother to MB for a late Mother's Day gift. When we arrived at 3:30pm on Friday the 14th we were immediately given a room and the bell hop took our things to our room (if you use this service please remember to tip). That is a plus for us since my mother is handicapped and lugging our things upstairs would have been difficult. We were very surprised at how nice the room was and immediately the atmosphere was comfortable and relaxing . After a couple of hours we noticed the air conditioner and the refrigerator did not work. It was getting late so we opened the door and used our coolers and thought we would call down in the morning. We called down Saturday morning and maintenance came up while we were at breakfast and fixed the air conditioner and man what a difference. Unfortunately, we called twice about the refrigerator and it was never fixed. That was fine for us because we had 2 coolers and just made do. However, if we would have stayed longer this would have been and inconvenience. The room had a washer and dryer which was awesome for keeping our swim suites clean and sand free. We ran into several employees on the elevator and near the pool and they are all so friendly and appear to love their job which was a refreshing surprise. ***A tip for handicap travelers*** apparently there is a law in SC where you can park anywhere without paying if you have a handicap placard/tag. So park in the lot next door and display your handicap placard/tag and you do not have to pay and it is easy access to the elevator. We paid and found this out later. We didn't use the pool so I am not sure about the temp or cleanliness but I am sure it was just fine. Overall it was a very relaxing mini trip and oh yeah I almost forgot that for each night you get 2 free buffets at Magnolias restaurant which is about a block up the road and really good to be free. I would definitely recommend this hotel and only had a minor complaint and I am sure if I would have been persistent it would have been rectified.

1 Thank jenjenzz
beachbumz6000, Oceana Representative at Carolinian Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 25, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am happy that you were so surprised by how nice your room was and that the staff got your air conditioner fixed in a timely manner. I am sorry that the staff didn’t get your refrigerator fixed while you were staying with us. I am glad that you had a good time on your mini vacation and I hope that the next time you take one you will stay with us again.

Autumm Fenstermacher

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (599)
Stockland
Reviewed May 13, 2010

This was the best hotel we have ever stayed at. It was clean, roomy, staff was exceptional!! And not to mention the view was spectacular!! Plan on returning again next year and bringing more family!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Rensselaer, Indiana
Reviewed May 12, 2010

Overall very pleasant stay. Beds in our room were uncomfortable. We stayed in a 2 room, 2 bath, full kitchen, living room, ocean front balcony. There were 8 in our room(s)...3 adults & 5 kids from age 2-14. Kids loved the indoor lazy river & being able to walk out to the ocean. The 2 youngest girls loved playing in the sand & looking for shells. I would definitely stay here again but would want to see if they have different mattresses in other rooms. We could walk to almost everything we wanted to do. There is a place called Margaritaville not too far away...we didn't know about it until we were getting ready to leave...looked like nice place for all ages...rides, movies, nightlife.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank prescotterica
beachbumz6000, Oceana Representative at Carolinian Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 13, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am happy to read that you were had a pleasant stay. I am sorry that you found the beds to be uncomfortable. I hope that this won’t deter you from coming back and staying with us again. I am glad that the kids had a great time playing on the beach and in the pools. Broadway at the Beach is only a couple of blocks from where you were staying and yes, it has nightlife, a movie theater, IMAX Theater, restaurants and many other items. I hope that you will come back and stay with us again soon.

Greenville SC
Reviewed May 12, 2010

I was traveling here with a dance group for the weekend. I am a hotel manager of another major chain so I am pretty particular where I stay. I have to say the service was superb for this type of property (midscale). Everyone we encountered spoke and smiled throughout our visit. I asked our housekeeper about pool towels and she called someone for them and came back to my room to let me know they would be waiting at the desk and they were.
The room was clean as was the bathroom. Bedding seems new including sheets and towels. Pillows are not great as another guest commented- they are way to thick and hard to sleep on. The lighting in the bathroom is poor- fluorescent lighting over the mirror and no lighting near the shower so it is quite dark. My daughter and I had to put on our makeup using the mirror in the bedroom. Not a huge deal., but still noticeable.
The pools are small, yes, but I think most people spend their time on the beach when in Myrtle beach. There could have been more lounge chairs by the pool.
We did get a free breakfast voucher for the restaurant across the street which was not expected, but certainly appreciated. The food is mediocre and a buffet. We only used the voucher for one morning, but still saved us $.
The price was right for sure and accomodations were as expected. Service did stand out which is huge in my book.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank travelgrl1
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased to read that you found the service to be superb and that your room was clean. I hope that you will come back and stay with us the next time you come to town.

Prosperity
Reviewed May 10, 2010

We stayed three nights at the Best Western Carolinian and enjoyed our stay. We stayed in an oceanfront room and it was adequate for the two of us. We don't cook while on vacation, but we did use the microwave to warm up leftovers from a meal out. The staff was very friendly and helpful; you couldn't ask for better. The bed was comfortable, but the pillows were terrible. They were great for sitting in bed watching TV, but not for sleeping. They were too thick and didn't punch down. My husband put two towels in a pillow case and used that as a pillow the third night. The first two nights, we threw the pillows on the floor and slept without a pillow. As someone else reviewed, the carpet was stained, but it was clean. The decor was up to date and very nice. The shower was the best part! I loved it! The hotel is within walking distance to the Sea Captain's House, a nice seafood restaurant right on the beach. It's also within walking distance to the center of Myrtle Beach where all the Ripley's attractions are, if you like that kind of thing.

1 Thank lovestotravel096
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and found the shower to be the best part of your stay. I am sorry that you found the pillows to be uncomfortable. I hope that this reason won’t deter you from coming back and staying with us. I am glad that you liked the location of the resort since you were so close to many attractions. I hope that you will come back and stay with us again soon.

New York City, New York
Reviewed May 5, 2010

Checked in late, received a wonderful room upgrade to a suite with a balcony facing the ocean. Fantastic views of the shoreline and the breaking waves, very relaxing. Had a great time shopping at Broadway on the Beach, only about 1.5 miles away. Did a lot of walking on this trip. Did not need to rent a car. Walked to and from the convention center, as well. $20 cab ride from the airport (May 2010) was my only travel expense, here.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank SuperTech23
beachbumz6000, Oceana Representative at Carolinian Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 10, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad that you found your upgrade to be wonderful and that you had a fantastic view from you balcony. I am glad that you liked the location of the resort since you were able to walk everywhere that you wanted to go. I hope that you will come back and stay with us again soon.

Thornhill, Canada
Reviewed May 4, 2010

My husband and I had reserved a suite with a king-size bed, rather than two queens. As I entered the suite, I saw two queen-size beds and a washroom. "Uh oh," I thought. "Perhaps we weren't given a suite with a king-size bed after all." I called the front desk right away. The friendly voice said, "Oh but, Ma'am, if you step a little further into the suite, you'll see that you were given a little bit of an upgrade ..." I did, and WOW! We had a suite that is larger than some apartments we have lived in! We had two large bedrooms, two full-size washrooms, a stackable washer and dryer, a full-size kitchen, three flat screen TVs, a living room with a pull-out couch ... and a balcony with a view of the Atlantic Ocean. Did we ever feel spoiled! It was a real treat to stay there. The suite was beautiful and clean, and the staff members were all very nice.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am happy to read that you were surprised by the upgrade that you were given and that all the staff members were very nice. I am glad that you found your suite to be beautiful and clean and I hope that you will come back and stay with us again.