“Disappointed - Carolina Winds” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Carolina Winds

Carolina Winds
Ranked #60 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach SC
“Disappointed - Carolina Winds”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2008

My wife and I stayed at this hotel from June 30-July 2nd and we were disappointed to say the least! There was not enough parking, and the spaces were very hard to get in and out of, the room was not as clean as we feel it should have been, we were under the impression that we were gettind an Ocean Front room, however, we had a "SIDE ANGLE VIEW", in which was horrible, along with looking down over the hot tub to see adult making out in the pool! Needless to say I had to make sure my kids did not go out! The staff barely spoke with we saw them, and rarely had a smile on their face. The hotel did not have private chairs and umbrella's for the beach, and was at a public beach access, in which anyone could come in and out to use the pool b/c the gate was never locked. The Lazy River on the website does not entail that its located at the builing across the parking lot! My wife called to confirm the reservation and the male attendant that she spoke with was very rude! He was short with her b/c she did not have her reservation number and told her that "we go by number!" and then spit the number out so fast that she could barely catch it! The Price was ok, however you get what you pay for! or in this case maybe not! I would have gladly paid a little more to have more amenities! The Website is very misleading on this, the arcade was very small, as well at the workout space ( notice space, not room). The hotel however, is at a good location, we are close to everything we wanted to do, but the beds were terrible.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — cleanliness
  • Stayed June 2008
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
nc
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2008

We stayed at Carolina Winds in July of 2008. We have stayed there a few times before.

Overall, I like Carolina Winds and I will probably return.
I wasn't as pleased with this trip as in the past.

The room we were given was on the 2nd floor. It was a one bedroom angle view suite. The view wasn't very nice on the 2nd floor. Also we had to listen to constant air conditioning noise from outside the bedroom. The pool was right in front of us and the noise level was horrible. Kids screamed and yelled all day and part of the night. Those noises echo because of the way the building is made. There is no escaping it.

In the future I will request of room higher. I did ask to change our room, as we were not happy, but the staff said there was nothing they could do.

We didn't have any sheets or blankets for the sofa bed the first night. We had to run to walmart at 1 am so we could sleep that night. (the kids had the beds in the bedroom)

When we actually could lay down, we discovered the sofa bed was so hard with springs stabbing us in the back. I slept on the couch without using the sofa bed and my husband slept sitting up in a chair the first night. We went to walmart the next day and purchased an air mattress so we could sleep the rest of the week. They couldn't give us another room so we had no choice but to buy an air mattress. There was no way anyone could sleep on the worn out sofa bed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The rooms are individually owned, so be careful. We have had rooms that were outstanding, but this year it wasn't very nice at all.

We kept finding vanilla wafers and oreo's around the edges of furniture. We didn't have any cookies they had to come from former renters. The furniture is old and semi worn. The carpet needs a deep cleaning. I wore socks one day and they were black on the bottom. ICK.................

The cookware was bad. Everything stuck to the pans...... so off to walmart I went to purchase a pot and pan that we were able to use.

So be sure to ask for an updated, CLEAN room. I know Carolina winds has them, but this year we got the short end of the stick.

I would recommend this hotel, but I will never stay in that particular room.... ever........... ever.............ever......... again!!!!!!

• Liked — affordable
  • Disliked — old room needed updating.......
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank wics4
michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2008

We had a great time. My wife, myself and 2 teen boys. Or check in was fast and early. We stayedin the angle oceanfront 1 bed suite. The room was clean house keeping was there every morning. Plenty of room for the4 of us.The staff was frendly and helpful. We stayed on the 2nd floor and the view was good, had a view of main pool and the beach.the pools and hot tub were clean and nice. Great place for the money. Can't wait to return next year.

• Liked — close to the ocean
  • Disliked — elevators were slow
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank MichiganSunseakers
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2008

We stayed at the Carolina Winds in Myrtle Beach and had a great time. The hotel is right on the beach and has several amenities to keep the kids happy. The inside and outside hot tubs were fabulous and always available. The indoor pool was just what we needed after a full day on the beach and a Mom really tired. The lazy river pool was fun for the kids and nice chairs for relaxing while in constant observation. The restaurant was so reasonably priced, i was truly surprised with the quality. Its a great place for all ages!!

Barbara Dabbs
Charlotte, NC

• Liked — Access to beach
  • Disliked — Accommodations had a kitchen and were clean -- nothing negative
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank MyrtleBeachVacati0n
Blountville, TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2008

My sister-in-law, her 4 year old son and I came back from staying at Carolina Winds a couple weeks ago. We made the reservations online. The reservations were very easy. You could check the room availability online and the layout of each room. My husband and I had stayed there 2 years ago and the prices were very reasonable. We actually took advantage of an internet special they had going at the time. They have great internet specials. As a matter of fact, my husband and I as well as some friends are going to take advantage of the stay 7 nights and pay for 5 special in August.
The staff was very helpful. They had my online reservation ready when we got there and check-in was virutally hassle free. It was quick, and we were up in the room unloading luggage within 10 minutes of arriving.
The staff is very cordial and knowledgeable. Everyone goes out of their way to help you out. Trying to keep a 4 year old occupied is kind of a hassle at times, but they had activities set up at the pool area. They answered questions about the activites as well as a local park. They gave us information about it and took the time to tell us how to get there.
The cleaning staff was very nice as well. They checked on us to make sure that we had what we needed daily.
One of the best things was that when we would go and eat in the evening, we would always have leftovers. We were able to take them back and put them in the fridge and warm them up in the microwave the next day for lunch. The room was equipped with dishes, glasses, utensils, an oven, pots, pans, fridge and microwave. All the eminities of home. There was a sink that we could wash dishes. I think that this is such a good idea. You can go to the store and buy drinks and food to keep in the room and not have to worry about having to spend so much cash on eating out. Especially if you travel a long way and spent quite a bit on gas.

Stayed June 2008
1 Thank deaconswife03
Indy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2008

Carolina Winds is just like home. We have been staying at this condominum hotel for over 25 years. It has been a great place for our children to grow up and now offers my husband and me the best "empty nest" we could want in Mytrle Beach.

Carolina Winds is far away enough from the busyness of downtown that we are never overwhelmed by crowds. However it is close to all area attractions and the North Mytrle area. We enjoy any room we have knowing they are well cared for and the peacefulness of the ocenfront balconies gives us just what we want to relax, walk on the beach and enjoy the grand strand.

We will always think of the Carolina Winds as our ideal home away from home.

Stayed April 2008
1 Thank MyrtleHome
archdale
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2008

We have stayed at Carolina Winds for 2 years in a row and they have been wonderful. We go to bike rally every year and most hotels are not very supportive of it and very hard to get along with. The people at Carolina Winds are very nice, friendly and easy to get along with. They do everything they can to make your stay as wonderful as possible. They are all so friendly and make you feel right at home. The rooms are very clean and spacious. They have great views and right on the beach. I love staying here and I recommend everyone to stay at Carolina Winds.

Stayed May 2008