“Loved the location and motel”
Review of Carolina Winds

Carolina Winds
Ranked #54 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Erwin, TN
“Loved the location and motel”
Reviewed December 27, 2007

We have stayed in Myrtle Beach many times since we went there on our honeymoon in '68. This place is centrally located and the rooms are great. The service is excellent and the staff is extremely friendly. We will stay there from now on, when we venture to Myrtle Beach, SC

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — on site resturant
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank rogersa1000

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Midland, Md
Reviewed September 11, 2007

Just got back from 5 days at Carolina Winds. I loved it My mother and myself and 17 year old son went, and enjoyed the pools, lazy river and hot tubs. My son loved the fact that he could get wireless internet connection on his lap top. We had previously stayed at Captians Quarters while Vactioning in MB but after having our Room robbed we decided to stay elsewhere. We stayed in room 210, the room was beautiful Very Clean. and the Kitchen had all the gadgets of home. Everyone was so friendly that We will be returning to Carolina Winds next year.And you an not been the prices either.

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank peapole1
Pound Ridge, New York
Reviewed September 2, 2007

Just returned from a six day stay with my husband and two boys - ages 16 and 11. Overall had a nice stay however would like to share some Pro's and Con"s:

PRO's:

Stayed in a 2 bedroom/ 2 bath unit in the "Oceanview" buidling. We were on the 5th floor and had a nice Ocean View. Below that floor, you would have obstructed views. Our unit was very clean, could use some updated furniture, etc, but the beds were excellent and everything was in perfect working order.

We found the cleaning service and the maintenance crew all excellent ! Had some minor issues (lightbulbs, etc) and both times someone appeared within 10 minutes of a call to the office.

Location in the Myrtle Beach area is nice.... Between the crazy downtown area and close to North Myrtle Beach. 2 blocks to a Food Lion, Dunkin Donuts, restaurants and a nice driving range. Fantastic golf and "kids play free" which is tremendous. Ocean is is very nice but kids could not boogey board in the 6 days we were there. Waves not big enough.

Cons:

The lobby has a very unpleasant smell and could use some updating (not very inviting). Also there was one very nice(helpful) woman at the desk, but don"t expect wonderful service from the rest. We usually appreciate restaurant recommendations, etc, and this seemed like a huge task to this group. All were friendly but none went out of their way.....

Their beach is a public beach with metered parking. Please keep this in mind if you like to only stay with a "resort crowd"....

Lazy river is nice, but needs more "jets" to make it go faster.... Big pool is lovely and the jacuzzi's were a good temperature....

• Liked — Location and relatively quiet area.
  • Disliked — Front desk ambience and help (lack of....)
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank Momandson_7
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed July 18, 2007

We spent our second trip to MB at the same place, Carolina Winds(same room too), as we did our first trip last year. We have enjoyed our stay both times. Although the property is a little outdated, they were giving it a new coat of paint and the staff is very friendly and helpful. The only problem we had was with housekeeping keeping us with enough clean towels. The kids love the huge swimming pool, and the price is good too. Don't know if we'll make it back again next year, but if we do we will be staying at Carolina Winds.

• Liked — Pool
  • Disliked — lack of towels
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank SaltyDog67
ohio
Reviewed May 17, 2007

April 2007 I just had to get away for the never ending northern winter so I called around for a room. Spring breakers had taken over the south beach so I thought I'd try the north end. I've never stayed here (this end of the beach) but I probably will next time.

Pros :
The hotel is on the quiet end of the beach and as such there is not a lot of traffic, as a matter of fact they actually have bicycle lanes on the main road. Next time I'm bringing the Cannondale. No parking garage, but ample street level parking with an easy in and out. A food Lion and Baskin Robbin are just 1/2 block across the street.

Like a big pool? this is the place. The outside pool is huge, especially for a hotel of this size. decent sized indoor pool. The staff is A-1 superfriendly.

Cons: as a condo not all the rooms are furnished the same. I think a lot of the furniture was from a collection of garage sales, but it was clean and functional. The cleaning staff was a little lax and I usually made my own bed and picked up my own garbage. I also had to beg for an extra towel. The deck around the pool is small and the front lawn could use some furniture. My major complaint is the view or lack there of. All oceanviews appear to be three rooms and I was in a one bedroom "side view" the only view I got was the three story condo between my room and the beach. This may have been corrected by going higher up, but I hate waiting for elevators all day.

I would definitely stay on this part of the beach next trip, I really enjoy the quite and lack of traffic. I would rate the hotel as decent maybe 21/2 stars. Would I stay there again? probably, I don't come to the beach to stay in the room. I go there to swin and enjoy the wind, water, and sand. Overall I'd tell a friend to stay there if other places nearby were impossible to book and I really don't think he would have much to complain about except the view or lack thereof

• Liked — pools
  • Disliked — lack of beach view
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank OhioToothdoc
ROCHESTER
Reviewed April 18, 2007

1) My room was cleaner after we left than before we arrived. I spent my first 2 hours cleaning all the dirty, sticky, dusty surfaces, all the dishes that had stuff cemented on them, and the bathtub and sink (had nothing to clean the toilet with but that hadn't been wisked w/ a toilet brush in months). The cleaning people don't clean - whatever cleaning company they contract with should be dismissed. I witnessed the non-cleaning and the lack of attention to anything and everything (ex. 3 days with an empty toilet paper roll...we used tissues - the cleaning woman squirted some blue stuff around the edge of the toilet seat w/o lifting it up and around the sink faucet - never bothered to wipe it up or was it becasue she was attempting to clean it in the dark w/ no lights on - hello?) After day three I decided to wait for the cleaning person at the door every day, handed her the dirty towels and took the clean ones and told her "that would be all."
2) If you do decide to stay here make sure you ask for an updated room. The first room we arrived in had very strong odors, had old beaten up furniture, saggy mattresses, and the carpeting looked like it had a build up of grease and filth from many nights and many years of partying (did I mention it was dirty). The second room we went into was like being in a completely different hotel (it was updated with clean paint and fresh carpeting).
3) The hotel is maintained in the morning, but not throughout the day. Mid-afternoon the pool was a mess - all kinds of string stuff that some kid must have thrown about and buds from the bushes that had drifted into the pool were all throughout. The indoor hot tub and pool are old and decrepid, moldy and dirty. They need to do a serious remodeling overhaul to update this place.

The staff was friendly and accomodating but that's about all I can say. I used to work in a hotel/restaurant, and I know the hard work that goes into making people happy and comfortable, the mess that patrons can make, and the thoughtless treatment of property that is not theirs. In saying that, I've always left a tip for maid service on the day that I leave, because I can appreciate what they do, but this is the one and only time I haven't left anything - the cleaning people did not care and were just their to collect a paycheck.

I stayed at another older hotel the previous year (Beach Colony) and I will say that was a much more pleasant experience. There again you must make sure the privately owned room you go into is clean and updated because it depends on the owner. I went to Carolina Winds this year to meet up with a group of friends who had been staying there for years. I can't imagine why they keep coming back.

Stayed April 2007
2 Thank SA12166
Mexico Beach, FL
Reviewed January 1, 2007

Great place to stay. I visited my relatives over New Years who spend every winter there and have done so for the last few years. The place is great and the location is excellent. It is away from all the hustle of downtown but yet close to everything. The staff is wonderful and all appear to be long term employess which says a lot. Can't wait to go back.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing