“Great for kids not so much couples”

Captains Quarters Resort
Ranked #97 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Smoaks
“Great for kids not so much couples”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

My husband and I went away for the weekend and found ourselves here for the king suite and onsite bowling. The front desk was extremely nice at check-in and helpful throughout my whole stay. We stayed on the 9th floor and our view was impeccable. We weren't able to get cell service in our room though even on the balcony. The problems started coming when we went to the bowling alley and restaurant. The bowling alley is on the 6th floor and also has an arcade. When we got there it was very busy and very understaffed. The poor girl behind the desk was trying to run the whole place by herself. She was doing her best but the manager just basically told her good luck and left. I felt so bad for her. The vending and ice machines are also only on the bottom floors so be prepared to get everything at once or do a lot of walking. Overall our room was very nice and very clean. The bathroom is kinda small and the sink is in the room but once you get over that it is a beautiful place. Next time we will bring the kids so they can take advantage of the waterpark and such

Room Tip: Try not to get a room beside the elevator
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Raffael O, General Manager at Captains Quarters Resort, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Dear amanda munn, I thank you for filling out a comment on this web site. We appreciate all feedback and with what we have learned from your comments we have taken steps in rectifying some of our down falls. We thank you very much and welcome you back with your children very soon. If there is anything we can do for you please let me know.

Raffael Ormeggio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (639)
  • Greek first
Spartanburg, South Carolina
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Was ready to make a reservation for a 3 night stay in a 2 bedroom suite for 6 people, but had to cancel midway through because they would only give you 1 parking pass even through you had two. Reservation specialist attempted to talk to management, who the day before had okay a guaranty of two parking passes, but management said due the fact the hotel would be full they could only give 1 parking pass per unit. What short sighted management decision making it was for them to build a hotel and only have park per unit and not per bedroom. Where do they expect their customers to park with they book a 2 bedroom unit for a family trip with grandma and grandpa. If they are willing to guaranty 2 parking passes, I told them to give me a call back. As for now, I am looking at more thoughtful facilities with management that actually can add.

Room Tip: Find a hotel that allows parking based on the number of bedrooms you have not the number of units re...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Tommy P
Dear Tommy P. I thank you for filling out your comments on this web site. I am discouraged to read what happened with the parking situation. We have plenty of parking spots for all our guests and would love to know who you spoke to exactly. It is also a slower part of our season and we could have definitely made an exception. If there is anything else you would care to share I am available to listen. If there is some special need you may have in the future please don’t hesitate in reaching out to me personally.

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Willowick OH
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Our stay was enjoyable here. We had an oceanfront condo which was perfect. The furniture is a little stained. "Black bike week" arrived on Thursday, and things went down hill from there. The resort did nothing about the loud music and slamming doors all night long, despite complaints. The entire back side pool was forced to listen to someone's boom box on their balcony blasting their choice of music which I thought was rude. We came back from dinner Friday and had NO place to park in our resort garage because the parking attendant let all the bikers park in our garage! The traffic was miserable due to the bikers. The best thing about this resort is the bowling on the 11th floor and the shuffle board. Everything else is just average.

Room Tip: Avoid the month of May - there are TWO bike weeks. Get ocean front - you can't beat the view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Debbie B, thank you for sharing your experience with us. I apologize for some of our guests that seem like they were not too courteous to others. We have security all year round and do not tolerate loud music or anything else after quiet time. Please do not let this spoil what a beautiful place Myrtle Beach can be and come back to visit us and all the new amenities and changes we have made to Captains Quarters this year. If there is something I can do for you please let me know.

Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

Girlfriends get away! Check in was fast and the staff was efficient. The manager was friendly and helpful with a small request. The room was clean and well stocked with toiletries. We enjoyed bowling every night. We relaxed in the hot tub and enjoyed the inside lazy river. We had the best time!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Leilani M. I wanted to thank you for letting us know about your stay. I am happy to see you had a great time with your friends, If there is anything I can do for you in the future please don't hesitate in reaching out to us.

Georgetown, South Carolina
Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

I booked this room valentine's day weekend due to the fact that my son's birthday is valentine's day and we wanted to do something with him. When we arrived there it was packed but that was understandable but......it was a lot of young people. As we were walking in to check in there was a group of people literally 3 feet away from the door smoking black a milds and cigars. It was so strong that it made my 6 year old son cough. I felt so sorry for him. When we walked into the lobby there were people opening champagne bottles. Right then and there I was wanting to get a refund. It was more of a one night party place for all the young ones with their dates. We went along with the check in though. When we finally got to our room we were very disappointed. It was very dirty. The floor was so sticky our shoes kept sticking to it as we walked across it, the trash can was filled to the top with the previous people's trash, the counters was dirty, etc. we called the front desk to see if we could get another room but there was not another one available so we got a refund and went elsewhere where there was a minimum 2 night stay and we were very happy.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Selambert
Dear Salem Bert, I than k you for sharing your details of your trip with us. I am sorry we did not meet your expectaitions. We are a family resort with lots of things to do with young children, however we typically do not allow people to open bottles and smoke cigars at the entrance when people are trying to check in. I will investigate this with my management staff. Please except my apologies and if there is something I can do for you and your family in the future please let me know.

Eldersburg, Maryland
Reviewed February 4, 2014

The indoor ammenties are great for winter weather! Our grandkids enjoyed the pool and bowling alley. The room was a good size, King bed was comfortable, but the bed in the sofa sleeper was horrible!
The arcade needs updated games, and more games that aren't "out of order". They need another ticket redemtion machine. There is only one and it had to fixed several times while trying to redeem tickets.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Amy, thank you for filling out a survey on this web site. I appreciate the feedback on the arcade and ticket machine. We are always trying to improve our guests experiences and thank you again for your feedback.

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed February 3, 2014

This is an excellent resort to spend the month of January. I live "up north" and find this resort and the weather great. The staff is very service oriented, the accomodations are good and there are many good restaurants and other amenities in the general area. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: I have been staying at this resort for many years and always find it top quality, top value.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank seebrzz
Dear Seebrzz, we all thank you for taking the time in letting others know about our great resort. We look forward in seeing you back next year to experience all the new changes and modifications we are doing year around. Please let me know if there is something I can do for you.