“New Years Eve package.”

Ranked #94 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“New Years Eve package.”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

This was our fist visit to this hotel and was overall a pleasant experience. We stayed for New years Eve and purchased that specific package.The overall hotel seems to be a bit tired. I was told this is one of the older hotels in the area, I can't confirm this.

We upgraded our room to an ocean front room. Our room was an Oceanfront King Room NS. This room was basically your typical hotel room with a small refrigerator and coffee maker. The bathroom was tiny but usable. I requested this room for the privacy and the private balcony. I made my reservations online and specifically asked for the highest floor possible. We ended up on the second floor. We listened to people in the jacuzzi at night and in the morning and listened to a gate slamming shut all night and morning. I suspect this can be a very noisy hotel when busy. You should choose your room wisely. It seems there are many options. One nice feature in the room was the "Clean Remote" remote control for the TV. A remote that can be cleaned easily and has no openings. Considering this is supposed to be one of the items that has the most germs in a hotel room, it was nice to see. On that note, the TV reception and channel options were not the best.

Although we did not use many of the amenities, we walked the property and saw that there is a lot to do. It appeared to be very family friendly. From what I gather, if you stay here you can use all the amenities of their sister hotel, Hotel Blue, down the street.

The New Years Eve event was in the bowling alley. It was fun and we would probably go again however they need more staff at the bar and should consider changing the entrance procedure.

The bowling alley in the hotel is a fantastic idea. There are 20 lanes! It seems updated except the bowling balls. There are also pool tables and arcade games as well as a full service bar.

With the exception of one employee, the ones we encountered were very friendly. Even the ones that worked early into the morning for the New Years Eve event and then were back first thing for breakfast. Good job!

Room Tip: Choose wisely. There seem to be many options. I would suggest the higher the better of you like qu...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Raffael O, General Manager at Captains Quarters Resort, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear KJE 134, Thank you for submitting a response on this web site. We arppreciate all and any feedback and will look into the noisy gate etc. We hope to see you back soon at Captains Quarters.

Raffael Ormeggio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (618)
  • Greek first
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed January 2, 2014

This hotel needs a few updates/cleaning (or proper photos on the website to reflect the wear the hotel has sustained) other than that, our stay was excellent. Pools in particular need attention. We purchased the NYE party package which included our room, the NYE party, (bowling, DJ, food, drinks, arcade in the Level6 and lots of other party goers as advertised) as well as breakfast the following morning. As locals, we stay-cation when we can, especially in the "off-season". If you're looking for value and a wide array of amenities, this is a great resort. If you want something fancy and brand new, there are other resorts worth looking into. With that said, we would consider Captains Quarters for future stays.

Room Tip: Ask where your room will be, exactly. --- We asked for ocean front, but I didn't request what fl...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear ReneeM18, I appreciate your feedback recieved from your online response. We are working to getting the resort at a higher level and we hope to see you back soon to see our progress.

North Wildwood Nj
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We stayed in the off season. For 58.00 a night it was tolerable. My youngest did get 4 bites on our last night there - she woke up with them-, in December !! - If it were the first night I would have left ASAP !
The room was old, the bathroom was not very clean- The bowling alley had half the lanes broken, and most arcade games did not work, the bar was out of most beers !!!! They lost alot of money in my family - I would have given my kids $20.00 to play games while we sat at the bar .

If the owners actually sat where I was they could see how much money they were loosing !

It is a true example
of people who have too much money and dont need more -
Don't ever come here in season and spend 200.00 a night - it is old, run down and the owners could care less about you ----

You have to ask for coffee to be brought to you - yep you have to call the front desk !
We asked for towels for the pool and had to sign for them, yep we did ! If you want to feel like a criminal this is the place to be

I would never stay there again !

Room Tip: Stay away - go to a hotel where they actually appreciate you .
3 Thank mauisdoghouse
Raffael O, General Manager at Captains Quarters Resort, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear guest mauisdoghouse, we apologise for the inconvienience of some of the arcade machines being down during your stay. I can assure you our owners care about every and each guest that come stay at our properties. I am not sure who you thought were the owners but I can assure you, they were not them.

We appreciate your feedback and wish you all a happy new year.
Hopewell, Virginia
Reviewed December 24, 2013

I have stayed at Captain's Quarters before and it was ok so I chose to stay there again. I don't think I will next time I take a vacation. I made my reservations 6 weeks ahead of time and the night before I was to go I found out somehow my reservations wasn't in the system. The clerk said their was a glitch in the system and I wasn't the only one. I had to make them again but at a higher price. It was only $3.50 more so I really didn't mind. I had also asked to be on one of the higher floors. When I checked in the clerk there told me they had failed to read my request and the higher floors were taken so I had to take the 3rd floor. OK. A little disappointed but I could live with it. The next morning I made my family some coffee and cooked some eggs. When I went to wash the dishes the kitchen sink was clogged. I hadn't even used the sink before so I notified the front desk and maintenance fixed it right away. I kept noticing my kids bedroom at the kitchen was a little wet but I thought the maid had spilled some water. A day later it was worse and the next day the carpet was soaked and the kitchen floor was also. The pipe in the wall was leaking water They would have to tear the wall out. They moved me to another room and even upgraded me one room better. I could live with that even though it was still on the same 3rd floor. I got up the next morning and noticed the ceiling was peeling and falling. Their was white paint chips all over my daughters bed. Also the night before in the swimming pool area their was a guy hanging around looking at all the females. I thought he was a staff member but when one of the staff guys (Jeff, who was really great) showed up the other guy disappeared but kept walking by the window watching Jeff. I also noticed Jeff was in uniform. I quickly informed Jeff and Jeff immediately notified the front desk. To top it all off when I was packing my clothes and taking my stuff to my truck my key stopped working. This was at 0650 in the morning. Luckily my family was still inside to let me in. I think I will find another hotel when I go back in June. I know things happen but this was just too much. However the staff is great. Friendly, courteous and always helpful. They just need to fix a few things and read your reservation requests.

Room Tip: get ocean front and try to get higher than 4th floor so you have a good view of the ocean and the su...
3 Thank ctgrimsley
Raffael O, General Manager at Captains Quarters Resort, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Dear Mr Grimsley, I apologize for your inconveniences encountered at my hotel. We will work on these issues and make all possible efforts in avoiding them in the future. We appreciate your feedback.
Virginia
Reviewed December 16, 2013

We stayed 5 days 4 nights lots to do at the hotel enjoyed the pools and bowling great location close to everything it could stand to be cleaner I had to clean up the room when we arrived the service was good they responded quickly and cleaned the room daily overall good stay the view was amazing! Get a ocean front room. I hope this helps.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank cheachea101
Raffael O, General Manager at Captains Quarters Resort, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear CheaChea101, I wanted to thank you for taking the time in responding on trip advisor and for the most part enjoying your stay with us at Captains Quarters. Any and all feedback is always welcomed and we will continue to work on our opportunities. Thank you very much and if you need anything in the future please reach out and we will be more thank happy to assist you,

Fayetteville, North Carolina
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Check in was easy when we arrived. The front desk clerk was very friendly and welcoming. She explained some of what the hotel had to offer. When we got to the room we were disappointed with the view. Apparently oceanview means you'll be looking at a parking lot. We immediately called down to the front desk. The manager, Rachel explained that we wanted oceanFRONT. She said there would be a small upgrade fee and we could go look at the room if we came back to the front desk to get keys. The same girl at the front desk already had keys waiting for us when we got down to the desk. She offered for us to look first, but we decided just to pay and move. This view was much better. Besides this hiccup at the beginning of our trip, everything else was fine. The hotel was conveniently located near everything we wanted to do. The restaurant next store was good and we were glad it was right next to the hotel because we were hungry after traveling. The 6th floor center was nice, but my friend pointed out that many of the games weren't working. The hallways (especially the stairwells) were in need of updating but our room was nice. Overall for the price, we would probably come back but would make sure we ask for the right view that we wanted.

Room Tip: ocean front if you want a good view.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear AshE450, I wanted to thank you for filling out a comment on trip advisor, I am sorry we started off with a hickup, but I am glad to hear my staff took care of it quickly. We will be doing some renovations in the near future and address the hallways etc. If there is something I can do for you in the future please let me know.

Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed December 11, 2013

We weren't sure what to expect when we arrived at Captains Quarters to start our trip. When we arrived we noticed the hotel was a little "out dated" but still pleasant over all. When we reached our first room we were unsatisfied with a few quirks, and the front desk attendant Clarissa was extremely understanding and accommodating. She was able to move us to a different room on the same floor allowing the move to be quick and painless. She definitely made the stay more enjoyable. The hotel has a great location and tons of amenities though we didn't take advantage of them all lol. Thanks to all the CQ staff, its because of you guys CQ will be an option for future trips.

JS

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Joy S, Thank you for sharing some important information on trip advisor. I am happy to hear Clarissa took care of you and will be comended by me. I will also ensure you that we will be going under some renovations at Captains Quarters to spruse things up in 2014. I hope to see you all very soon.

Raffael ormeggio