“Mixed feelings” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Captains Quarters Resort

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Captains Quarters Resort
Ranked #93 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Mixed feelings”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

My family stayed here for five nights and although the resort is really great for families, we found the rooms (yes, rooms... I will explain) very dated. Pros: the lazy river, hot tubs, and outside pools. My daughter loved swimming and playing in the pirate ship area. The maintenance folks (yes, maintenance folks... I will explain) were extremely timely and helpful. Front desk... Mixed feelings. The young girl who checked us in needs a lot of customer service review/training. She was not very friendly at all. As she was checking us in, a gentleman interrupted her while she was talking to us. He was quite upset about some lost car keys. She completely barked at him that he would have to wait regardless of how urgent he felt his issue was. Grant it, I was glad she continued to help us but boy was she rude to him! Her name might have been Christin. Not 100% on that. On my second trip to the front desk for replacement keys (the first set did not work), I was met with an extremely nice girl. She gave me new keys and actually went over all the amenities of the hotel/resort. Would have been nice to hear that upon check in. Maybe lost key guy distracted Christin. Cons: dated rooms... At least two of them are so I would presume many of the others are as well. After we eventually entered our room, we heard the irritating beeps of a fire alarm that required a new battery. Irritating but quickly handled by maintenance. After a bit in the room, we noticed a nice size water leak in our ceiling right over the bed in several places. Probably wouldn't have been a problem but after we checked in a rainstorm came and truly dumped a full bucket of rain on myrtle beach... Certainly causing the leak. Nevertheless, we were moved to another room after it was surveyed by a different maintenance guy (again) that came rather quickly. As we entered our second room, which was really not available because I had asked twice for any type of upgrade. (We were booked on a very busy weekend into an interior room.) So to our surprise, the rainstorm opened up a room with a partial ocean view (supposedly not available). This room was nicer than the previous room but as I mentioned, outdated. After about a day, we realized that we would have a slow draining sink in the bathroom and a periodically runny toilet. Being that we just wanted to get on with our vacation, we decided to let it slide. Well, after our first trip out to the beach (about three hours), we returned to our room to see the sink still full of water so we called and maintenance was sent up quickly to resolve, which he did. While he was in the room, he actually noticed the runny toilet. He did some tinkering with it and told us to call him back if it continued to run. It actually continued to run but we figured three visits from maintenance was more than enough.

Despite the "issues," I would visit here again. My husband, on the other hand, says he will not. For him, there were too many problems. For me, I felt that they at least addressed and resolved the issues quickly and the follow up from the front desk was comforting. Was it an interruption, of course, but I am a bit easier in these situations, I guess. We shall see...

Oh yea, we spent the wee hours of our last night there in the parking lot... Fire alarm went off after midnight. So we joined our fellow guests with sleeping babies and children in arms down nine flights of stairs. Hotel made no contact or apologizes for this. You know me... Better safe than sorry but I wasn't the one carrying a 50lb sleeping child down the stairs.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jaytam
Raffael O, General Manager at Captains Quarters Resort, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a comment on Trip Advisor. We would like to apologize for any inconveniences caused by the unfortunate less than standard experience you had during your visit. We take guest satisfaction very seriously and in your case we performed at an unacceptable level.

Please be assured that appropriate steps are being taken to correct the situation. We are aware that an experience such as this gives an impression of our facility that is very difficult to overcome. We can only tell you that this is not the normal experience of a guest staying at Captains Quarters Resort.

Your business is greatly appreciated and we ask that you consider a future visit to Captains Quarters Resort

Comments and feedback such as yours are painful to hear, but vital to our continued success and improvement as a resort. Through these hard knocks, we have an opportunity to grow and become better … and for that, we thank you.

Raffael Ormeggio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (608)
  • Greek first
South Boston, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

Very Clean , Staff friendly , with the beach and the hotel having so much to do you literally can stay at the hotel the entire time , not that we ever do ... but we could , Great Deals to , i always book when they are having a special rate sale .. heading back down in the beginning of sept 50 bucks a night , and the summer season is still in full swing , If you have kids to entertain and want to relax yourself .. STAY HERE, you will not be disappointed !!

Room Tip: go ocean front , not view
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank lschavlay
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete your comment on Trip Advisor. Let me thank you for your comments about our resort. We try very hard to service our guests with utmost pride and diligence. Comments are often a barometer of our service quality and we appreciate hearing from those who had a memorable experience. We will forward your comments to those responsible for making your stay with us pleasant and enjoyable. Your comments mean so much to our staff.

Again, thank you for your feedback. We look forward to you returning for another visit.
Thank you in advance for taking the time to do this. We look forward to seeing you again.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

Clean hotel,friendly staff, wonderful value for a family! Easy access to the beach. Great location within walking distance to many restaurants and fun activities. Many pools and hot tubs to enjoy when taking a break from the beach. We will definitely stay again!!

1 Thank Jlehman2000

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

I did not like the way the room was set up and the hallways were smelly. The pools and bowling alley was good. The service was ok and the location was great. It took a long time to check in. The loco gecko was good and not to expensive. It was quiet at night and not a lot of noise in the room.

2 Thank Claudiab029
Raffael O, General Manager at Captains Quarters Resort, responded to this review, September 4, 2013

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

We've stayed here many times, needed a room for a birthday w/e... Booked online for oceanfront more private! Omg!!! Room is worse than a 1979's Motel 6!!! Paid $125 per night for a mess! Bad mattresses, no amenities like the main resort building offers, no coffee, no plastic cups, no shampoo!!! Hard towels!!! Dirty, no elevator so trudging up the 3 flight of stairs that smell like cat urine... No parking close by at all!!!! Definitely next time will stay at the La Quinta up the road for half the price, way nicer beds and service!!!

1 Thank Redrayne63

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

Captain’s Quarter in Myrtle is the worst place I’ve ever stayed. Let me start by saying room 910 they offered me was so bad I wouldn’t let my dog stay there. The room had condensation leaking from the vent on the wall, the bottom draw was hanging off the oven, the leg on the chair in the room was broken, the room had so many marks on the wall it looked like a mural, the sofa was so nasty it wasn’t suitable for anyone to seat on, and to top it off … it look like their was mold around the window. Then, I went to the front desk and told the front desk attendant that room was unacceptable. Then she offer me room 101, to see if that room was to my liking and once again it wasn’t fit for an animal and it had an awful smell. Then, I requested my money back she said I have one more room for you to see…. Well, to my surprise room 434 was to my liking…. OK …. I can stay in this room for a week.. WAIT a MINUTE one day before we were about to check out the roach appeared NOT Palmetto bug, or cockroach…. No… a roach. My husband killed the roach and we got one of the housekeeping staff to clean it up. I called the front to voice my complaint and they assure me maintenance would be there to spray the room…. NOBODY came……. I had to shake out all our clothes that were in the draws and packed them back in our suitcases. I couldn’t sleep, so I let me husband get some rest and we were check out by 7:30 am…. What a vacation.

OH…Let me not forget….. the walls along the hallways were cracking and peeling, the elevators are slow, the ice machine is soo unsanitary, some of the hallways are very dark and the pipes are exposed and the insulation is hanging down.

This place needs an EXETREME MARKOVER

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Shelly827

Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

I went to the hotel as a famiily trip with nightly rate of $150. Outside of hotel looks great with newly updates, but in the inside there was a different story. We stayed on the 4th floor with 2 dbl beds and kitchen. The bathrooms were gross. There was mildew in the shower and just look horrible. The came and re-cleaned bathroom, which hardly made a difference. The bathroom sink had a clog, that was not resolved unto the next day. The kitchen, all except 1 stove eye worked. I mean this was crazy. I wish I had taken pictures, because I will never stay there again.

Room Tip: Higher floors up are kept cleaner than the bottom.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family