“A very bad experience”

Ranked #98 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Charleston, West Virginia, United States
“A very bad experience”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I had made reservations a month in advance requesting a King Ocean Front Suite,lower level...I called back twice to confirm this and was assured that it was what I had requested. My husband and I arrive at the resort at about 2 30PM.,the girl said she had us booked for a 7TH floor room....at that time I explain to her that I had called back after making our reservations and was assured that we did have a lower level floor with all of the acomodations I had requested...She at that time gave us a ocean front room on first floor,we go to the room and open the door and find that someone else was in that room...At this point we both where very very unhappy!!! I requested our money back and got no apology from the management!!!! The staff offered to put us on 7TH floor,I would not stay in that resort if I had to leave the beach(after all where is the security)????? This was a mistake that I feel is no excuse for!!!!!! The lobby of the resort did not appeal to us when we went in,did not look clean at all(the mistake absolutely was a Blessing)!! We ended up stayng at Compass Cove Resort,it was wonderful,clean and the staff was great!!!!! My ending comment No Thanks To Captains Quarters for almost ruining the celebration of my 65TH Birthday and a huge THANKS to Compass Cove and Dustin,who worked so hard to get us room!!!!!!

Room Tip: Our corner deluxe suite at Compass Cove was great(more like a little apartment)!!!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelBlueManager, Manager at Captains Quarters Resort, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
We would like to apologize that you did not enjoy your stay with us. While we do our best to accommodate special request, it is our policy not to Gtd (beyond room type) until check-in. This is becuase we do not assign specific room numbers/ floors until arrival. We are sorry that this policy was not relayed to you properly and we will go over this with our staff. If you would please call us and ask to speak with a manager, we would like to discuss this further with you. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (630)
  • Greek first
Reviewed April 25, 2013

paid 300 for two nights and 2 rooms. not bad on the price. overall the hotel is nicer on the outside the room is nice. but outside the room it looks like a creepy boiler rooms hall way. breakfast is way over priced even with our ten percent off coupon. the drinks are also a bit steep. right down the road there is a liquor store so all is good. they tried charging me 200 dollars to be able to smoke in my room not worth it. but overall this room is very much worth it.

Room Tip: take a look inside before getting this room looks can be deciving
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We are a non-smoking resort but you able to smoke in designated area's and we apologize for any mis-communication on this matter. However we are glad that you enjoyed your stay. We hope that you will come stay with us again in the future.
North Augusta, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed April 24, 2013

It was a very friendly hotel, we appreciated that. thought the place was a little nicer in the pictures, but was still decent. Seemed like they had some maintenance that needed to be done before the busy time started. Still all in all was decently clean, and everyone we came across that worked there was very very friendly. We would return!

Room Tip: the ocean front view was great. layed in bed and watched the sunrise.
1 Thank Jaime N
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent visit at Captains Quarters. Overall we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Kansas City
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I wish we would have requested to check out the rooms before checking into the hotel. Rooms are worn out and hotel overall is in desperate need of an update. Definitely not worth the summer-hotel-room-price. Pictures on website are outdated, to say the least. Kitchen was convenient. Kid's activities were a great idea, but cost additional money. This place is not on our Top 10 places we would consider staying at again for our annual summer Myrtle Beach vacation.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
We would like to apologize that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We keep the highest of standards at our resort and are always working to improve and update our rooms and our property. Our rates do go up during the summer, we are very competitive with our rates and seek to keep it as affordable as possible. Our kids activities are all completely free, except for a few select choices that require a small fee to cover materials, that we have noted on our sign up sheets. We would love the chance to speak with you further about your experience and hope that you will give us a secound chance.
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 22, 2013

if you are coming to Myrtle Beach looking for something extra in your hotel, (like large bathrooms) this is not the place. If you are coming to hang out on the beach, and be close to a bunch of restaurants and a mini amusement park and using the hotel as a place to crash, then no problems. price was right ($100 a night for ocean front with the separate twin bed bedroom and living room with pull down bed) and the staff were very friendly. This is kid friendly and has a bowling alley and the lazy river etc. I would rate this good, not average or very good but somewhere in between

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
HotelBlueManager, Manager at Captains Quarters Resort, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review for us. We agree with you, our location is one of great ammenties. Overall we are glad that you and your family had a good stay and we look forward to hopefully seeing you again.
North Carolina
Reviewed April 22, 2013

The front desk did a great job when I was checking in. They initially could not find my name in the computer. It was discovered that my reservation was for the previous night. I don't know how that happened, but I don't think I mistakenly made the reservation for the wrong night. They were able to find a room and didn't charge me anything additional. That was a good experience!

The room (2-room king efficiency with side ocean view) could have been better. The people traveling with me were in the king bed, and they said that they slept well. I was planning to use the sleeper sofa. Once it was opened up and ready to use, I found out that it was incredibly lumpy and broken to the point that the end of the mattress where my feet were was almost on the floor. I didn't want to sleep on a pile of rocks at a 30-degree angle, so I closed up the sofa and just slept on it that way. The bathroom is incredibly small, but sufficient. The kitchenette does not have a dishwasher, and they ask that you leave your dishes clean and put away. That kind of makes you wonder how good a job the previous guests did at cleaning the dishes... We had no issues with the cleanliness of the room itself.

The view of the ocean was as good as expected, considering that this room had a side ocean view. The pools looked nice. The lazy river is small and entirely indoors.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
HotelBlueManager, Manager at Captains Quarters Resort, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you for posting a review for us. We do apolgize for any issues you had while staying with us and have passed those comments onto the appropriate managers. We are glad that the front desk was able to assist you and we hope that you will stay with us again in the future.
Freeport, Illinois
Reviewed April 20, 2013

We had a wonderful stay for four nights. The rooms were nice for the price. Yes, the rooms are "used", but it's located in a RESORT town, what do you expect. If you want the "Ritz" spend your mega-bucks at the "Ritz". We never met one "grumpy" employee the whole time. Great CLEAN pools with lots of places to sun one's self. We really enjoyed our ocean-front room. Nicely located with plenty of parking with the parking ramp. Front desk was very helpful and courteous. The house-keeping team was the best. We plan on staying here again & again.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 8th floor and no problem with noise.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay with us.We are so happy to hear that all of our staff memeber were friendly and efficent, and that you and your family enjoyed your stay. We all look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Myrtle Beach.