“Ellen B. - Columbia traveler”

Captains Quarters Resort
Ranked #93 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Columbia, South Carolina
“Ellen B. - Columbia traveler”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

First time at Captains Quarters. Very good experience all around. Hotel rooms were very clean & staff very friendly. The adults & 8 kids in our group had a blast at the hotel and didn't care about the amusement park closing down since it was Oct. 5 weekend. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a fun place to take kids. The kids (and adults) can't wait for the next trip as we will definitely be back!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
HotelBlueManager, Manager at Captains Quarters Resort, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
We are so pleased that you choose to spend your vacation with us, and even more pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (624)
  • Greek first
NC
Reviewed October 11, 2012

OMG!!!!! Where do I start………..This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. You be the judge………….I checked in Friday evening on October 5th, 2012 into room 638. After reviewing their website, the room was not what I expected it to be but I decided to stay anyway.

Around 12:15 a.m. I had the pleasure of seeing a roach crawling on the counter. I was very disappointed and shocked to see a roach but it gets better. After a minute or so had gone by I called the front desk and the conversation went like this:

Captain Quarter (CQ): A female answered the phone

Me: Yes this is room 638 may I speak to the manager

CQ: A male employee gets on the phone

Me: Yes sir I’m in room 638. I need someone to come to my room because a roach is crawling around on the counter

CQ: Ma’am it’s not a roach it is a water bug

Me: Sir it is a roach (CQ employee cuts me off)

CQ: It is a water bug, let me ask you is it big like about 1 inch long

Me: Sir it is a roach and I need someone up here to take care of it

CQ: It’s not a ro…….he catches himself and then ask me did it have black on it's back and was it about 1 inch long

Me: Sir I did not pick the roach up so I have no idea if it had any black on it

CQ: I can send maintenance in your room and spray your room down now if you would like. There is not much that I can do. It’s just a water bug and he is only looking for water

Me: Sir we are trying to sleep and if maintenance spray the room down the chemicals will be unbearable for the people that are occupying the room

CQ: WELL WHAT DO YOU WANT I DON’T HAVE ANY OTHER ROOMS AVAILABLE?

Me: Sir when we reserved this room we didn’t expect to see bugs inside the room. The room does not fit my standards I am not satisfied with the services I am receiving now.

CQ: The only option you have is to move out of this room now and I can place you in another room just for tonight but you will have to move back in that same room on Saturday (October 6th) because I don’t have any other rooms available.

Me: Sir did you hear what you just said that does not make any sense. Did you hear the words that just came out your mouth? This room is infested with bugs and you are telling me to go sleep in another room but when I wake up I will need to go back to room 638. You are talking to me as if it’s ok for bugs to be in the room. Sir let me say this.....If Captain Quarters put on their website our rooms have roaches in them, you and your staff would be the only people in the building because no one would reserve these rooms if they knew they were in this condition (infested with roaches).

CQ: Well if you don’t want to be here I can give you 25% of your money back and that’s a lot

Me: Sir I want all my money back because the room is not in living conditions for anyone to be staying in. When I reserved the room I paid for a clean room…….one that is not infested with roaches and one that does not have a ball of hair like what I saw under the pillow that I picked up off the bed. The ball of hair is still under the pillow and the roach is still in here if you could send someone up here to see for themselves.

CQ: I will give you your money back you need to pack your bags and leave

Needless to say I fell asleep on the bed. The other guest was sleep prior to me seeing the roach. No one from Captain Quarters ever came to my room to clean the bed or to deal with the roach that was crawling on the counter. You would think being that I complained about the hair being under the pillow, housekeeping would have gave me clean sheets etc the next morning since management refused to send them Friday night. Housekeeping didn’t clean my bed nor remove the hair. Shall I say more……..when I packed my bags early Sunday morning there was a smaller bug crawling inside one of my shoes that I had on the floor.

This room is not suitable for anyone to be staying there. The Health Department, Better Business Bureau, Chamber of Commerce, Hotels.com, Orbitz.com, and media will be made aware of my stay here. I will attach one of my pictures of the roach for you to see. Again this room ruined my weekend vacation and I am letting all my friends, family, etc know DO NOT STAY AT CAPTAIN QUARTERS because they have roaches in the room and it only gets worse when you call the front desk to speak to management. I should have received a FULL REFUND and some free reservations elsewhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank T H

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Church Hill, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We just got back home from vacation. We had (4) rooms and (2) was covered in roaches. When maintence came they was very rude but, did confirm that it was in fact roaches. We had one room check out early beacause of the roaches, we have stayed here 4 times and unfortantly will not stay again because of this. One room was so bad that we was able to collect the bugs in a cup. We had to spends hours of our time not counting the money that it cost to go to a laundry mat and wash all our stuff in hopes that we did not bring the bugs home with us. I was very dissapointed because until now you have been my favorite place to stay. I hope that you all will fix this very gross problem and maybe we will be able to stay again in the future. As in the past the bowling alley and soggy bottom bar was great.

2 Thank Kari R
We apologize for any inconveniences you encountered while a guest on our property. It is always disturbing to hear of dissatisfied guest and we would like to hear more from you about your stay. At your convenience you can reach a manager at 1-800-373-4091
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Captains Quaters Resort is good but it could be great. The resort has great amenities but the details are lacking. I would recommend the resort because of the amenities.
The pros:
1) Water features: There are several pools both indoor and outdoor. There is an indoor and an outdoor lazy river. the best part is the children's pool with a giant pirate ship in it. The kids absolutely loved it.
2) Bowling: We had a blast bowling. However, they had just cleaned the lanes. They were fast and grabbed. several people fell as they went up to bowl. My foot slipped once and I almost fell. the next time I decided to slide on my approach and my foot stuck firm so I ended up about half way down the land before I caught my balance. they recommend you use their balls instead of your own because they have had balls chipped. We had no problem. they had a wide range of sizes of balls down to 7 pounds for the kids. Many people were using bumpers and they also had the ball stands for persons who needed that accommodation.
3) Breakfast buffet: It was not elaborate, but it was good. The food was fresh and HOT. Highly recommend the breakfast buffet.
4) The staff are really friendly.
5) The hula/fire show was great. This was on Saturday night but only during the warm months. We enjoyed it in early October.
6) Clean - Our room was clean. We had no issues with cleanliness of the room. There were no bugs, the pool areas were clean, and the buffet area was clean and maintained.

Cons:
1) We wanted to schedule a golf outing and called the day before our arrival to book a tee time. We had to leave a message, but the golf person never called us. When we checked in at 3:45, the golf person had already left.
2) Maintenance: One of the sinks was missing a stopper and the bathroom stopper was loose and laying in the tub.
3) The little things: 1 bottle of shampoo and two bars of deodorant soap....I am accustomed to more. the Resort information binder was empty and there were no Sunny Day guides to be found in the entire resort.
4) Accessibility, espeically from the parking garage: There was a ramp on the first level and the main level of the parking garage. However, if you went up to the third or fourth floors, you could not get to the elevator without using steps. This made unloading into a cart impractical. It is also a bad option for wheelchair users or persons with walkers. Unfortunately, the front desk did not really tell you that either. In addition, in order to get to the front desk from a guest room, you have to go up a flight of steps or go outside through the parking garage on level 2. Word to the wise, check in and unload all on the main level (level two), then move your car and find a place to park.

Room Tip: Angle king had a great view of the beach and the pool
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking a moment to write a review for us. We appreciate any feedback from our guest and have passed your comments onto the appropriate managers.. We thank you for staying with us and hope you will return soon to see us.
mt carmel
Reviewed October 11, 2012

have a great time with all of the things they have at captains quarters
the weather was great when we arrived but turn cold the next day but there was plenty of things for the kids to do everyone was friendly at the check in clean up lady did a great job the first day second day the floor was not vaccum and the trash was nor took out

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
HotelBlueManager, Manager at Captains Quarters Resort, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Thank you for writting a review for us. We are sorry for any issues you had and have passed those comments onto the housekeeping manager. We are happy that you loved all the ammenities and thank you for comments on the staff.. We hope to see you again in the future.
Summerville, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I should have made my husband find us a different hotel to stay in when I walked in and saw how outdated this place was and the high price they charged. I don't mind paying if it's a nice place. We had planned to stay for 2 nights but didn't even stay for 1. As soon as we checked in we got into an un-airconditioned elevator and went up to our room. The room was outdated as well with cheap bedspreads and cheap furniture and decor. They shouldn't be allowed to call this place a resort. We dropped of our luggage and immediately left to go walk around Myrtle Beach and spend a family day together. We were gone for about 8 hours in the blistering heat taking our daughter to the amusement park, eating lunch and walking around. We came back to our room and the ac was broken. We could not stay without ac so we checked out and tried to find another hotel, a nicer one with ac, but there were NO available rooms anywhere so we had to drive the 2.5hr trip back home after a full day in the sun. Do not stay here..,.,

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
We would like to thank you for taking a moment to write a review for us, its always hard to hear of a dissatisfied guest.. We would like to apologize for any issues you had while a guest at our resort. We strive to do our very best and hope that you will try us again in the future.
Georgia
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I was nervous about booking here from all the bad reviews but the price was good so I decided to give it a try. I am so glad I didn't listen to the bad reviews because I would have missed out on a really great stay. Check in was fast and easy and the room was ready when we arrived at 2 . The hotel was very clean and we always seen staff cleaning the halls everytime we left the room and the maids did a excellent job of cleaning the room daily. I loved that you could park without having to park across the street . I have stayed at several different hotels in Myrtle Beach and all with parking across the street. Here you park in the connected parking garage and just get on the elevator and go to your room which is great when you have small children like I do. The amenties at this hotel is better than any hotel I have stayed in. The bowling alley and arcade was so much fun and the pirate kids pool was enjoyed by all my kids even my 8 and 12 year old loved that pool as much as my 5 and 3 year old. My parents also went with us and had a room and their room was just as nice and clean as our room. The lazy river was really big and had a great flow. We also enjoyed the hula show we could see great from our balcony and it made my 3 year old and 5 year olds day to get high five salty the shark. We had a great stay and so glad we did not listen to the bad reviews

2 Thank Georgiatraveler47
Thank you so much for positing a review for us.. We are so glad that you stayed with us and enjoyed your vacation... We look forward to your return.