“Spring Break 2012”

Ranked #94 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Scotia
“Spring Break 2012”
Reviewed April 14, 2012

This is the 2nd year for us at CQ and we will be back next. While I have read that some of the rooms need upgrading and I won't disagree, I am willing to sacrifice that for the fun that my 3 kids have. At the end of every trip we ask the kids the best part of their trip and again this year the answer was the activities at the hotel. They love the pirate pool, the luau shows, the egg hunts, magic shows, pictures with Salty, the bowling alley.....HAHA they even love coming down the ramp in the parking garage. The room served it's purpose for sleeping and eating, it was cleaned daily (except when we declined it) the staff was very friendly and helpful, even when we had to call them for nonsense at 11 pm. (kids locking toys in the safe). I would absolutely recommend to a friend and will most definitely be back next year!!

Room Tip: Loved the Angled Ocean View Suites--More modern!
2 Thank knot2me
HotelBlueManager, Manager at Captains Quarters Resort, responded to this review, April 16, 2012
Thank you for writting such a postive comment. We love to read those.. We love our returning guest year after year and are glad to hear that your children love all the fun events we do.. We hope to see you again very soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (618)
  • Greek first
East Liverpool, Ohio
Reviewed April 13, 2012

The hotel was neat and clean as was our room. It was serviced everyday with fresh towels. The sixth floor activity area was very nice. Walking distance to restaurants, and Board Walk. Would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: The little extra money for ocean front is worth it!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelBlueManager, Manager at Captains Quarters Resort, responded to this review, April 14, 2012
Thank you for taking a moment to write this review. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again very soon.
Newport News, Virginia
Reviewed April 9, 2012

I stayed at Captain's Quarters on Spring Break which is April 1 st thur April 5th, 2012. I heard about the bad reviews but decided to see for myself. The room was large and I had the room with the kitchenette and ocean view. The view was great! The hotel is older and needed updating but it was clean. No bugs were found. I enjoyed the bowling alley and the kids loved playing the arcade games in the bowling alley. Our family enjoyed the lazy river and the kiddie pirate pool along with the others. If you want a brand new hotel that has the scent of fresh paint and new carpet this is not your hotel. If you want a hotel that is older but clean and the staff is friendly and this is your hotel. If you want an interior hotel, this is not the place for you. I will admit that I was suprised that this ended up being an exterior hotel. I hope to be back here in a couple of years. I would advise you to ask for the upper level rooms that have been remodeled. I would recommend it to a friend.

Room Tip: Ask for the remodeled rooms on the upper floors.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are so glad that your family enjoyed your stay with us and the children loved the bowling and arcade.. It is hard to not have fun in there.. It is truly a pleasure to hear how friendly staff was during your staff.. We hope to see you again very soon.
Reviewed April 9, 2012

We had a fabulous stay at Captain's Quarters, Myrtle Beach, SC. Clean rooms, kid & adult friendly entertainment each day, great service, good food/drinks, beautiful location... Can't think of a bad thing to say... I recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank JNC83
Thank you so much for your comment about your stay at Captains Quarters. We are glad you were pleased with your accommodations, the resort itself and staff. Hopefully you will be able to vacation with us again very soon.
Zephyrhills
Reviewed April 9, 2012

I initially wanted to give this a 1-point "terrible" rating, but, the front desk service we received on our second day there was excellent, so that raised it to a "poor"...other than that one morning of great service, the entire time was a disaster at this "resort."

When we checked in, we were about 45 minutes early, so we waited while the rooms were being finished. I should have guessed that by everyone else in the lobby waiting with complaints, as well as people already checked in coming back for complaints, that we'd experience an issue as well. And we did--lots of them. We initially reserved an oceanfront room...not a suite, just a room. When we got to our room, there was no oceanfront, and the balcony door lock was broken. We were only on the second floor (which at this place is more like a 1.5 floor...very odd and inconvenient floor structure), so this was a concern for us. My mom had our printed reservations and looked at the photos, and this just wasn't it. We returned to the front desk, and were told for $40-something more, we could get an oceanfront suite, so we did, and that suite was worse than the first room. Again, paying extra for an ocean view, and getting a view of some dumpsters and a rundown shuffleboard mat isn't exactly my idea of an ocean view. Girl at the desk says "Well we didn't think you'd mind, since you can still kind of see the ocean." Yes, well, if the wind blew the tree leaves the right way, I can get a glimmer of water, but we didn't pay extra to see and smell dumpsters. Also, the floor had some sort of thick liquid all over it, which I slipped on several times. There was also some kind of weird blue machine in there running, and when I stopped and asked a guy who works for the resort what it was, he said he had no idea, he wasn't a maintenance worker, but would find out what it was. I got tired of waiting, so I shut the machine off myself and put it outside. My mom went down to complain about the lack of ocean view, as well as the broken a/c and that machine, and then were told we'd be put in a room on the 10th floor. While waiting for who I'm guessing was a manager (young white guy, dark hair, extremely rude and needs to learn not to exaggeratedly sigh when every time you voice a complaint or disagree with him) to figure out what was going on, we were told that we'd actually be moved to yet again another room. Finally, this suite was alright...at first. The murphy bed's headboard was broken, so if you like to sleep against a headboard, that one wouldn't have worked--I prefer no headboard, so it was okay with me. There are 2 air conditioner units in the suite--one in the double-bed part of the suite, and then one in the "living" area (with the murphy bed, couch, table, etc.). The air conditioner in the living area was disgusting--the mold was clearly visible once you look down at it, so much so, we were afraid to even touch it. Quite possibly the strangest complaint that I've ever had about anywhere I've stayed: hairballs. WTF? The first morning, I noticed 2 huge hairball things on the balcolny--no biggie, thought they maybe blew up from a tree or a bird wanted to start a nest or something. Then I started seeing them all throughout the hallways, near the elevators, and then I heard someone else in the lobby say that they'd seen one IN their room. After reading some of the reviews here on Trip Advisor, I see others have complained about strange hairballs in and around their rooms. That's just...beyond weird. Otherwise, our room was decent. I'd like to also note that we made these reservations well in advance, as did my aunt and cousin who were supposed to be in the suite next to us, as well as another aunt and uncle, who were also supposed to be next to us. None of our reservations were correct, however, and they all experienced issues as well.

When we arrived, we were told the pool and hot tub closes at 11pm. They apparently don't enforce this, because it's impossible to sleep (even on the 5th floor) because of the people partying it up in the hot tub and pool (1:35am, still couldn't sleep because of the teenagers in the hot tub and pool). The gate to get in and out of the pool/hot tub area is really loud and annoying, so not only do their voices keep you awake, every time one of them walks through the area, the gate makes a loud noise.

Elevators are really gross...I understand that the place is right on the water, and that there's pools and hot tubs all over the place, but slipping when you're getting out of an elevator because the floor is soaked isn't fun.

Vending machine on our floor wouldn't take our money, and the area it was in smelled heavily of urine...ugh.

Again, the only positive experience we had was learning more about a local attraction that the 2 employees at the front service desk were telling us about (didn't get their names, but they were excellent with giving us directions and going online and gathering information for us). Also, what I took as a manager, by the way he was dressed, gave us some information about the attraction, as well. Those 3 were the only nice (and competent!) employees at this place we encountered in our 4 days there.

The resort ended up not charging my mom--but I still can't recommend them based on the other factors.

Also, I'm giving an "average" rating to kids activities--we had no kids in our party, and didn't check out anything, so I can't really give an opinion to those.

Room Tip: Check out the room(s) BEFORE you load your stuff in them--moving all of your luggage in and out of r...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Kim B

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Raleigh, NC
Reviewed April 4, 2012

Clean freaks, germophobe and/or over protective parents do NOT stay here!!!! We recently planned a last-minute trip to Myrtle for my birthday, which unfortunately was during spring break, so most of the hotels we knew were already booked...and we didn't even get good rates :( We had heard about Captains Quarters b/c of the bowling alley...my 3 and 5-yr-olds are really into bowling now, so I booked a hotel here hoping for the best, that the bad reviews were exagerated. I SOOOO regret my decision to overlook the negative comments...my birthday was almost ruined b/c of our stay at Captains Quarters! First, when we checked in there were 2 police cars in the parking lot...we later found out that 5 (or more) rooms were broken into! It was in the old, downtown area with several abandoned motels around. I was paranoid the entire trip, thinking that someone would burst into our room...also due to the fact that there are NO dead bolts or any other form of lock on the top of the door, and having 2 mischievious preschoolers, I was also scared that they could get out! We woke up in the middle of the night the first night listening to someones car alarm going off for awhile, adding to my paranoia that someone was going to break in! I don't even know where to begin with the dirty room...I suppose that they have renovated some of the rooms b/c the photos on the web site are not that bad. Well, we apparently got an UN-renovated, disgusting filthy room, I was grossed out the entire time!...fortunately I had cleaning products, and our own pillows, bath mat, etc. I REALLY wish I had gotten my money back like others I have since read did; I didn't really think this was possible b/c I had to pay in full when I checked in, and also due to being there during spring break (never again!). I could go on and on about how dirty our room was...entire room looks like it wasn't updated since the 1960s and smelled like urine in areas (mostly closet, which I had to sleep next to)...brown carpet left our feet black (or preferably socks!) tile in bath was some green marbled color that looked like mold, and who knows what it was covering up! Refrigerator was sprayed painted to cover up rust or something, etc etc. The pools, especially the indoor ones, were very dirty as well...stading water in places, peeling walls, dripping ceiling, just in desperate needs of repairs EVERYWHERE! Outdoor pools were not as nasty, and I will say the only plus was the bowling alley, which was pretty cool. Sure this dump is a lot cheaper off season and not during holidays, I wouldn't pay more than $40 for a room that bad! We unfortunately had to pay a lot more than that b/c of the time we chose to go...normally stay at Island Vista or more upscale places, SO I TOTALLY regret not waiting or calling around more. One last major complaint (there are many other smaller one!)..."Oceanfront" room was NOT directly overlooking the ocean! It was facing ocean, BUT we were behind the VERY loud kid pools (with dumping water buckets, waterfalls, etc and loud music), which prevented me from hearing the surf! I was sooo upset b/c I love to sit on the balcony and relax while listening to the ocean...major MAJOR disappointment! Listen to bad reviews, do not overlook them! Worst 'hotel' I've ever stayed in! GROSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: If you have to book here (but don't!), at least ask for a RENOVATED room! Also, inquire about ro...
6 Thank mvkmako
Reviewed April 2, 2012

The location is all they have going for them. We went to breakfast and came back everything was fine. We then left and went to the aquarium. When we came back we noticed our room had been cleaned. When I went into the closet to get some clothes for my son I noticed my laptop which was placed behind my luggage was missing along with my two sons NY yankee hats. when the police arrived they apologize(police bring the only ones showing concern) for being late and explained that we were the 6th room that they had to get to in the hotel that had been robbed. There were 7 rooms total. NEVER AGAIN!

• Stayed March 2012