“Worst Trip To Myrtle Beach Ever!!!”

Bar Harbor Motor Inn
Ranked #161 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Medway, Ohio
“Worst Trip To Myrtle Beach Ever!!!”
Reviewed March 8, 2010

My husband and I drove down to Myrtle Beach for a job interview he had to attend. The journey took over twelve hours, so by the time we got into our hotel, we were quite tired. Upon arriving, we were confronted with extensive road work right in front of the hotel, and in hindsight this slight inconvienience should have served as a warning for how the rest of our stay there would play out. We proceeded to check in, and carry our things to the WORST elevator imaginable. It smelled like a ashtray, was very loud, and had all manner of grafitti etched in the door of it. Once we reached our second floor room, we were confronted with sticky, unclean carpets many many years past their prime, dingy paint on all the furniture, and a lamp that had more rusty pole exposed than any actual decoration or paint which may have once been on it. There were two beds in our room, and the one nearest the T.V. I discovered to have FOOD in it. Yes, food. When I turned down the blankets to get into the bed, there was actually shredded cheese and what appeared to be taco sauce all over the sheets. I was natrually, appalled, so I went to the other bed and turned it down. That one appeared to be clean, but there was still a problem... it was by the window facing a lovely view of a used CONDOM thrown on a little awning right at eye level below our window. I never looked out at our "ocean view" the whole three days we were there due to having a used condom to look at instead. The sleep there was terrible. I woke with back pain every night, and my husband couldn't sleep for the noise and fear of intruders. The people in the room next to us were loud, obnoxious, and were clearly smoking pot with a small child there with them. My husband and I basically spent three days staying as far away from that room as possible. One the night we went to the movie theatre, we came back at eleven only to find no parking spaces in the parking lot. When my husband asked the staff inside what to do they suggested we find a spot in the hotel lot across the street. It's just a shame they didn't suggest we get a room across the street to go along with our parking space there. I know we definately would've rather stayed there. So in summary, if your idea of a great vacation involves dirty sheets, breathtaking views of used condoms , or long romantic walks across busy streets carrying your luggage then this place is for you!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank cicileem4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
ontario
Reviewed February 20, 2010

the room was satisfactory, it was cleaned daily and kept up to par, view is excellent and located just right to just about anything, our room came with everything the article claimed it had, the building could use a coat of paint and some updates in the decor, plenty of hot water and the staff was pleasant and helpful.
If you want the HILTON or TRUMP TOWERS then stay there, if you want a reasonable hotel with reasonable rates and reasonable expectations then the Bar Harbor will do it for you

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Maryville, Tennessee
Reviewed October 8, 2009

I have been going to Myrtle Beach every year for about nine years now. Other than two times, I've stayed at Bar Harbor every time. I've seen just about every room they have to offer but this time I stayed in the south tower on the top floor, as my boyfriend and I had booked the King Penthouse Suite. All I have to say is WOW! Not only did we have practically half of the entire roof as our balcony (we're talking patio chairs, reclining sun chairs, and a couple of tables) but the view was amazing! Not to mention the room itself. In all the times I've stayed, I've been in the executive king suites, the regular rooms, the rooms with a bedroom in front and bedroom in back. It was all ok but this particular room really blew us away. It is actually bigger than my boyfriend's house. Some of the lights didn't work; that that didn't matter much. There was still plenty of lighting. Everything was very clean and none of our belongings were tampered with (we had a test to make sure), and the elevator worked!! The last hotel we tried to stay at, the Seaside Inn or something like that, was supposed to be a top notch resort and we paid almost twice as much to stay there because of all the pools and jacuzzis. Well, that was about the only thing they would have to offer. Bar Harbor may look a little rugged and used up but its withstood many a hurricane and tropical storm so I have to give it some credit. It was much better than being stuck in an elevator for half an hour at the other hotel!! The staff was great, although housekeeping got a little pushy with leaving us some towels. They unlocked our door while we were sleeping and we didn't have a do not disturb sign up to keep them out. The only other problem would be that the door outside to the walk to the elevator is RIGHT NEXT TO the bed, so if I try to sneak out and walk the beach alone, no way possible without waking up the boyfriend. lol But otherwise, its a great place, a nice walk to the pier and the boardwalk, and the grocery store on the other side that you can walk to as well was super helpful instead of trying to get out to food lion off of the no-arrow traffic lights on King's highway. Great time though, every time I've stayed!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Statesvile,North Carolina
Reviewed October 4, 2009

I absolutely LOVED!!! my stay at Bar Harbor! My fiance and I stayed in the King Suite Bedroom and had no problems! Anytime we asked for anything, the Bar Harbor staff was happy to oblige. The view from the window and balcony was to die for, and in fact we plan on staying again next year. Anyone who has any complaints about his place is just too high maintenance!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MtlBeachGirl
Wilkes
Reviewed September 29, 2009

My family and I went down and stayed at the Barf Harbor with friends and this was the worst experience at Myrtle Beach I have ever had. We stayed in the South tower on the 5th floor. The "executive Suite". Our bedroom was next to the elevator from hell. The loudest!
The carpet was nasty, toilet would barely flush and ran water all the time, The light bulbs were mostly out or missing, The ceiling was flaking paint onto the beds, the shower wouldn't drain for hours and to top it off we had a group of thugs and thugettes come into the room beside us for the last 2 nights and you could smell the crack and weed smoke from the wide gap under the door. Obviously there was no security We tried to call the front office but got no answer. They beat and banged the walls and doors all night both nights.
The pool wasn't filtering and pool carpet was in very unsafe condition.
We basically stayed away from the hotel as much as possible and bought a peice of carpet for our son to play on to keep him off the carpet.
Our friends rooms were in similar condition and all agreed never to book there again.
If you read a good review about the Barf Harbor I will bet the staff wrote it.
Stay Away!!!!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank birdybogey

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

va
Reviewed September 26, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Bar Harbor 9/20/09 thru 9/25/09. The rate was good, needed serious upgrades, but I was able to take my dog so I took the good with the bad and called it a wash. However, I did not expect to be stolen from and as of this day (we are home now 9/26/09) I have not been able to talk with any management. I went to the fron desk twice, my husband went once. I know the money was taken on 9/23/09. We have received not even an apology or acknowledgement from the management. If you go be prepared, hide you your stuff good (I thought I did)!!!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jaxonVa
NORTH CAROLINA
Reviewed September 23, 2009

I stayed at bar harbor a couple years ago & it seemed ok then for the price and everything. This time was a disaster. As soon as I walked in the room I didn't even know why they had maids...considering the room was nasty. I have my year old with me & I started cleaning everything before I would even set up her pack & play. WE had to wait ALL day long to get any towels. DONT STAY HERE if you have children.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family