“"Never again"”

Bar Harbor Motor Inn
Ranked #160 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed June 24, 2014

We stayed at the Bar Harbor Motor Inn the week of June 15, 2014. We picked this motel because it was pet friendly, even though it had some bad reviews. We did have a nice view of the ocean from our private balcony, but that is about the only nice thing I can say about this motel. They advertise the motel is equipped with all the comforts, conveniences and accessories of home. There were no dishes in the cabinet, not one knife, fork or spoon. We had a coffee maker, but we had to provide our own filters and coffee. They do not provide a iron or ironing board, nor is there a blow dryer. When I asked for a box of facial tissue I was told to just use toilet paper. The TV is out dated and the sound is terrible. If you can't find a parking space in their very small lot, you have to park your car across the street. Most nights there were people hanging out in the hallways, we just did not feel safe, and loud music (if you want to call it that) could be heard late at night and early in the morning. The lawn and social area is where the dogs are taken to relieve themselves, but a lot of people do not clean up the waste, this is a filthy area.

4  Thank coco299

Reviewed June 19, 2014

My family travelled to Myrtle Beach with our 2 mini daschunds and decided to stay here since it was reasonably priced and pet friendly and directly on the beach. I was appalled at the condition of this place. I stayed here with my parents as a child but boy has it gone downhill since then. The bathroom wall was covered in black mold, and we had to keep the bathroom door closed because it smelled like raw sewage. The cabinets and stove as well as the furniture and TV haven't been updated since I was last there in the 80's, not to mention it was left dirty. The dishes were filthy with grease all over them. The pool had a thick layer of scum on the tile that looked like it hadn't been cleaned all year and if you look up at the balconies from the pool, they are dry rotting and look like they could just collapse! The grounds are trashy as well. Had we not been travelling with pets I would never have stayed there. Do yourself a favor and spend a little more for a nice place.

5  Thank Sherbear34
Reviewed June 16, 2014

On Tuesday June 10th a friend and myself checked into the Bar Harbor Inn in Myrtle Beach, SC. We have a small dog and the marquee indicated "pet friendly" and not having prior reservations, thought we would give it a try. We checked into the hotel at about 8:45 p.m. The room was dated, furniture worn however the room appeared to be clean. At about 1:30 a.m. turned on light to take a shower and found roaches scattering! As if that was not enough, later on during the night, my blind dog (literally no eyes) gets stuck under the bed. I get out of bed to see what is going on and what is attracting him to get under the bed! I find a bag of Doritos (they were not my doritos mind you)! I picked the bag of chips up from underneath the bed and threw them away. Same situation again, only the other bed! I get up, look underneath the bed to find McDonalds food wrappers, cups, old dirty socks, etc. I after moving bed literally picking up the trash, I proceed to bathroom and what do I find more roaches!! That was it, I gathered my friend, my dog and my belongings and checked out. And the kicker is....when it was reported to the front desk and demanded our money back, the clerk stated "I'll let the head housekeeper know". No apologies, no refund for the one night stay, no concern about the condition of the room, etc. I have traveled to many countries, some of which have been third-world, that was cleaner than the Bar Harbor Inn!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
6  Thank Robin P
Reviewed June 14, 2014

Got in late on a weeknight, stopped because it was pet friendly and had stayed there about 10 years ago with a good experience. Got up during early morning hours and bathroom was ROACH infested! Did not stay, WOULD NOT RECOMMEND!

Room Tip: Don't pick this hotel... no good rooms!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank Beesmom
rhowell62, General Manager at Bar Harbor Motor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2014

That incident was a isolated one. Most bug issues we have are the palmetto bugs that live in the palmetto trees. All of our rooms are treated every month by a certified pest control service. This problem has been resolved.

Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY BECAUSE YOU WILL NOT GET A REFUND!! Mad reservations here they quoted me a nice room for a decent price then tell me after I booked that they quoted the wrong price which ended up being $300 more for our weeks stay..they put us on the very top floor and I don't do heights well I asked if we could switch rooms or even maybe split and rent two of their cheaper rooms they said yea for $400 more ontop of the extra $300 I just paid for a misquote. The rooms were filthy and disgusting, roaches, holes in walls, broken sink, broken balcony, broken bathroom door. I asked for a refund they said if we left the room immediately and it was clean they would give us our refund so we did and took the key to the office for them to tell us that they couldn't give us a refund because our money has already been deposited into the bank and they couldn't give us a refund that we either had the choice to stay there or pay another $400 for cheaper rooms. And then she said that we broke the bathroom door when we were only in the room a total of 15 mins before asked for a refund. So we have no choice but to stay because we are out $975...DO NOT STAY HERE THEY ARE VERY VERY VERY RUDE!!!

• Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank Amy R

As I recall your room was on the 6th floor. 2 gentlemen came down and I did move you to a lower floor to 2 rooms. The 6th floor room would accommodate your large group. 1 of the lower rooms would not. I discounted the 2 lower floor rooms so you could move down to a height that suited you. 2 rooms will always be more than 1.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

We came to myrtle beach with no reservations. Saw a great price and stopped. Got a 4th floor room with ocean front view with balcony. Room needs updating. Bathroom needed much updating. Asked housekeeping for TP never got any, she did bring towels I asked for. It is close to the boardwalk and 2nd ave pier. Not as crowded on the beach which was great. Two different buildings, one wit outdoor pool and one with heated indoor grat place for spring break kids who don't want anything fancy and afraid to break something

Room Tip: All rooms ocean front, like above....one with indoor pool the other outdoor
3  Thank Pamela P

Thank you for your review. We strive to give the best value for your dollar. I have been in touch with the housekeeping supervisor regarding the tissue and she assured me she has that problem corrected. Thank you for staying at Barharbor.

Reviewed June 4, 2014

It was a dirty hotel! Roaches were crawling in the refrigerator!!! Thin hard dingy sheets!! I had to go to Walmart to buy sheets and a blanket!! I would never stay there again, and would not recommend it to anyone!!!

Room Tip: Do not stay there!!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends