“Take your money and run!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Bar Harbor Motor Inn
Ranked #158 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed August 23, 2008

I guess in years past this may have been a nice hotel. Asked for a no smoking room and was told they don't have no smoking rooms.. Asked for keys to see other rooms and saw 6 before we could find one that we would even consider sleeping in. Either smelled like paint or cigarettes. The carpets in all were filthy. I wore socks to walk on the floor the whole time. The tile floors were sweating and slick. The door had a one inch crack under it so anything could slither in. The walls were cracked and peeling in all of the rooms and the baseboards were all missing. In the first room we were given, the air conditioning was broken. We asked for maintenance and when they never came we asked to see the 5 other rooms. I guess we chose the least disgusting of the 6. The room still smelled like smoke but was not as bad as the other 5. The telephone receiver was filthy. The wooden furniture had spills on it that had never been wiped off. One of the legs of the coffee table was about to fall off. The carpet had cigarette burns and looked like candy or gum was gound into them in several places. The bathtub and shower could have used a good scrubbing. There was a note to wash the dishes or there would be a 50 dollar charge to your credit card. "What dishes"? There was one fork, 2 spoons and one butter knife.
There were 2 plates, 2 glasses, and a few coffee cups. Bought eggs and sausage so we would not have to go out for breakfast, but had to cook them in a pot because there was no frying pan.
Most of the outlets did not work. There was no hair dryer or iron.
They are suppose to be queen beds but they are not. Old mattresses that feel like you are sleeping on a rock. So old that they dip in and you feel like you are in a hole. The elevator is a nightmare. You wonder if you will ever get out. The electrical system if ripped out of the wall and is a fire hazard. The smoke detectors do not work. The outdoor carpet smells like pee. Garbage bags were sitting in front of some doors for days. The pool was another safety issue. I don't think it was being cleaned or clorinated. The tiles were filthy and there was a build up of bubbling discolored water that collected in the corners of the pool. Paint chips from the balcony were falling into the pool from above. The maid did bring towels and make the bed but I think that is all she did. The floor was not cleaned and no shampoo, soap or toilet paper was restocked. Some of the outlets were pu
lled out of the walls and the cable cord was dangling. The only positive true thing about this hotel is that it was oceanfront.
We would have left if we had not already paid all our money and there were no refunds. i would never stay here again and would not tell anyone else about it. In my opinion this place needs to be shut down. Not only is it filthy but it may be a health
and safety hazard due to the pool and the wiring dangling from the elevator and in some of the rooms. I just wish I had taken pictures.The slum lords who own this place should be ashamed of themselves.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank disgusted49

Reviewed August 13, 2008

Bar Harbor is a hidden treasure burried in between multi million dollar resorts! For an older hotel she still holds her own! Our room was a 2 bedroom efficiency with a great ocean front view from the balcony. It was clean and the staff was great! It was nice to be within walking distance to family kingdom, and a lot of stores. and the fireworks display from the pier on Wed. nite was Awsome!

If your looking for a pristeen clean resort with bell hops and room service this is not the place for you. However if your looking for a clean hotel that is very affordable this place is it.

If you like body boarding there is a natural swell between the hotel and the pier that is one of the best for riding!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Beach_Lovin_Farmers
Reviewed July 25, 2008

We Stayed For 4 Nights. It Was My Grandparents, Father, Me & My Boyfriend. We Got A King Suite With 2 Beds & A Pull Out Sofa. The Room Was Great! The Air Conditioning Was Tore Up So We Called About It & They Sent Someone Up In About 10 Minutes. He Checked It Out & Brought Up A Brand New Air Conditioning Unit! The Refrigerator Didn't Work Too Well But After We Stopped Opening & Closing It, It Would Freeze Bottled Water! Room Service Is NOT Room Service! If You Wanted Clean Towels Or Washcloths You Had To Take The Dirty Ones Down To The Office Yourself In Return For Clean Ones. If You've Ever Been To MB, Then You Should Know When It Storms...It Really Storms!We Stayed On The 5 Floor & The Rain Soaked The Entire Floor & Our Roof Leaked So Our Clothes Got Wet! And When It Rains, The Bottom Parking Deck Under The 2nd Building Floods! Literally! The Drains Were Stopped Up & Water Was Up To Our Ankles! We Never Saw A Roach, But We Did See A Palmetto Bug & Those Look A Lot Like Roaches With Wings! They Live In Palm Trees & Can Easily Get Into Rooms. So That Is More Than Likely What People Think Are Roaches When They Visit. There Are 2 Pools On Site. An Outdoor & A 4-1/2 Foot Deep Indoor. To Get To The Indoor, You Go Into The Office's Building Elevator, Go To The 3 Floor, And Walk To The End. The Lazy River, Jacuzzi, Kiddie Play Area, And Another 4-1/2 Foot Deep Pool Are At The Sister Motel Next Door Called The Bermuda Sands. The Shower Head Didn't Have Much Pressure So I Washed My Thick Hair In The Sink. If You Have Thin Hair, It Will Be Okay. All Rooms Are Oceanfront & You Can See Parasailers Floating By Your Window. It's A Short Walk To The Family Kingdom Amusement Park & Every Wednesday Night They Shoot Fireworks From The Pier! They're Gorgeous & You Can See Them From Family Kingdom! You Have Personal Balconies & They're Awesome! We Woke Up At 5 a.m & Went Searching For Seashells! We Found So Many Whole Ones! A Squid Or Jellyfish Washed Up On Shore Monday Night & There Are Quite A Few Little Crabs! But Overall It Was A Great Experience.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank kaitlin_linae
Reviewed July 19, 2008

My two daughters, two grandkids and I stayed for three nights. After reading all the reviews we were afraid of what we had gotten our selves into. When we got there they were very nice and got our room for us early. Our room was clean and everything was in working order. We had a great view and was close enough to walk to shops, the pier, general store, etc. We had a great time. The cleaning staff was very nice. The kids really enjoyed the pool and the kiddie pool. We also had a very nice staff member who came up and unlocked our door when my grandchildren locked us out. It was not a real fancy hotel and is in need of some updating but for the price we were pleased.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2008

Wow,
I really enjoyed my 1 night stay.
I just saw all the reviews.I didnt think it was bad at all. It was a beautiful view. The only roach I saw was on the private patio. It was a great view of the pier and beach.The pool was clean. There were too many kids for me. The only thing i will agree with is the elevators. They were scary

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank jkwalleye5
Reviewed February 23, 2008

We had a restless drive from Mooresville NC with 8 kids and 3 adults. Everyone was so tired and wanted to relax and when we got there, we were scared to close our eyes. We were disgusted! It was the worst hotel I have ever seen! The hallways smelt like pee. I held my breath everytime I walked outside. THe rooms were terrible. There was rat poop on the floor, we were cramped because the hotel sold our other room after they forgot to book 2 rooms, and the room smelt as if there were dead bodies stuffed between the walls. We went to Family Kingdom and ordered a maid to clean up a little, and when we got back the room was still a mess, the TV was on, a bottle of wine was opened and 50 dollars was missing! We suggest that if you are booked at The Bar Harbor to cancel your trip. Its not worth it. The worst part of the whole trip was the pull out couch. We had to have 4 kids sleep on it and during the night, it collapsed. My daughter Sephra sprained her arm. One of the bars on the balconey was missing, so none of the kids were allowed on it. Before we cooked breakfast that morning, I got the pans out and there was a dead roach on it. There was also a mold like substance on the sink and around the toilet seat. Someone also peed on the elevator and the stairwells so we couldn't get out of our room! This place needs to be shut down immediatley.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank becca9495
Reviewed January 15, 2008

This is one place i will definately never recommend to anyone. We were expecting at least a clean room, not even close. The flooring was dirty and looked as though it had been puked on and not cleaned, there were no blankets, just the sheet on the bed, and it did not even fit, they took two smaller sheets to cover entire area, and who knows how long the bed spread had been on. Mold and numerous cracks all over the walls and ceiling, the doors were not level or plum so cold air was rushing in all the time, we had a balcony, but there was no privacy, because the room next to us had their window looking out at our balcony. Just an over all filthy run down hotel. The outside was such a dissapointment, that we knew the room wasnt going to be much to brag about. dirty balconies, rust everywhere, improprly repaired walls, paint peeling off. Just never go there, save your money. i had wanted to go to the AVISTA hotel, but from the internet, my wife had thought bar harbor was just as good, the picture does not show the real hotel, and the description is way off. she now admits she was entirely wrong. we will be staying elsewhere from now on.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank harveygreen44