“Horrible Place”

Bar Harbor Motor Inn
Ranked #160 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed January 20, 2014

My wife and i like to get away a few weekends out of the year so we decided to try out bar harbor.
First of all Mellisa (the night time front desk girl) was great , wish i could have talked to her manager because she deserves a huge raise. After we paid for our room she could not find the key because the daytime staff did not turn in the keys to the rooms, clearly embarrassed she kept her cool and kept us calm until she was able to resolve the matter. Now as for the rest of this place it was dirty, dirty, dirty the elevator does not work, the safety bars on our balcony where rusting off our dishwasher was stopped up and there was standing water in the bottom of it, we stayed two nights and had no room cleaning at all so we had to go ask for fresh towels. Take my advice my wife and i have stayed at alot of hotels in myrtle beach over the years and this is by far the worst experience we have ever had. DONT STAY HERE.

2  Thank andy p

Reviewed January 18, 2014

We stayed two nights at a hotel down the street and decided to stay an extra night. The hotel we were at wanted to charge mec $30 more than the rate I had. So I called Bar Harbor and got the greatest customer service from the desk attendant, Jessica. She welcomed our dog and gave me a great rate. She even arraigned for us to check in as soon as I checked out of the other hotel. Bar harbor is older and needs some updating and some paint here and there, but its clean, quiet and comfortable. We would stay again when traveling with my dog.

3  Thank Stacey M
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Me and mine husband stay at this hotel and found it was a wonderful place to stay, it was near a lot of things to do and see. We really didn't have to get in our car and use gas. The staff were really friendly and I can bring mine pet and not have to worry about someone keeping it . There is a pier near by and this summer I will come back and enjoy our vacation. I been coming to the beach for 40 years and this is the first time i have found a place that i can call a home away from home.

2  Thank Stephanie F
Reviewed January 14, 2014

While I was stationed at Fort Bragg, NC between 1996 and 2002 we always went to Myrtle Beach for fun. After trying a few hotels over time we found Bar Harbor and they became the only hotel for us. I retired in 2002 and relocated to Peoria, AZ. Finally, in 2013 I returned to Fort Bragg and we visited Myrtle Beach for New Years. We arrived in the afternoon and checked in about 2pm. They gave us two adjoining rooms on the 5th floor with a cost of $90. The elevator did not work but we accepted the rooms. We were able to access the first room but not the second. Not wanting to sit in the room we informed the front desk that we would be going to eat, shop and return later to the room. She assured us that she was going to have the maintenance guy unlock the middle door to the two rooms and also fix the lock to the door that we couldn’t open. This sounded great to us so we departed the hotel to venture out into the city of Myrtle Beach for sight-seeing and our enjoyment. We ended up having dinner at Planet Hollywood and spent the early evening hours of New Year’s Eve at Broadway on the Beach where they had great fireworks. We had a blast and about 11pm we decide to go back to the room for our champagne at midnight. We all climbed to the 5th floor and to our surprise we were not able to access our second room. I went back down to the front office to inform them and the same woman that checked us in was there. This time in dealing with her, a very unprofessional attitude from her. Again she said that she would send the guy up to access our door. Nothing was happening in a timely manner. I asked how long this was going to take and she said that she didn’t know. I asked “where is the guy”, she didn’t know. Anything I asked she couldn’t answer and just had such an “I don’t care attitude”. I was in such belief. This is the place that had taken care of me for so many years. I asked “didn’t you send up the guy to do this earlier?” She just said she didn’t know what happened. She offered me a refund and that I didn’t have to stay there. I walked out not knowing that to do. I walked next door and they had rooms available and their elevators were working. I went back to Bar Harbor, removed all of our property from the room, got my refund and went back to the hotel next door. There, the gentleman took care of us, got us acceptable accommodations and we were finally in our room only moments before the stroke of midnight. We were able to enjoy our champagne and some of the New Year’s shows on TV. The room was only $63 for the night too. The Bar Harbor room was $90 and change. The refund took about a week to show up in my account. I will never stay at Bar Harbor again. After my experience I have found they didn’t care about us. I will be back to the Myrtle Beach area but we will NEVER STAY AT BAR HARBOR HOTEL. They are a failure to the local area.

DANIEL J. ESTRADA

Room Tip: See the room before you sign for it. We found out the hotel locals only want your money.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank sosb528
Reviewed November 25, 2013

What a Great family and pet friendly place. It's hard to find places that will let you bring your four legged loved ones. Our dogs are part of our family and we don't like to travel without them. We had a very nice room with 2 queen beds and a kitchen. Bar Harbor has a nice grassy area with a doggie bathroom station complete with plastic bags. Janet at the front desk recommeded a local seafood place for our anniversary dinner....Sea Captain's House, that's been in Myrtle Beach since 1934. It was the best seafood I've had in MB. We are definately coming again next year for our anniversary ( Nov 25 ). Bar Harbor let us tour another room that we'd like to stay in next year!! See you then...

Room Tip: Rooms in the office building have a nicer balcony.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chris B
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Traveled to Myrtle Beach on Oct 24, 2013. Flew into Charlotte, there were delays and my plane didn't land until 5:45 pm. So I was looking at a 4 hour drive to MB. No Problem! Still get there before 11:00 pm. Bar Harbor had warned that their office closed at 11:00 pm. 10:40 pm I get to MB and my GPS has taken me to the Grand Dunes Resort. I'm lost. Called Bar Harbor and Jennifer, the night clerk/manager, knew immediately what the problem was. She instructed me to put the address including zip code into my GPS. Without the zip code I would wind up in North MB or Surfside, depending on the GPS model. Ok! Back in the saddle. Arrived at Bar Harbor at 11:01 pm. Jennifer was closing up but took care of me anyway. Great Job. Friendly! Courteous, Smiling at 11:00 pm. Jennifer had told me on the phone if I didn't make if before she closed I should go across the street to their "Sister" property "Oceans One". No Problem. Went to my room, unpacked, and checked everything out. Discovered there was no TP anywhere in the room. It happens. Now I know myself and I know I am going to need TP almost as soon as I get up. So off to Oceans One I go. There was a night clerk/manager behind the reception desk talking to a rather large security person in the lobby. I went to the reception desk, showed my Bar Harbor Key card and explained I didn't have any TP in my room. The clerk looked at me as if I had interrupted something very important. After a brief staredown, he got and went into the back. He returned with a roll of TP and said "In the future you will have to get supplies from the Bar Harbor reception" His entire attitude was one of I can't bothered to help a "customer" who helps pay my salary. He needs remedial training in customer relation. To sum it all up. Bar Harbor is a bit dated but its location near the 2nd street pier, wonderful balcony views, courteous staff will bring me back. I will just make sure I don't arrive after 11:00 pm. Oceans One. I will never ever stay there.

JDH

Room Tip: Sorry No Restaurant. Didn't use Fitness center
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Weekend get-away and came with no reservations and knowing that we would find a place to stay. Didn't want to spend a lot and still be ocean-front. Sign out front grabbed our attention as one of 3 places.

Place obviously can use a little tender-loving-care (TLC) but, cant' they all? Some parts are very updated and "new" so it leads me to think that during the off-season they are renovating the property. So, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt....but it was an excellent bargain, private ocean-front balcony which is what we wanted.

Our room was fairly clean. Exception, some salt-sand but you are on the ocean-front, so.... Bathroom, a big item for us, was well cleaned (missed a dirt spot behind the door, but other than that) and well lit, another big plus for us! Room was fairly clean as well, entry floor had some sand, again you are beach-front..... Bedding was good, clean, nice. Our complaint (purely ours and a matter of opinion) we didn't like the pillows on the bed. 2 were ok (our likes) and 1 definitely had been in the washer (if you've washed pillows you know how they can "clump-and-wad" but this told us they were clean!). Nice....

Room, we would have liked another lamp in the corner, as it got a bit dark over by the AC unit...opinion. On our second day, the housecleaner came knocking on the door at 10am and opened it (to wake us...oops) but then never returned. That was a "fail" on her part, but perhaps she was told only attempt a room-clean once and to move on. As we were only staying another day, not a big deal, but..... So we can't comment on the way the room was cleaned during our stay.

Furniture (tv stand) was used but functional...tv was an older-Sharp tv (hey you are at the beach, so who really goes to watch tv). Couch was a "leather" of some such and was rather nice

Over-all, the property was good, a great bargain for the money!

Room Tip: This property is all "ocean-front" rooms, from what I could tell. Street-side exterior co...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple