“Don't Arrive after 11:00 pm-Oceans One won't help” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Bar Harbor Motor Inn
Ranked #155 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Williamsville, New York
“Don't Arrive after 11:00 pm-Oceans One won't help”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

Traveled to Myrtle Beach on Oct 24, 2013. Flew into Charlotte, there were delays and my plane didn't land until 5:45 pm. So I was looking at a 4 hour drive to MB. No Problem! Still get there before 11:00 pm. Bar Harbor had warned that their office closed at 11:00 pm. 10:40 pm I get to MB and my GPS has taken me to the Grand Dunes Resort. I'm lost. Called Bar Harbor and Jennifer, the night clerk/manager, knew immediately what the problem was. She instructed me to put the address including zip code into my GPS. Without the zip code I would wind up in North MB or Surfside, depending on the GPS model. Ok! Back in the saddle. Arrived at Bar Harbor at 11:01 pm. Jennifer was closing up but took care of me anyway. Great Job. Friendly! Courteous, Smiling at 11:00 pm. Jennifer had told me on the phone if I didn't make if before she closed I should go across the street to their "Sister" property "Oceans One". No Problem. Went to my room, unpacked, and checked everything out. Discovered there was no TP anywhere in the room. It happens. Now I know myself and I know I am going to need TP almost as soon as I get up. So off to Oceans One I go. There was a night clerk/manager behind the reception desk talking to a rather large security person in the lobby. I went to the reception desk, showed my Bar Harbor Key card and explained I didn't have any TP in my room. The clerk looked at me as if I had interrupted something very important. After a brief staredown, he got and went into the back. He returned with a roll of TP and said "In the future you will have to get supplies from the Bar Harbor reception" His entire attitude was one of I can't bothered to help a "customer" who helps pay my salary. He needs remedial training in customer relation. To sum it all up. Bar Harbor is a bit dated but its location near the 2nd street pier, wonderful balcony views, courteous staff will bring me back. I will just make sure I don't arrive after 11:00 pm. Oceans One. I will never ever stay there.

JDH

Room Tip: Sorry No Restaurant. Didn't use Fitness center
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Pineville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

Weekend get-away and came with no reservations and knowing that we would find a place to stay. Didn't want to spend a lot and still be ocean-front. Sign out front grabbed our attention as one of 3 places.

Place obviously can use a little tender-loving-care (TLC) but, cant' they all? Some parts are very updated and "new" so it leads me to think that during the off-season they are renovating the property. So, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt....but it was an excellent bargain, private ocean-front balcony which is what we wanted.

Our room was fairly clean. Exception, some salt-sand but you are on the ocean-front, so.... Bathroom, a big item for us, was well cleaned (missed a dirt spot behind the door, but other than that) and well lit, another big plus for us! Room was fairly clean as well, entry floor had some sand, again you are beach-front..... Bedding was good, clean, nice. Our complaint (purely ours and a matter of opinion) we didn't like the pillows on the bed. 2 were ok (our likes) and 1 definitely had been in the washer (if you've washed pillows you know how they can "clump-and-wad" but this told us they were clean!). Nice....

Room, we would have liked another lamp in the corner, as it got a bit dark over by the AC unit...opinion. On our second day, the housecleaner came knocking on the door at 10am and opened it (to wake us...oops) but then never returned. That was a "fail" on her part, but perhaps she was told only attempt a room-clean once and to move on. As we were only staying another day, not a big deal, but..... So we can't comment on the way the room was cleaned during our stay.

Furniture (tv stand) was used but functional...tv was an older-Sharp tv (hey you are at the beach, so who really goes to watch tv). Couch was a "leather" of some such and was rather nice

Over-all, the property was good, a great bargain for the money!

Room Tip: This property is all "ocean-front" rooms, from what I could tell. Street-side exterior co...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Winston Salem, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

My spouse and I arrived in town without a reservation but a determination to find an oceanfront room to spend the weekend at. We desired a clean open and inviting oceanfront space at a very reasonable off season rate. After a disappointing viewing we were recommended to try Bar Harbor at 100 Ocean Blvd. much to our surprise the room was clean, bright, open,inviting,and oceanfront, just what we wanted. The price was terrific. We spent a relaxing and wonderful 3 day weekend. Room access was very convenient and the one-level parking was delightful. We will return. The bed was too hard but we persevered.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank bridgette m
Church Hill, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

We had the best vacation ever. My wife and I and our best friends of 26 years had not been on a couples getaway in 10 years and we choose Bar Harbor, Lena and the staff was awesome. Room was very very clean, beds slept great, indoor heated pool was very relaxing, and the balcony, what a view, and we got to bring our pet. WE DID NOT WANT TO LEAVE. Best place to stay and the best price in Myrtle Beach. Hope to see you again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

Pleasant staff.room was $80 and it ain't Hampton Inn.
Wasn't filthy but really could use maintenance as other than a bad painter or 5 it ain't had any. We would stay again but it's definitely on the lower end of the spectrum

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Leanira
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

My husband and our two best friends just came back spending a fabulous week @ the Bar Harbour Hotel at Myrtle Beach. The young lady at the desk who's name was Lena was so nice & very helpful there was another young man there at the desk who offered to help with our luggage. The room was very clean & housekeeping staff offered to help us evertime we saw them. Kitchenette was very nice & clean, we couldn't ask to be treated any better by a hotel staff. We will certainly be back to the Bar Harbour of myrtle Beach. I'm not a Hyatt Regency type person, all I want is a nice clean safe friendly place to stay & Bar Harbour is it.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank pj24244
Dayton, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

We were in the south building, 4th floor, ocean veiw. For the price it wasn't bad. Sure it could use some fixing up, but our room was clean, and the desk people and cleaning staff were very friendly. The indoor pool was cold, but both looked clean. The location was great, walking distance to the boardwalk. The parking on the south side building was terrible, but plenty over flow parking across the street, so that wasn't an issue. I would stay there again. The biggest complaint would be, we were told no pets are allowed above the 2nd floor, but they were on all floors. Not a big deal in itself, but they should have been honest about that. For the price I would have given them above average, but the pet issue bumped it down.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple