“Never again!!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #156 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Elizabethton, Tennessee
“Never again!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

We have been faithful patrons of the Bar Harbour, but have decided this is our last time staying there. We have been about 6 times, the last being about 2 years ago, and things have gotten much worse. We won't go back again.
We will put up with a lot, but one thing I can't stand is roaches, and our room was absolutely covered in roaches. The bathroom and kitchen was the worst, although they are all over the room. We usually cook our breakfast, but in the morning time the roaches were EVERYWHERE, and it just turned my stomach for cooking. In 5 days, I never unpacked my suitcase for fear of carrying one home with me. I got out what I needed daily. In FIVE days, we saw a housekeeper come to our room once...ONCE...and that was to ask if we needed anything. I was so furious I just said towels, and she handed me a stack. What cleaning was done in those 5 days, I did.
Now the staff is great, the rooms were clean, but I'm not battling roaches on my vacation.
The pool is nice, BUT, it closes at 11pm. Thing is, no one sees that it's closed, so there are people swimming and yelling all night. I like to have a good time myself, but not at 3 or 4 o'clock in the morning! Anyway, thats it, thats all. We have said good-bye to Bar Harbour.

Room Tip: If you stat here, be sure to bring roach spray with you.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Pam M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

The staff was awesome Haley helped us out a lot we have booked another room in 3 weeks. The room was nice and we felt very much at home. I have recommended bar harbor to my friends thank you for making my stay great. Only motel I've been in that I didnt feel the need to lysol it.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank xfiles32
Gainesville, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

Updated since we stayed last year and the new rooms look great! It was 10x's better than the original hotel we booked, which was filthy and disgusting, thankfully Haley upfront helped us book a room at Bar Harbor. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and Haley constantly made sure we were taken care of and that our stay was nice! Planning to go back soon!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Mount Sterling, Kentucky
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

This is a typical minimum amenity hotel on the strip. OK location, kind of a hike to the main area where Ripley's and all that is. Great location for 2nd Ave Pier. No hairdryers in rooms, lazy housekeepers- you see them sitting in the stairwells on their phones. Dirty bedspreads, headboards, windows, etc. in the room. Disgusting elevator, guests let their dogs urinate in it. Good parking and friendly front desk. They let me use the facilities before my room was ready.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Kristy622
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

we stay there for the week of the 4th as soon as we got in the ceiling was leaking water the microwave was broken later on the sheetrock from the ceiling begin to fallour neighbors were outrageously loud 2-4 in the AM we call the front desk and nobody would do anything about that this was the worst hotel I've ever stayed at my entire life especially for the money that I've spent

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank bumm1000rr

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

We(me,hubby,grandson and mother) were here 5/29/13-06/02/13. We stayed in the renovated building room 503 and it was great as usual. This was a two bedroom unit. The room opens into a bedroom with a Q-size bed, and TV. You go thru a doorway and have the it shares a bath with the other room which also serves as the Living room and has a complete kitchen. If you plan to cook a lot,bring a few of your favorite pans. They have some but are limited so use common sense. If you rarely cook, there should be plenty of plates, cups etc . I always bring a baking pan for frozen food and my fav pot and fry pan. We buy paper plates and utensils to make sure we have enough and are not doing dishes our entire vacation. The 2nd bedroom/living room has two queen beds, a TV and leads to a fabulous balcony with oceanfront views. We are the start of the Boardwalk and right beside the 2nd ave pier which also has a restaurant. The Family Kingdom Amusement park is about 4 blocks away and also has a water park. The other Pavillion area and all the stores are about a 10 minute walk away so this location is wonderful. Lena gave us a wonderful rate and every employee was kind and courteous. My only complaint is you had to wear bedroom shoes or walking on the carpet would leave your feet black. I never complained so of course they never knew of my dissatisfaction. Other than that, our trip was fabulous. We spent many hours just sitting on the balcony watching the action below. We have stayed here every year for the past 7 years. I have NEVER had a bad trip and never even think of calling other hotels. This place has value, a great location and meets all our needs and the price is wonderful.

Room Tip: stay in the building with the office. They are renovating this building so you will likely have bett...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank cindi m
Collinsville, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

My daughter and her new husband had book a room for 4 nights for a belated honeymoon at another hotel in MB...it was a dump. I called Melissa at Bar Harbor and she fixed them up with an ocean front room with a private balcony and SAVED their honeymoon. Thank you Melissa for helping them get a BETTER room than what they had originally were going to get. You possibly saved my daughter from an asthma attack also (from the moldy OTHER hotel). I am sure next trip to MB will be with you again. Thank you so much.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple