“not what I was expecting” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bar Harbor Motor Inn

Bar Harbor Motor Inn
Ranked #156 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Nashville, Tennessee
“not what I was expecting”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

This was my first trip to Myrtle Beach. The friend that I was traveling with had stayed here before and made the reservations. We were traveling with our two dogs and the Bar Harbor being pet-friendly was a major factor in our choosing to stay there. We checked in and went out to eat before going to the room. The elevator was rickety and a little nerve-wracking as our room was on the 7th floor. It needed to be mopped and there were cigarette butts and trash on the floor. Upon our arrival, the first thing we noticed was that the air-co was not working as it was rather hot outside. We had a 2 bedroom suite so there were 2 air-cos..neither worked! The room was far from clean and the tacky orange bedspreads were stained. There had obviously been some leaks as the ceiling had been patched in several places..there were also a few holes in the wall. The floor was dirty. I was somewhat surprised that the place looked so run-down as it was advertised as a premium oceanfront hotel. We attempted to call the front desk to report the lack of air-co but the phone was broken. We went downstairs and spoke with the desk clerk. He was an older man and very rude. When we reported the broken air-co he said it was too late to do anything since we had waited so long to report it. We asked to be moved but the hotel was full. When we asked to be comped if we couldn't move he acted like we were lying to get an upgrade or something for nothing. We spent a miserable night with no air. They did fix it the next morning and upon checkout we were comped $50. Big deal. The dog area was filthy and none of the other guests bothered to clean up after their dogs. It was filthy and covered with dog poop. Obviously the hotel staff didn't clean the area. It was nasty. We stayed 3 nights and I don't consider myself a person that's hard to please but it was pretty bad. The clerk that we had the run-in with was absolutely horrible. I can't imagine keeping someone around that acted like this. If you decide to stay here its right on the beach and the balcony is nice. The beds were very uncomfortable and hard. The class of guests was rowdy and doors were slammed all night long. It was certainly an adventure.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Ravenswood,WV
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

We were looking for a nice place to spend our week in Myrle Beach. Accidently ran across add on internet, and we stopped here. The price was good, and the view was fantastic. We were not expecting anything spectacular and weren't afforded much more. The redeeming feature for us was that we were on the first floor of the second building and it had a deck, large deck shared by four other rooms. The view was great from here with access to the beach a short stroll. But why leave the deck, the view and sounds were what we were looking for. The room was rather tight for us, but manageable, the furnishings were straight up motel equipment. Our room had one light that didn't work with the cord cut, not able to plug it in. The beds were well used up, with a hump in one and a low corner on the other queen bed. The two pillows per bed were flat. The TV was an older tube type, but worked great. We had an efficiency with small kitchen area. The utensils were basic, and limited. No steak knifes, etc. The refrigerator and stove were not level. Also on that line, no hair dryer, or iron. The bathroom was adequate, with concerns about a brown spot on the wall, and no toilet paper holder. The tile in the floorway leading to the room was slick when we first entered, almost fell twice. We requested no house keeping the first day, but the other four days they were attended to but three nights I slept with sand in my bed. Also on the deck area, there was no reentry to the room if the door was shut, requiring a walk around to the front door to reenter the room, throught the pool area and parking area between buildings. The curtains over the A/C units were covered by curtains, requiring a stuffing of the curtains to get the cool air flowing into the room to maintain privacy. The parking area is very iffy. We stayed on the first floor and expected to have a parking spot upon returning from an outing. We were lucky I had a very small vehicle. I feel the tenants in upstair rooms should park in the basement and ride the elevator to their floor, not park on first floor parking area.
When we come back we will look hard at staying here again, it served it's purpose for us. Like other places for vacation, it's a place to stay at night, so fancy amenities are not that important, you're not going to be there all the time. It was an OK place.

Room Tip: Bring any daily utensils you require.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

We have been coming here for the past five years and I have never regretted it. I usually come down early June w/family and then sneak back with hubby for some couples time. My only complaint and I was told they are looking into getting it, is no wi-fi. Otherwise I refuse to stay anywhere else because of the great location. Family Kingdom is only about 4 blocks away,The 2nd ave pier is next door and you can walk on it or have a great meal w/o ever moving your car. We have a fabulous view of the ocean and can also sit on the balcony street side and watch the cars and people going up/down Ocean Blvd..

I just left after a 3 day couples getaway on Sunday 9/16/12 and our time was wonderful. We stayed in room 604,had a great time on the balcony overlooking the ocean and the 2nd ave pier. When I checked in, the room was clean,cool from the working A/C and welcoming. I was putting our kitchen items away(we always bring our own) and noticed we needed an ash tray(we are smokers) and a dish towel and dish cloth. I walked to the ofice,was given an ashtray and a promise to have the cloths sent up. They arrived w/in 30 minutes. Management has always treated us great,they have taken care of any need immediately and I have never seen them treat anyone rudlely.
I have never in the past five years seen a bug in our room or had any problem with nastiness in the room. They rooms are always clean(not new but comfortable) The beds are firm and I sleep great which surprises me everytime since I usually can't sleep in motels. I do remember once the door the the balcony kept locking automatically and I worried about getting locked out there. I reported it to the office and a repairman was there in less than an hour.
If you plan to stay here,expect things to be older. They are slowly replacing the carpets and the one in 604 looked almost new.There are supposed to be dishes in every kitchenette and there are,but it is basic and you may need more. I always being a set of silverware for each person and a baking pan,frying pan and a pot. The TV does not pick up HBO but I had about 45 channels to choose from. Who goes to the beach to stay in your room? The bathrooms are older but everything worked(needed a little better water pressure but I never run out of how water!
I've stayed at other more expensive hotels and have found that for the money,you can't beat this for the location(Boardwalk starts right in the backyard!). I even had a relative die during a trip a few years ago and they refunded the rest of my money since I left three days early. I didn't expect them too,they offered. Who does that! I've read the other reviews and really have a hard time believing them. My question is usually,did they really bring the problems to the attention of the manager or suffer in silence instead of having things taken care of during their stay? If you want a perfect location,great ocean and boardwalk views,budget friendly and PET friendly,then this is the place. Will be calling around March to make my usual reservations for June. Hope to see you there!!

Room Tip: Try to avoid the bottom floor. Stayed there once and it was noisy with the sunbathers and also ithe...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank cindi m
greenville
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

The rooms were not clean: furniture had not been dusted in forever, the floors had not been mopped in years (the bottom of my feet were black as well as the white socks I wore). It appears to me the housekeeping staff does not detail clean the rooms. Maybe the housekeeping supervisor and the general mamager needs to be better trained. Your crew is only as good as their leader. The door was extremely hard to open ( was reported and the maintemance man said it needs a new key, but this did not help). The repair work on the ceiling and walls could have been done much better, cheap labor I guess. The outdoor pool was not cleaned daily and the kiddie pool was nasty. Our trash can was not emptied the day before we left. I guess I stayed at the cheaper building. I wonder what the rooms are like in the main building.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank GreenvilleSjones

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Marion, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

We just returned from Bar Harbor after a 6 day stay. Although we enjoyed a much needed vacation, I must say that this place was a huge disappointment. I read some of the other negative reviews and I too saw some of the same issues. The carpet was nasty and should have been replaced 10+ yrs ago. The bathroom door and wall had holes that appeared to be from someone's fist. The private balcony had huge roaches over an inch long especially at night. I too didn't want to walk on the carpeting without socks on. The housekeeping staff are lazy and needs to all be fired, to say the least. All I saw them do was stay on break most of the time gathering down on the lower level. The corners and crevices have the same dirt and filth that has been there for years. The elevator was always smelly and most of the lights weren't working. No inspection label was present on it either as I thought was required by state law? I have slept in a tent on campgrounds that were more sanitary than this place. The only thing that kept me there was that it was pet-friendly with reasonable charges, but needless to say, I will NOT be back! And oh, as for one of the manager's replies using "staying full" as an excuse for lack of desperately needed renovations....baloney!!! This place is falling apart for the mere fact of negligence! Also....on the south unit.....second floor, second room from right facing the pool.....there's a huge chunk of concrete hanging from the balcony above....only attached by strip of plaster! I hope this get repaired before someone suffers a head injury! If you're staying full, then it means you have the funds to reinvest back into your property. Very poor management of a prime piece of real estate!

Room Tip: Choose another place!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank beachdogs66
Hubert, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

Recently, my husband and I went to Myrtle Beach for the first time to visit some family on vacation. We chose Bar Harbor because our dog would be accommodated for a reasonable price, the website reviews were good, and the rate was very friendly considering we would only be there to sleep. Unfortunately, I didn't check Trip Advisor reviews before booking our stay at this motel. The elevator smelled like a combination of dirty socks and wet dog. The floors were filthy, especially within corners and crevasses. I didn't feel comfortable walking around without my shoes on, and felt even worse for our dog who had to sleep on the floor. I was surprised to see a stackable washer/dryer in the queen suite, but the hoses and wall hook ups were covered in several years worth of dust. The frig had rust stains all over it. I didn't even bother opening it based on the exterior appearance. The bathroom wasn't the best with stains on the walls, but the toilet and shower were clean. If it hadn't been so late when we checked in and were more familiar with the area, we definitely would have gone searching for another place to stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ali N
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel with my family, and not only was the room filthy and nasty, it smelled like urine, wet dog, and mold. The elevator was extremely wet inside, and we were told that we really shouldn't use it since it was raining. We calmly used the stairs and immediately asked for and got a refund. My family and I will never stay at this place ever again, and I will let my friends know also.

• Stayed August 2012