“One of the nastiest, run down places I have ever stayed in”

Bar Harbor Motor Inn
Ranked #157 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Marion, North Carolina
“One of the nastiest, run down places I have ever stayed in”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

We just returned from Bar Harbor after a 6 day stay. Although we enjoyed a much needed vacation, I must say that this place was a huge disappointment. I read some of the other negative reviews and I too saw some of the same issues. The carpet was nasty and should have been replaced 10+ yrs ago. The bathroom door and wall had holes that appeared to be from someone's fist. The private balcony had huge roaches over an inch long especially at night. I too didn't want to walk on the carpeting without socks on. The housekeeping staff are lazy and needs to all be fired, to say the least. All I saw them do was stay on break most of the time gathering down on the lower level. The corners and crevices have the same dirt and filth that has been there for years. The elevator was always smelly and most of the lights weren't working. No inspection label was present on it either as I thought was required by state law? I have slept in a tent on campgrounds that were more sanitary than this place. The only thing that kept me there was that it was pet-friendly with reasonable charges, but needless to say, I will NOT be back! And oh, as for one of the manager's replies using "staying full" as an excuse for lack of desperately needed renovations....baloney!!! This place is falling apart for the mere fact of negligence! Also....on the south unit.....second floor, second room from right facing the pool.....there's a huge chunk of concrete hanging from the balcony above....only attached by strip of plaster! I hope this get repaired before someone suffers a head injury! If you're staying full, then it means you have the funds to reinvest back into your property. Very poor management of a prime piece of real estate!

Room Tip: Choose another place!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank beachdogs66

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Hubert, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

Recently, my husband and I went to Myrtle Beach for the first time to visit some family on vacation. We chose Bar Harbor because our dog would be accommodated for a reasonable price, the website reviews were good, and the rate was very friendly considering we would only be there to sleep. Unfortunately, I didn't check Trip Advisor reviews before booking our stay at this motel. The elevator smelled like a combination of dirty socks and wet dog. The floors were filthy, especially within corners and crevasses. I didn't feel comfortable walking around without my shoes on, and felt even worse for our dog who had to sleep on the floor. I was surprised to see a stackable washer/dryer in the queen suite, but the hoses and wall hook ups were covered in several years worth of dust. The frig had rust stains all over it. I didn't even bother opening it based on the exterior appearance. The bathroom wasn't the best with stains on the walls, but the toilet and shower were clean. If it hadn't been so late when we checked in and were more familiar with the area, we definitely would have gone searching for another place to stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ali N

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel with my family, and not only was the room filthy and nasty, it smelled like urine, wet dog, and mold. The elevator was extremely wet inside, and we were told that we really shouldn't use it since it was raining. We calmly used the stairs and immediately asked for and got a refund. My family and I will never stay at this place ever again, and I will let my friends know also.

• Stayed August 2012
Anderson
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

My family stayed at this hotel recently. I was so disappointed!!!! The carpet was not only dirty it was NASTY! If you did not put on shoes when you exited the shower, your feet would be dirty before you could get to the bed. I am a dog owner but finding dried dog poop under the bed was to say the least, disgusting! There were roaches running all over and all the furnishing were dirty. We will never stay here again and I will tell all my friends not to spend their had earned money there either.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
BarHarborMB, Manager at Bar Harbor Motor Inn, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
We do apologize that you had such a bad experience. Although we do not enjoy negative reviews, they do help us strive to improve our customers' experience.

We apologize about the carpeting as we have been planning to get them all cleaned or replaced as needed as soon as we can. It is difficult to do so when you are nearly full everyday.

As for the "dried dog poop", it turns out that it was merely a sand rock from the beach that was missed by the housekeeper. We do apologize in this error and have spoken with the housekeepers to avoid this in the future.
Gainesville, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

We chose this hotel because of its oceanfront location and its signage that it was pet friendly. It was an exceptional value - large room with two beds and a kitchenette. Everything was very clean, it was quiet, and the staff was friendly and courteous. We will be back!

Room Tip: Higher floors have a great view of the 2nd Avenue pier.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
BarHarborMB, Manager at Bar Harbor Motor Inn, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
We appreciate your stay and look forward to seeing you again!
Burlington, NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

My husband booked this hotel for our short family trip to the beach and when I looked at the reviews more closely, I was afraid of what we were getting into with the complaints about cleanliness and bugs, etcetera. However, when we checked in, the staff was very courteous and helpful. We got up to our room, a king oceanview suite and while it was definitely an older hotel and in need of some renovation and repair, it was clean and comfortable. The toilet in our room (206) wasn't seated correctly and wobbled when sat on. The water temperature ran very hot and the pressure was low but we didn't have any major problems. I can't speak for housekeeping as we declined housekeeping service each day (we were only there three days). So, if you are looking for a budget hotel with no frills, this is your place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
BarHarborMB, Manager at Bar Harbor Motor Inn, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
We appreciate you giving us a chance. We are aware of the issues and working diligently to resolve them.

We do apologize about the commode moving, we have taken care of that. As for the water pressure, occasionally the shower head inserts clog and lowers the pressure. We can have that fixed quickly.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future!
Clayton, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

Honestly this is hands down the worst place I have stayed. I got out of the shower and walked from one part of the room to the other and the bottom of my feet were black. Stains on the couch were questionable and i wouldn't even let me dogs get on it. There was a dirty Qtip on the side of the entertainment center....dirty dirty dirty place! The guy at the front desk was a rude and the staff was shady. I would have asked for my money back if I didn't have my dogs with me. I was afraid we wouldn't be able to find another place on such short notice. The only positive thing I can say is I really liked the location. I'm not a picky person by any means and even though the place was a little older and needed renovating I was ok with that. Things not being clean , that's a big problem for me. They charge you a service fee for cleaning so where does that money go..sure isn't used to actually clean the rooms. My 5 year old nephew would have done a better job than that.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Angie D
BarHarborMB, Manager at Bar Harbor Motor Inn, responded to this review, September 9, 2012
We do apologize for the inconveinence. We did receive your email and we are working on attending to those matters.