“A great winter retreat with easy access to the beach.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Summer Wind Inn & Suites

Summer Wind Inn & Suites
Ranked #185 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
New Brunswick
“A great winter retreat with easy access to the beach.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2007

We spent February and March at the Summer Winds and had a wonderful experience. This is the third year that we have vacationed there. If you are looking for a five-star hotel, this is not the place for you...However, if you are looking for a nice place to stay at a very reasonable price, you can not beat the Summer Winds. The rooms we have had have been clean and comfortable. Wiireless Internet Access was certainly a plus this year.

I have read several of the negitive reviews and can say that our experience has certainly not been like what they have expressed.

Under new management effective two years ago, up-grades are being made. When we returned in February, we were very pleased to find many positive changes. There had been a change in staffing and Chery and Mike, a young married couple, had been hired to head the Housekeeping and Maintenance Departments. They did an excellent job and our accommodations were very neat and clean. Any requests that we made were handled in a timely fashion and always with a smile and some plesant conversation.

While we were there, the swimming pool, hot tub and deck areas were totally refurbished. We also noticed rooms that were vacant being totally redone. Being a talker, I always stopped by to say hello and was greated with a smile and was never made to feel that I was bothering them. This gave me the opportunity to see the good job they were doing. The fixtures in the bathrooms were older and certainly showed wear, but I found them to be clean. Anyone renting those rooms should have been very happy.

We found the office staff to be very pleasant and accommodating.

We are booked for next winter and will continue to make the
Summer Winds our home while vacationing in Myrtle Beach.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Canadian_Snowbirds

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
CT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2007

We have spent Jan & Feb at Myrtle Beach for three years--staying in a different place each time. We like the smaller places where we can get to know our neighbors. Summer Wind, by far, has the most friendly, competent and caring staff. Gail at the front desk attends to every request promptly. And the new cleaning and maintenance staff is dedicated to keeping the customers happy. Snowbirds with dogs have limited choice on the ocean, but Summer Wind seems to have all of the amenities that we were seeking --pet friendly, private balcony on the oceanfront to view the sunrises, exceedingly comfortable Serta mattresses for a good night's sleep, large screen TV, couch, full kitchen, elevator and best of all---very reasonable rates. For a couple who prefer not to pay for the extra frills of lazy rivers and indoor hot tubs, it doesn't get much better for us. We enjoyed our stay and we're booked again for next year.

• Liked — Access to Beach, nice public sitting area
  • Disliked — Uneven hot water pressure
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2006

When you are looking for a great place to stay in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina (at any time of year), please do not cross over the "Summer Wind Inn & Suites" at 19th Avenue, South. It is an awesome place.; with homemade Belgian Waffles every morning and the utmost courtesy from the Motel and staff, how can you say "no" to staying there? Small pets are allowed and it is an awesome feeling to have your beloved pet with you in Myrtle Beach, SC. If you want low decent prices, to be treated like royalty, and enjoy the beach the way you should in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. you must stay at the family oriented "Summer Wind Inn & Suites" for the proper beach experience, you are mainly there for the beach, right? We've been going there for years and we will continue staying there and nowhere else. "There's No Place Like Home" and you certainly feel like you are at home at the Summer Wind Inn & Suites. When you call, ask for "Gail", she is the best!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank barnyardsiii
Lake Charles LA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2006

After locating this hotel online, I called them and asked questions to make sure that they had a clean hotel, laundry facilities, ocean views, an elevator, and enough beds in the room. The staff assured me they had all of those things. I even read other reviews and finding only a few negative ones, decided to book five nights for a family of five. Oh how I wish I had followed the advice from the negative reviews. This is not a place to stay with your family if you value a clean room, bathroom, security, and a decent bed. The towels were clean and looked new but the place is a dump. They do indeed have an elevator but it does not work. The pictures on their website are not what the place actually looks like. There was mold in the air conditioner vents, the wall above the A/C was dark and the sheet rock was bubbled up and flaking off. Yes the staff was friendly and supplied us with clean towels and sheets. However, the bathroom was worse than a roadside convenience store. We bought $20 worth of cleaning supplies and I spent the first hour of our vacation cleaning the bathroom. The small kitchenette was covered in grease and we didn't use any of the utensils or dishes the entire time we were there. The waffles, you made yourself, in the "lobby" were good but I would rather have bought breakfast eleswhere in order to have a decent room. We found out after we got there that they allowed dogs in the rooms. I am a dog lover and have 4 of my own. However, almost every guest at the hotel had two dogs with them. I can't imagine that they clean well after a dog's stay if they don't clean well after a person stays there. My kids had to wear their flip flops in the room because the carpet was so disgusting. The door to the balcony did not lock. That is a little scary. We could see the ocean as soon as we woke up and that was a beautiful sight. The reason we could see it so easily is because we couldn't close the curtains because they were filthy and smelled like cigarette smoke and the A/C would blow behind them and the room would smell even worse. We spoke with other guests there and their rooms were in the same dismal condition. I don't know about you but we only go on one big vacation each summer and this was the worst place we have ever stayed. I did get some of my money back but that place left a bad taste in my mouth. We will not go back to South Carolina again even though there is much to see and do there. We drove from Louisiana and had anticipated the trip for a long time. We survived Hurricane Rita in better conditions than this place. I wish I had taken pictures of this place so people could see how run down and filthy it really is.
I have to wonder at some of the favorable reviews- did those people stay at the same hotel we stayed? The manager said they renovated the hotel 4 years ago. Apparently the renovation can be looslely defined as adding new towels and maybe a fresh coat of paint.
Pamela Dupre'
Lake Charles, LA

• Liked — clean towels
  • Disliked — filthy bathroom
  • Tips/Secrets — stay at a well known chain
1 Thank LAtravelergirl

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2006

We had a wonderful vacation in Myrtle Beach while staying at The Summer Wind Motel. Our experience was surely an enjoyable one.

We had clean linens,clean room,clean pool and a very friendly and efficient staff.The breakfast was great also.

For the very reasonable rate (right on the beach) we were very happy our friends had recommended The Summer Wind to us and we would certaintly do the same for anyone else.

Stayed June 2006
1 Thank megagrandchild
Kentucky
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2006

We arrived on July 19th and I spent the rest of the day and all morning on the 20th looking for another place to stay. I went to Chamber of Commerce to try to get help. Nothing was available for more than 1-2 days so we stayed 4 nites instead of the 6 we had planned. They refunded my money for the other 2 nites without question. I was ready to sit in front of the office and tell all that entered what they were getting into!!!!! Carpet was soaked around the air conditioner with a fan blowing on it, shower was hot then cold, lamp shades had so much dust I took them off myself and put them in the hallway, stove was covered with grease, sand from the beach was all over the dresser and the balcony had cigarette butts from the previous guest still there. Ice machine didnt work for 2 days and they only have one. We didnt get clean towels until almost 5pm one day and that was after 3 phone calls. The list goes on and on. Please.....do not make the mistake we did. I cried all morning on our second day and would have headed home but we live 500 miles away and had 2 teenagers that wanted to stay. Someone needs to buy this place and clean it up and remodel it . They are just making money every day and putting nothing back.

• Liked — Gail at the front desk.......Its a shame she is so nice and has such a terrible place to work!
  • Disliked — Dirty room!!!!
  • Tips/Secrets — ????Dont stay someplace you are not familiar with or know some that has stayed there.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
mooresville
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2006

My family and I stayed at Summer Wind Inn & Suites in 2004 and it was a great deal for the money. We returned in July of 2006 to find the place so filthy I was afraid to touch anything. The service was also very bad and the air conditioning required maintenance on a daily basis.

Problems:

Upon check-in, the floor of the room had not been vaccumed and we questioned if the sheets had been changed.

The bathroom (counter, shower/tub, and toilet) had not been cleaned. One of the other guests commented that a case of Tylex probably wouldn't take care of it.

The floor was so dirty that when I dabbed the floor to get up a few drops of water, the papertowel was black. It could not have been mopped in months.

The kitchen and refrigerator would horrific. Dirty utensils in the drawers, hairs in the refrigerator and freezer. Everything was sticky and dusty. Could not have been cleaned in months.

Towels - where are they? I had to retrieve my own towels almost everyday and couldn't get them until late in the afternoon (4:00 to 5:00 PM). The one day, they actually brought towels, they did not leave enough for each guest in the room. In addition, they did not take the dirty ones or take out the trash.

Air conditioning - Gave out everyday and it would take hours to have the problem resolved. It actually felt better outside than in the room. The temperture during our stay was in the high 90's.

Everyone around us complained of the same problems so it wasn't just our room.

Pool - Dirty around the deck. Water not very clear.

Pets - They now accept small pets which we were not told before checking in. Beware if you have allergies.

I don't expect perfection at an oceanfront property. They are going to show the wear and tear from the sand and ocean air; however, I do expect them to be clean. My feet shouldn't be black when I walk across the floor. I shouldn't wonder if the towel I'm drying with was actually washed. My family and I will not return to this hotel.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything - filthy
  • Tips/Secrets — Do not stay at Summer Wind Inn & Suites.
1 Thank lukasc1