“A great Place to stay”

Ranked #185 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Stephens City, Virginia
“A great Place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

I want to say I think Summer wind is a great place for the dollar if any one has had a problem with this place come back give them a second chance Tim and Chris do a great job with all the staff you will love it I always stay at Summer Wind Paul.

Room Tip: all rooms are nice room 415 is great.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Paul W
1903Oceanfront, Manager at Summer Wind Inn & Suites, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Paul W,
Thank you for staying at Summer Wind Inn & Suites and for taking the time to write a review about your experience. We appreciated you noting that positive changes have been made, and we would appreciate the opportunity to welcome back former guests. We are fortunate to have a good team at the hotel, and it is always gratifying for the team members to be positively recognized. We hope that you will visit again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
York, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

I just stayed there recently and found it enjoyable. I was pleased with the pleasant staff that helped make my stay pleasurable. Not the Hilton but very clean and well kept. I am a repeat guest and it was much improved from the last time. The rooms were upgraded and very clean. The staff was very helpful and nice. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear LMR231,
Thank you for returning to Summer Wind Inn & Suites. We appreciated the opportunity to earn your business, and thank you for noting the positive changes that have been made. We hope that you will return again soon.
Middletown
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

We paid 49.00 a night which we stayed 2 nights.The room was clean,not fancy but we loved the Patio.The first night we were there we saw a roach,We sit all of our stuff on the Patio, but brought them back inside when we didnt see any more.They had sprayed and maybe 1 got away.It was nice and I would stay there again

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1903Oceanfront, Manager at Summer Wind Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear 212cooper4,
Thank you for staying at Summer Wind Inn & Suites, and for writing a review. We appreciated the opportunity to earn your business. As you noted, Summer Wind is not the newest or the fanciest motel on the oceanfront. Thank you for noting that your room was clean and comfortable. We apologize that you saw an insect in your room. As with any commercial building, pest elimination is outsourced and is provided by a leading extermination company. Thank you for noting that the building's pest maintenance was recently performed. We hope that you will return to the beautiful Grand Strand soon, and that you will come back to Summer Wind.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

I was worried when I read all the reviews about roaches - but I haven't seen a single one since I've been here. There is nothing fancy about this hotel - but the rooms are decently clean and the price is cheap. I would suggest to anyone traveling on a budget. I was disappointed that the hot tub was out of order and way too small!

• Stayed April 2013
MainstaySC054, Manager at Summer Wind Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Cd65023,
Thank you for staying at Summer Wind Inn & Suites, and for taking the time to write an honest review of your experience. While we do not claim to be the newest property on the oceanfront, the new management team strives to make sure that the guestrooms are clean and comfortable. Your review is a good reminder that we should let folks know that we offer comfortable, oceanfront lodging that is ideal for guests who are traveling on a budget. We hope that you will return again soon.
Kingston, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

As I read the reviews for this motel, it brings back memories from 5 years ago. We stayed here 5 years ago for 4 nights and it was a terrible experience. This place is plain and simply A DUMP!! It looks as if nothing has changed in the five years that have passed. I'm surprised to see that it remains open.
When we stayed there, the windows were so dirty that we bought some windex and cleaned it ourselves so that we could see the ocean view. We were scalded or froze in the shower as it was difficult to regulate the temperature, the toilet paper holder was attached to the wall 6 inches from the floor, the sheets on the beds were old and very thin. The pool was out of commission for our whole visit. At that same time they were advertising that the rooms were newly renovated, NOT! That was our first visit to Myrtle Beach and because we had prepaid for the room, we could not get a refund, wish we had known about tripadvisor back then, it would have saved us from this place.
The only nice thing about this place is the beautiful ocean view. Good thing that there are much better places to stay in Myrtle Beach and THANK YOU TRIPADVISOR for your website! Travellers BEWARE and read the reviews!

• Stayed March 2013
MainstaySC054, Manager at Summer Wind Inn & Suites, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Canadathebeautiful.
Regrettably, we cannot address what you experienced at Summer Wind Inn & Suites five years ago. As you know, a lot can change in five years time. Our management company assumed the operation of the hotel just this year, and began a renovation project. Since you posted a review without having stayed with us recently,we would like to invite you to stop by to see our progress. We do not profess to be the newest hotel on the oceanfront, however, the new management and staff take pride in providing clean accommodations and friendly, helpful guest service. Hope that you will stop by when you are in the beautiful Grand Strand area.

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Proctorville
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

I just returned from what I can say was the worst place I have ever stayed at in 40yrs of traveling.
I made my reservation a couple of months ago at the published rate of $57.00 per night for 5 nights sunday thru thursday. After making my reservation I saw on the site that there was a special rate for sunday thru thursday stays. I called back and got a $7.00 a night reduction. Before leaving I called to check the rates and was told that the rate was $40 per night. I told her I had already booked a room and was being charged $50 per night. She reduced my rate to $45.00.

On my way to myrtle beach my cell phone rang and the front desk clerk called to let me know that my key and parking pass would be under the flower pot in front of the office since the office closes at 4pm during off season.

When I arrived my key was there and I proceeded to check in. Upon checking in I found out that the bathroom sink was plugged up and would not drain and the front door was almost impossible to lock because the deadbolt sticks and you are virtually trapped in the room and no one in the office. I finally got the door open and could not lock it for fear of not being able to get out. Then I saw 2 roaches in the bathroom.

I went to the office at 10am as posted on the door but no one there. They finally opened up at 11am and I preceeded to check in and advised of the problems I was having. While I was checking in a person came in and got a rate quote of $35 per night for the same room that I had booked. That's $10 a night less than I was getting and I paid 1 nights deposit 2 months ago in advance. I requested a rate adjustment and also a rate adjustment for the continental breakfast that was advertised on their web site. I was told that she would speak to management and advise.

In the meantime that afternoon they sent a maintenance man to work on the sink and door. He was unable to unclog the sink and helped the door a little.

The next morning I went back to the office and the clerk said that the continental breakfast had been taken from the site ( I personally saw it on the site that morning) it's gone now. The clerk stated that the only thing she could do was upgrade me to a kitchenette. I asked to speak to the manager and she stated that she could not do that.

The next day in the afternoon a plumber came and unclogged the sink and another maintenance man came and fixed the door. The door worked fine until the keys quit working and we could not leave the room again because you have to use the key card to lock and unlock the door and it was after 4pm and no one in office.

I told my girlfriend that I have had it with this place, after killing a couple more roaches. I decided to leave a day early. They have a no refund policy for early departures too.

Room Tip: Please check reviews before booking
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Dennis W
Manager1903, Manager at Summer Wind Inn & Suites, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Please Read,
I apologize for the room condition issues that occurred during your stay at Summer Wind Inn & Suites. In January '2013, Summer Wind contracted with a hotel management company to assume the operation of the motel. While this does not correct the issues that you encountered when you stayed back in November, I wanted to personally apologize to you. A room renovation began in February. The furniture, mattresses and worn carpeting were replaced in the oceanfront rooms. While the motel is not new, the staff and new management team are committed to cleanliness and excellent guest service. In addition to guestroom renovations, the new management company has contracted with a national leading company in commercial pest and extermination services. Again, I apologize for your past stay.
Church Hill, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

These people are scammers they know how to get around the red tape once you have made reservations with them. Got there and there was food in the fridge that was left from the people that had stayed there prior to me, sheets were dirty, door to balcony would not close, plunger sitting next to the commode (what does this tell you),and the worst part was the ROACHES crawling down the wall during the day (imagine what it would be after dark). I did not stay there, did not know what I would end up catching from the filth. The management (Stacy) will lie to you just to get you to pay up. I would like to say thanks Stacy for an expensived but well learned lesson. Summer Wind Inns and Suites and Summer Wind Motel is the same even though when you talk to them for a reservation and tell them you saw bad reviews they tell you that the reviews are for Summer Wind Motel and that they somehow got on their website but dont believe it because it is just another of their lies. Would not recommend this place to anyone or anything except for a roach fighting contest. Just called motel and seems Stacy may not be working there now but still beware it is the same dirty roach infested lying people that know how to scam you out of your money If you tell them you are going to report them to the Better Business Bureau they they say that you are threatening them. When the clerk (Chris) was asked if she would stay in one of their rooms her comment was "I am not going to answer that" (so you know that meant she would not).Make sure that if you are interested in this motel that you read all the review because it is actually worse that the reviews say it is.These people are just out for your money because I was at their roach infested motel less than 30 minutes and they refuse to refund my money even though I never unloaded by bags off the cart before the Roaches started crawling.
I WOULD NOT EVEN LET MY DOGS STAY THERE!!!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple