“Pleasently Surprised”

Ranked #187 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Waxhaw, North Carolina
“Pleasently Surprised”
Reviewed September 8, 2011

After reading the positve and negative revues about a Summer Wind, I decided to make a reservation. I tried to curb my expectations because I was just looking to enjoy the beach for a couple of days and have somewhere to shower and sleep. When I called Stacy to book my room, she was very helpful. She also understood that I may have to cancel because of an elderly family member. As I would be ariving the evening of Labor Day, I received a call on my way down, letting me know what to do in case I arrived after the office had closed. I got there in time and Chris (I think) checked me in. With great anticipation, I open the door to my ocean front efficiency. Not the Ritz Carlton, but a nice, clean room. Sure there is some wear from a long season but more than acceptable for the price I paid.

Access to the beach was easy and the view from the fourth floor was great. This is a pet friendly motel but there were no issues at all. Waffles in the morning were quick and easy. Cleaning staff was very helpful and accomidating. I did not use the spa or the pool but they both looked well maintained. The location is perfect! Far enough away the hustle and bustle but close enough.

I will stay at A Summer Wind again and the next hopefully my wife will be able to join me.

Thanks again for a great trip.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
6 Thank Steve M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Beckley, West Virginia
Reviewed September 8, 2011

This is a horrible hotel we booked oceanfront with two double beds and a sleeper sofa but we got a no view room with two double beds. Even though they charged for oceanfront rates they still argued they were right in how they booked our room. We couldn't even get enough towel and wash cloths for our room their excuse was is they just did not have enough for everyone in the motel instead of buying more to accomodate all of their guests. So I recommend vrbo.com or staying at the Sand Dunes because we checked out those places and had a very enjoyable vacation but with this hotel we were miserable our whole stay.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank JessicaScarbro08

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Fayetteville, North Carolina
Reviewed September 5, 2011

The rooms are decent and thats to say the very most about it. They do except dogs but while that was a plus for me who had a dog, for others listening to big dogs bark in the morning is no picnic at the beach im sure. The PARKING IS HORRRRRRRRIBLE!!! I actually got into an accident. I was trying to back out of the tiny parking spaces and hit the truck beside me!!!! every space was a tight squeeze unless you had a two seat car or BIKE! The place is run down but I was prepared for that, I wasnt however prepared for the ghetto looking trashy people I was surrounded by during my stay. I shouldve known, best believe-----YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!!

Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Franny83
Hamlet NC
Reviewed August 13, 2011

I would not recommend noone to stay in this Motel because it needs a overhaul because the carpet was very nasty the beds had dirty linen and the refreigator was not working, and there were black mold on the sealing on it the door to the balcony was broke my husband and daughter was very sick and my daughter still is we even wwent to the office three days straight they told us that it was on the list to be fixed. We were not pleased with this place at all not for the price we expected i even called the Wednesday before and the lady said the rooms were very spotless. she lied. So please dont waist your time there it is not worth it. i promise .

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank tmalloy52
Stokesdale, North Carolina
Reviewed August 7, 2011

This was a last minute trip for my family & myself. Chris was a big help on the phone. Then at check in Stacey was wonderful. The hotel was very clean & very welcoming. The staff was very helpful with the things that we needed taken care of. The maintenance man even came down & programed the new remote for the TV, as the original one for the room couldn't be found. This is a great place to stay for anybody.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank clc22blue
Lugoff
Reviewed July 18, 2011

Just returned from a weekend trip to Myrtle Beach. Stayed at A Summer Wind Motel. We knew this was an older motel and had read the mixed reviews and knew they allowed pets but since it was only for a couple of nights and the rates were great for this time of year decided we would try it anyway. We never stay at any of the really expensive motels. The lady at check-in was wonderful. Very pleasant and said to let her know if we needed anything. We found the room to be pretty clean except for black hairs on the toilet and sink. And food had been left in the frig and not removed when the room was supposedly cleaned. That night when I turned down the sheets I noticed little black insects stuck to the sheets. I picked one up and rubbed my hand over the bottom sheet and found it was full of sand and several dead fleas. I have had several dogs and know what fleas look like. I checked the other bed and it had sand and black hairs on the sheets. My husband immediately called the office but at 1:00 am no one answered the phone. Fortunately I had brought an extra sheet and used it. The following morning when the maid came in I told her what I had found and she asked if I wanted her to service the room. I told her we needed the sheets changed and an extra roll of toilet paper since we only had half a roll in the room when we arrived. Sheets were changed about 2 hours later. Never got the toilet paper. When checking out a different lady met me before I got in the office and asked if I was checking out and took my room card. I told her about finding the sand and dead fleas in the beds and she informed me that they did not have fleas. I told her I was making the point that there was no way the sheets could have been changed before our arrival and that the fleas came from somewhere. She walked off and said, "Whatever." She could have at least apologized. I will be writing a letter to management. Never, ever again will I stay at A Summer Wind Motel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LugoffBeachBum
ohio
Reviewed June 26, 2011

We had made reservations in May 2011 for June. We drove 600 miles to get to this hotel, and when we got here they told us they didnt have a room for us. We have a dog that we brought, and alot of hotels down there dont allow pets so it made it harder to find a hotel. We had a confirmation paper, the credit card we reserved it with and they still told us there wasnt a room for us and they were booked all week. We drove by every day to go to our sisters hotel, and everyday there was vacancy. This hotel is not one I'd reccoment if you have pets and a reservation.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family