“GREAT VACATION”

Ocean Forest Plaza
kernersville, nc
“GREAT VACATION”
Reviewed August 21, 2008

After reading the other reviews, I was so scared about what I would find at this property, But we were so very happy. The staff was exceptional, from the front desk to housekeeping, everyone went out of there way our entire stay. Our room was very clean and roomy with a great view. I loved the size of our shower and great water pressure. It was a great location, the beach was never crowded. We found all of the amenties to be very adequate. The parking garage is very tight, we drive a honda odyssey and my husband didnt seem to have any problems, you have to take your time. We were having such a wonderful time we extended our vacation. And we will definately be returning!

• Liked — great view
  • Disliked — no lazy river
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank kvillenc

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Albany, NY
Reviewed August 17, 2008

We just returned home from a week at the Ocean Foret Plaza. We booked our stay through our membership in Global Connections, and after reading many of the reviews, we were a little apprehensive. We were actually pleasantly surprised after seeing our room on the 16th floor. We found it clean, with most everything we needed. The washer and dryer in the suite proved to be quite an extra. We were there in August, so you would expect to wait a little for the elevators no matter where you are staying at a resort location, but we honestly never had to wait more than a minute. We drove a large SUV, so we parked in the oversized lot on site, so we never had any parking issues. The only time it was full, we were able to find on street parking with no problem at all. The only disappointing thing was that the restaurant on the 7th floor was closed, and had been since February. The security guard on site said that it would most likely never re-open because it didn't do enough business. There was no poolside bar and grille. Overall, we had a very pleasant stay and will look to return next year!

• Liked — in-room washer and dryer
  • Disliked — restaurant and poolside bar closed during peak season
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Virginia
Reviewed July 29, 2008

Stayed here for 4 nights in a one bedroom oceanfront and paid about $100 a night through the owner. The condo itself was very nice but the condo floor did need a good scrubbing. I did like the idea of the bathroom with doors to the hallway and the bedroom. Plus, there was a vanity with a sink in the bedroom too. If you have an oceanfront room it is best to be up as high as possible since there is a 3 story building in front of Ocean Plaza on the oceanside. You could be staring straight into that building and only seeing the ocean looking left or right. It is across the street from the ocean but not at all far or hard to cross the road. I was very disappointed that the cafe, lounge and pool bar were all closed. The desk said they had no idea of when they would open again. The pool looked just fine but I never used it. No kiddie pool for your little ones. I would only stay here again if I got a very good price since it is for the room only and no other amenities right now.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Rochester, New York
Reviewed July 20, 2008

I've just got back from vacation from Myrtle beach and I am very disappointed with the service there. We booked a package including breakfast buffet every morning. We were not told at the time of the booking that we would have to travel 2 miles each way to another location to get the breakfast. There was a cafe on site, but as a service clerk noted it was "temporarily" closed. Not something we'd expected from a resort we paid well over a $150 per night. Parking there was a nightmare as well, parking spots were very narrow and hard to get to, we could barely fit our small SUV there. Our suite was pretty clean, with the patio overlooking the ocean. We had to cross the street to get to the beach, which was ok.

There was 2 pools, indoor and outdoor. We were told there was an Internet service in the lobby, but it's hard to get. Or we could get a paid Internet for $20 a week. A glossy brochure at least 15 years old also mentioned a pool bar and steaming room, nowhere to be found. They did have a hot tub, which was extremely hot and sauna.

When I complained to the general manager about our inconvenience, he said it it was out of his hands and he couldn't help us. He stated the property was a condo managed by the resort and he couldn't do anything about it. He suggested I fill out a guest review form and bring it back to him so he can give it to the corporate. I thought it was interesting.

At the time when the tourism is down, we were pretty amazed with the way the management handled our complaint.

We saw vacancies at all the resorts and hotels on the trip and all of them were offering breakfast on site, and in some it was free. I feel I got a very poor service for the money I paid to stay there. I wouldn't recommend to anyone to stay there if you like to have a good vacation. Right now I would suggest instead of booking in advance, just go there. You'll be able to find a good deal and see what you are getting into.

• Liked — close to the beach
  • Disliked — terrible service
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bluepanther
quebec st-jerome
Reviewed March 26, 2008

When we first arrived on march 1st for our one month stay, we asked the front desk attendant to visit our condo before moving our entire luggage, especialy since when we make the reservation by internet back october, we had specifically requested a newly renovated-clean condo.

Bad news ! Not renovated and very dirty. We went bach to the front desk when the same rude attendant informed us it would be impossible to offer us another unit.

We had definitely started on the wrong foot our month long vacation. The patio door was filthy and we had to clean it ourselves. The frying pan was so dirty ; it would have been hazardous to our health to use it and asked for another one ,which also came dirty.We finally bought one out of our own pocket.

AS FOR THE CERAMIC TILES ; at first we tought they were the color we saw but when we had to scrub a stain neer the counter we realized the tiles were in fact white and simply covered with years of accumulated filth.At that point, we DEMANDED to change condo but sadly had to accept an ocean view unit even though we had paid for an ocean front one . OH . and they do charge you CLEANING FEES of $ 75.00 when you leave .....Well that money certainly does NOT go towards cleaning !

One last thing,the parking lot is completely inadequate for todays vehicules. i have never seen in my life such a badly designed level. MY ADVICE TO ALL ; STAY AWAY TO OCEAN FOREST PLAZA.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank moustache27
N. Augusta, SC
Reviewed March 13, 2008

My husband and I stayed there for the first time last June. We were very happy with the accomodations. We had a one bedroom suite and the only thing I did not like was the kitchen. It was almost non-exsistent! It consisted of a normal refridgerator, but the stove was very narrow and you could only put 2 pots at a time on it. The dishwasher was also very narrow and didn't accomodate many dishes. I had to run it after every meal we ate there. All in all though, we really enjoyed ourselves and are planning to stay there again this June. The suite itself was very clean all of the furnishings and carpet looked clean.The parking lot is soooooo narrow that it is almost scary to drive in. We have an SUV and had a real problem parking there. They do have a lot for larger vehicles but it is small and doesn't have enough spaces. There is some street parking but again not much of that. All in all for the money I would recommend this hotel to my friends, although I might tell them to drive the compact!

• Liked — the location and the beach
  • Disliked — the parking garage and lot
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family