“Not a Good Choice!”
Review of Ocean Forest Plaza

Ocean Forest Plaza
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I recently visited Myrtle Beach, SC for the first visit to the Beach I've been able to afford in three years. I booked my room through an online website thinking I was booking a regular hotel room. I did not realize that this was listed as a hotel room when, in fact, it was an unused vacation condo. I was instructed to pick up my keys at a different location than my "hotel" and I paid in full for my booking through the online website. I checked carefully for any "fine print" but there was none. My receipt clearly says I had paid all taxes, fees and charges in full.
You can imagine my surprise when I show up at the address and it is not the hotel but the office of Palmetto Vacation Rentals. I went into the office as instructed (they close at 5:00 pm but I was not informed of this in advance - it is just happy chance that I showed up before 5:00 pm or I wouldn't have been able to get my keys), showed my id and the receipt from my online booking ($113.42) and was told that I could not get my room keys until I had paid an additional $120.00! They said it was a "cleaning fee". They assured me that this was a normal charge when booked through "leisure living". I don't know who "leisure living" is but apparently the website I booked the room through was listing rooms for them in another name.

In any event, I produced the receipt and showed the staff that no such fee was indicated. I am on a very tight budget. I had picked the room based on a reasonable price. I found myself hundreds of miles from home and I felt as if this company was holding my room hostage for this fee (that was more than the total cost of the room btw). I felt I had no choice but to pay the fee which took all the available extra funds I had saved for this trip. It also started my trip out horribly! I felt mislead and ripped off - if I had known of this fee I would never have booked the room!

After paying the fees, because we had no choice but to pay or drive right back home, we moved on to our room in Ocean Forest Plaza. The hallway outside our room was near a trash chute and the hallway smelled horribly of trash! In addition, the first thing we found in our room was a roach!

To be fair, we only saw the one roach and the rest of the room was okay. There was a bag with some toilet paper, etc in it which was appreciated. The view was amazing. We had a nice two days but the entire time I was upset about how we were ripped off for this $120.00 fee.

All I ask is that a company treat me honestly. Had I missed the fine print I would have been upset but just felt stupid BUT THERE WAS NO FINE PRINT! My receipt said "ALL CHARGES AND FEES ARE PAID IN FULL". I would expect that an honest company would take a look at my receipt (which I had with me) and look at the listing on the website and waive the charge! If they had treated me in an honest and fair manner I would be shouting it to everyone to say what a great company they are! In fact, however, they did nothing of the sort! They made ZERO effort to make this right! They didn't offer me any sort of apology and were very rude to me at check in. I would caution ANYONE that books a "hotel room" through "leisure living" "ocean forest plaza" or "Palmetto Vacation Rentals" to be VERY careful because they do NOT honestly disclose their fees and will do NOTHING to make it right when you arrive. I still feel ripped off and mistreated. I made the best of a bad situation but from now on I won't book any hotel outside of a national chain! Beware Palmetto Vacation Rentals! (I did report them to the BBB and am hopeful that maybe they will be able to assist me in getting this company to make this right!)

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the 9th floor - it smells horribly of trash due to the trash chute at the en...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Samantha A
Sands R, Sands Digital Marketing at Ocean Forest Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

Thank you for your review, however this is a property owned by an individual and managed by Palmetto Vacation Rentals, not the Ocean Forest Plaza.

We have notified TripAdvisor and asked them to place this review on the appropriate owner's page.

We apologize you had this experience.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

We have stayed here almost everytime that we have visited in the past year... The condo is always nice and clean no complaints. The staff is really friendly.. The only that I would like to ask is have you all considered doing an indoor water park? That would make the stay even better when it gets colder outside. All in all great place to stay, reasonable price!!! I just left there on Sat. Sept 14, 2013!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank octavia m

Thank you for the review.

Happy to hear you have no complaints and we do hope you will visit again very soon.

As far as an indoor water park for colder days, we will pass this suggestion on.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

We arrived on a Thursday evening and had a fairly easy checking along with information about a water park that we could use at another Sands property. We received a call asking if we found the room ok. The room was ok for Myrtle Beach oceanfront. We had an oceanfront one bedroom suite. The decor was pastel 80's seaside as many are. The two beds being doubles are small for two adults in one bed and as with most hotels on this bed they were were hard. The next morning our granddaughter spilled her drink on one bed and we pulled the covers off to wash that evening. When we got back the covers were gone and others left and nothing else touched. Next day a sheet put on this bed, the other bed made. Later same day we returned again to all towels gone around 4. The clerk downstairs didn't know what to do and did not seem to care. After an hour another staff member got us towels. Parking lot is tight as some others at this beach. Don't expect luxury, understand every room is owned by different people. Be prepared for front desk people to be either very nice or rather ignorant as this seems the case. Security is the same with several showing an attitude of vanity and over importance .... Which most people in the field know escalates tensions instead of de-escalate as we witnessed outside with some young kids were being a bit annoying but not any reason for more than a simple kind request to move along and calm down.

Room Tip: I had room 2112. Average room for this beach.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank hjpoole

Thank you for your thorough review.

We apologize if any of our staff were rude as this is not acceptable practice at Sands.

Thank you for providing your room #. If you can supply us with your date of stay, we will look into this.

We hope you return to Ocean Forest Plaza or to one of our other Sands properties very soon.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

We were originally booked at one of the other sands resorts, ocean dunes in tower 2. It was a dumb and we requested a transfer, which took forever but finally got one in a much nicer room compared to the latter, the room was suitable and it was peaceful and fairly clean, needs updated majorly though. The beds were hard as a rock and one of the housekeepers helped themselves to some money my husband left on the table, they never brought us clean towels, except the 1st day when we called for them. Other than that we basically got what we paid for... It was peaceful and relaxing though. Next time, I think we will stay back at the Patricia Grand. That place is NICE!

• Stayed: August 2013

We apologize for the inconvenience this caused you during your vacation. You should not have to move room locations.

As far as the money being taken off the table, Sands Resorts does not tolerate theft and we do hope you brought this to the attention of the hotel manager.

If you will please provide us with your room # at the Plaza, we would like to look into this.

We hope you will return to one of our Sands Resorts during your next Myrtle Beach vacation

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Just came back from a 1 week stay at the Ocean Forest Plaza Condo Hotel. It was a very good place to stay at. The rooms were excellent and very clean. Nothing bad to report about the place. They have a restaurant with a fantastic view of the beach..The place has an inside pool and an outside pool. Also there is a whirlpool. They have an inside garage which was excellent to have especially when it rains.The place is just next to the beach. You just have to cross the road. The beach was excellent. Super clean. It's very quiet as it's in a residential area.. I would go back there anytime in the future.

Room Tip: The higher you are the better the view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your positive review.

We are so very happy you enjoyed your stay with us and we do hope you can return soon for another visit.

You can tell your family and friends you stayed on the "Golden Mile" in Myrtle Beach. You are right in saying this is a residential area and very quiet. Some folks call it "old Myrtle Beach." Away from the hustle and bustle but still within driving distance if you want to be in the middle of it all.

See you soon

Reviewed August 1, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel many times. I continue because the price is reasonable, in comparison to many others. The amenities are good and the front desk staff is overall pleasant. The hallways do indeed smell at times and I always make sure to Lysol down my room in its entirety. Getting towels and catching an elevator are the largest challenges. I always stay ocean front and I also enjoy the pool and spa area. I drive a large truck, so parking on the side of the building is a must. I will likely continue to stay, as Lysol is not that expensive.

Room Tip: ocean front and park on the side...also get your towels early in the day or you might not get them u...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank kisha w

Thank you for choosing Ocean Forest Plaza and thank you for your review.

We glad you are a frequent guest and we appreciate your loyalty. We apologize for any odor you are experiencing in the hallways and we WILL look into this.

We hope you return again very soon, we look forward to your visit.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

The price for the room was great! However the staff was very VERY unpleasant. All but one person I encountered with were very rude and extremely unhelpful. The view of the ocean was pretty good, but there was a small two-lane road you had to cross to get to the ocean. Overall, unless you let the rudeness of the staff get to you, you will have a nice and quiet stay at the Ocean Forest Plaza.

• Stayed: July 2013

We thank you for your review

We are glad your stay with us was good overall. It is NOT acceptable for the staff to act rude to our guests and we will definitely bring this to the attention of the hotel manager.

We apologize for this and hope this will not deter you from returning to Ocean Plaza