Message from TripAdvisor:

“VERY DISAPPOINTING”

Forest Dunes Resort
Ranked #41 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed September 24, 2011

I reserved a deluxe one bedroom oceanfront suite the third week of August. Talk about disappointing......first - the motel is not on the ocean side of the street - luckily my room was up high enough where I could have a nice view from the balcony. The first day we went out for the day - had the A/C on 72 - came back to our room and the temperature was 89. I was told that it was because of the vertical blinds in the living which weren't helping with the heat from the sun. Luckily the room had a box fan for our use - so if you enjoy listening to a fan all day and nite and keeping the blinds shut on your panoramic view - this wouldn't bother you. Also - went to take a shower and the shower curtain and tub were disgusting - mildew all over the shower curtain and dirt stains in the tub. Oh yeah - went to the grocery store to buy food - came back - nowhere to put anything in the cabinets because they were full of the owner's stuff. Mentioned to the lady when I checked out about how disappointed I was with the room being so hot and not on the ocean - don't think she really cared. They only have two elevators to serve people in over 180 rooms - very slow - so don't be in a hurry. WILL NEVER STAY HERE OR RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Diane M
ForestDunesMOD, Manager at Forest Dunes Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2011

Thank you for your constructive comments regarding your stay in August. While it appears you do not intend to return, you will always be welcomed back if you change your mind. Forest Dunes Resort offers exceptional value. While we are across the street from the beach we are considered Ocean Front since there are no buildings between us and the ocean. Guests tend to prefer our location because it is less crowded and the street is not busy. We are located in the quaint Cabana section of Myrtle Beach, also referred to as the Golden Mile. It appears that your air conditioning issue was resolved since you only mention having a problem that first day and we’ve had no complaints since. This condo is in excellent condition and the air conditioning unit is new. Nonetheless, we always recommend keeping the blinds shut for a couple of hours during the hot afternoon sun if you are not in the room. Yours is the only air conditioning complaint on record for this condo for the entire season. Our records indicate no other issues concerning the tub and cabinets were reported during your stay. We take our guest requests very seriously and strive to handle them in a timely manner. We are sorry your stay was not more enjoyable and hope for the opportunity to earn your business again in the future.

Reviewed September 15, 2011

After driving 15 hours to get to Myrtle beach, we arrived at Forest Dunes to see when we could check in. I gave them my number and they said they would call as soon as it was ready but told us to enjoy the amenities (beach, pool etc.) So we decided to go to the pool.. Awhile after we had been swimming they called to let us know that our room was ready. WE had watched a show on tv called bed bug apocolypse and we decided we needed to check the beds before taking any of our belongings up to the room. So we went up to room 902 and started to check the beds and found bed bugs on BOTH beds! I went out into the hallway as housekeeping was out there and I told them what we had found so they came in and looked and they were very grossed out. They then called management and we waited for 3 ladies to arrive on the 9th floor. I went back into the room with them and told them where I saw them and they went over to the beds and seen them (they were mainly around the zipper part of the bed bug cover) They were immeadiatley grossed out and saying "that's it" and the one lady said that she had to get them off of the beds so she went and got a cup and put them in it. The staff was very courteous and offered us another room (802) which we decided not to take only because we didn't want to deal with it and have to look through another room! If you have ever seen any shows on bed bugs then you know what a pest they are! they did let us shower in room 802 and then we left. Since our room was rented through a private owner they couldn't refund our money. We did end up getting our money back for this room and will absolutely NOT return to Forest Dunes again! I have a feeling that this place is only going to worse.. BEWARE OF ROOM 902 and check your entire matress AND boxspring when you are staying somewhere!! I am so thankful that we did! We were in our car for about 72 hours but it sure beats staying in a place with bed bugs!!

Room Tip: I would avoid Forest Dunes all together! Bed bugs spread like wild fire and are very hard to get rid...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Theresa_Matt
ForestDunesMOD, Manager at Forest Dunes Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2011

The Management and staff of Forest Dunes would like to begin by apologizing for the inconvenience that you endured during your short stay at our resort. We would also like to take a moment to address your concerns. First and foremost please know that we have strict quality control standards that are meant to prevent an unacceptable situation like bedbugs from occurring. Unfortunately it is impossible to completely prevent this situation due to the nature of our business. Bedbug incidents at Forest Dunes are so rare that we've experienced only a couple incidents throughout a period of twenty-five years. We do however go to great lengths to prevent it from happening in the first place. A couple reasons for our success are extensive staff training and taking pro-active steps like putting bed bug covers on all mattresses. Where pests are found the condo is immediately quarantined and treated by licensed professionals with a combination of heat and chemicals to eradicate any bugs or eggs. All surrounding rooms are also inspected to ascertain that the bugs have not spread. In this situation our professionals have determined the bugs did not spread and were effectively and promptly eradicated. I know it is a major inconvenience for any guest to have to deal with, and we apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. Thank you for reporting the problem immediately and we hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed September 15, 2011

My wife and I visited this hotel just as quick 3-4 getaway. We were both plesed with this hotel. We had the King Oceanview Suite. The room it self was huge and clean. The feature of having a 1 and 1/2 bath was great because it allowed us to get dressed at the same time. Everything was provided in the full kitchen. The only thing I would take off points for is the lack of an interior hallway. Other than that it's a nice place and we will be back!!

Room Tip: All rooms are located across the street from the beach but still provides a great view.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jaybee24
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed here with our ball team when we played in the Ripken tournament. It is maybe 12 minutes to Ripken and with the beach there plus the pools, the kids had tons to keep them busy. We actually had 4 teams booked in there. As I am the head of the program, I get feedback from everybody and I can tell you that without exception all the families wanted to go back this year. We are booked in again in 3 weeks with multiple teams and can't wait!

The property is a condo so each unit is owned by a family so I guess you can get some variation as far as room conditions go. As mentioned above we had many rooms booked and everybody was happy. The staff was nice and quite helpful on the one occasion I asked for something.

They also have a bar/restaurant which was super. The prices were reasonable and the food was well priced and quite good. We enjoyed spending the evenings there having a few drinks and discussing the day's games.

On the review about the bill for wet beds, I can't help myself. I have to say that I am absolutely stunned that you expect to rent somebody else's home, condo, investment property, whatever, and you feel that you are entitled to have your kids wet the bed and it is supposed to be their problem. That is stunning. Obviously this is an expected occurrence. Grab some pullups. Even if the kids are older and think they are uncool, too bad. Urinating on somebody else's property is disgusting and your sense of entitlement is pathetic. Time to show respect for somebody other then yourself. Your center of the universe attitude probably means we can expect many more negative reviews from you as your experience with people wherever you go in this world is usually closely tied to your attitude going in.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
5  Thank reffz
Reviewed September 12, 2011

This was our first stay in Myrtle Beach, and we have a friend who owns a 3 bedroom condo at Forest Dunes, but it was just the 2 of us so we took our chances with a one-bedroom. (Units are individually owned, so you aren''t sure what you're going to get). We were very happy to see that the location was away from the high rises, boardwalks, noise, and crowded family area of town. We were supposed to get room 510, but it wouldn't be ready until 3:00, and we arrived much earlier, so we called to see if we could have an early check-in. The manager was more than helpful, and told us that 710 would be ready sooner, and it was also a nice room, with lighter colors, "Florida style decor," instead of the blacks and greys of 510, so we took it. It was simply awesome! The decorating was lovely: a light, nautical theme. There were sliding glass doors in the living room AND bedroom, and the view of the ocean was simply amazing. We had no issues with housekeeping, as they replaced used towels daily. The "walk" to the beach, directly across the street, was fine. We didn't appreciate the fact that beach chairs and umbrellas were already set up and are then rented ($30 for 2 chairs and an umbrella) but that's not the resort's fault, and we brought our own anyway and there wasn't a problem finding a nice spot. The pool, lazy river, and hot tub were clean, and not crowded at all. We borrowed DVDs (for free) and enjoyed the free daily newspaper. The fitness room was a joke, but we found a gym not far away that had a guest rate of $5 a day. The staff was always very pleasant, especially Brenda, one of the housekeepers. We didn't care for "Buckets", as the burger was obviously a frozen patty, and the "happy hour" only included 2 brands of beer (which the bartender RUDELY discouraged), so we didn't return. The only slight complaint is an overwhelming odor of cleaning product in the lobby. We would defintely recommend 710!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Darby D, General Manager at Forest Dunes Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2016

Darby Davis

Reviewed September 11, 2011

After a long 2 day car ride...getting settled into your room is the 1st thing you want...when we arrived..our room was ready & much to our delight...our condo was wonderful !!! We got a great condo at a great price...Ours was room 805..King bed 1 1/2 bath..the condo was decorated very nice...the dishwaser & ice maker were an added surprise...having a second bathroom was great..the laundry room downstairs was more than sufficent..the pool/lazy river area were always clean & usually not too crowded...no noise to complain of at all anywhere...Housekeeping came everyday..always had plenty of towels..The resort is just big enough ...the short walk to the beach across the street was nothing..felt as if we were closer walking across the street than we were staying at Captains Quarters directly on the beach last year..The Buckets Bar & Grill was awesome...great wings & sweet potato fries !!!..small quaint little place...family friendly..We throughly enjoyed our stay...everyone was very friendly & resort was very clean...a family friendly place...no party crews rolling in for the weekend..if they did...we didn't hear them..parking garage was not hard to navigate at all...it was well lit & clean as well...We would return in a heartbeat !!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank blizzard28

Darby Davis

Reviewed September 7, 2011

I so wanted to like this place especially since they had so many good reviews. 1st on check-in, the rooms were not ready immediately but not a problem it didn't take long. But once we got upstairs, the refrigerator had a leak and it had towels in t to soak up the leak and the ice machine did not work. Well they sent maintenance up who just turned the switch and talked about how the housekeeper didnt do her job then left. The front desk gave us $2 for a bag of ice because they dont have an ice machine. The room needed remodeling with old cream laminent cabinets but even that was not a deal breaker. The carpet was the worst.It was old and dingy and if you happened to walk barefoot it was disgusting. The housekeeping staff actually counted towels and refused to give extra. Why do I have to haggle with the the housekeeping staff. WOW, you don't have courtesy towels near the pool so I don't want to use my pool towels as bath towels but that was a fight. Sorry my kids left their beach towels home. If you were not ready for the room to be cleaned at 930am you are out of luck unless you called the front desk back. And the customer service there was awful they act as if you were getting on their nerves for calling and asking for cleaning. Then the refrigerator was never fixed and when I called about that they said "what is it now because we sent someone up yesterday about that." Well someone came again did something to the back but it still never stopped leaking. And if you have children who wet the bed like millions still do. Forget coming here. Well they only change sheets every 3 days which was another issue with the front desk. Then when I get home I get a call for $180 for replacement linen. Which I am fighting for because they have put unauthorized charges on my account after I asked them not to charge my card. WOW, I have traveled with my children and stayed many places and I've never been billed for linen. I mean this is your business do you not order extra. FYI if you are trying to keep in shape there forget it. The exercise room has 4 pieces of equipment there and it has a regular lock so you'd have to ask the front desk for it and their attitudes make you not want to ask them for anything. I go to Myrtle Beach often and have never been treated like this.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank summertimefun
ForestDunesMOD, Manager at Forest Dunes Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2011

We are sorry to hear you were not satisfied. We realize there were some problems, including a slight delay upon check in and problems with the refrigerator. These issues are not common at Forest Dunes Resort and we are sorry you encountered these inconveniences.

Concerning the damages you left behind and the charges to your credit card, your registration signature was directly beneath the words “I authorize use of this credit card as payment for charges incurred during my stay and for any missing or damaged items.” This agreement is irrevocable as it is in consideration of our agreement to rent out the condo.

Please note that our mattresses are protected with mattress pads and zippered cases that are water resistant. The cases are expensive, but they are less expensive than replacing an entire mattress. During your stay, four mattress cases were stained and replaced. Our housekeeping staff was diligent in that they cleaned your condo daily and upon making the beds documented four mornings where the bed was wet. The wet bed made it necessary for them to change linens and remove and replace the stained, wet, protective cases on each occasion. On the last day our housekeeper found the encasement ripped off the bed and the mattress was wet and stained. A professional cleaner was contracted to clean the mattress. In addition, our inspection records indicate that you bent a kitchen stool and left both stools on the outdoor balcony. You also broke a security bar off the balcony door. The total cleaning and repair fees were in excess of $195. We only charged you $195. We only collected $50 as your credit card would not authorize the full $195 at this time. The balance of $145 is still outstanding and payable.