“Returned to Beach Colony and it was just as great as the last time!”

Beach Colony Resort
Ranked #23 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed April 25, 2010

I stayed at BC in Feb of 08 with my husband and had a great time. I liked the room we stayed in so when I decided to go again for a girls trip, I asked for the same room (1706) and was lucky enough that it was available.

I thought is was nice on my original stay but WOW, it's even nicer now. (Beware that each unit is privately owned so they don't look alike!) We had a fantastic time and were very happy with the accomodations, outdoor area, beach and staff.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank beachgoer513

Reviewed April 18, 2010

First, when I called to confirm our reservation, they had "lost" it. I had to drive an hour out of my way to find the confirmation number (left it at work). When I finally got it and they returned my call they said they were switching to a new system and my reservation wasn't showing up. I was annoyed because I called the day before to see about cancelling the reservation due to my husband's work schedule, and was told that I could not cancel and would lose my 130.00 deposit...well, that they would hold the deposit for a year. But, no, I couldn't cancel. Of course, I certainly could have, because according to them I didn't even have a reservation. They hadn't charged my credit card or anything until I called them with the confirmation number.

Upon arrival, check in was quick, but once we got up to our room on the 13th floor, the door would not unlock, so we had to switch to another room on the 8th floor.....at almost 3AM, I was less than amused. But, whatever.

The room itself was bigger than I expected. The sleeping area was in a seperate room. There was a pretty good sized living/dining area that also had a pull out sofa. There were plates, forks, etc., which we did use only to find there were no dish towels. The staff at the desk didn't have any either, which I thought was a little odd. I mean, are we the only people to ever actually cook?!

As others stated, the carpet is horrible. You can feel the grime. I'm sure it's from all the salt water and sand. But, yuck.

The room was clean except the bathroom didn't meet my standards. There was black hair in the bathroom floor, and everyone in my family is blonde. The sinks were clean, and the tub looked clean, but it was kind of rusty around the drain. It was okay to shower in, but I wouldn't have allowed my kids to take a bath.

The outside area was great. All of the pools were in good working order, and seemed clean. There were lots of chairs and also tables. There were 3 hammocks too. These were nice! The lazy river was clean and there were plenty of tubes to float on. The hot was TOO HOT. Everyone that got in it complained.

Unlike most myrtle beach hotels, there is no free breakfast. They do have an onsite resteraunt that has a buffet for about 7.00 - which no one in my family was interested in before a long day on the beach. Cereal and a muffin is plenty for us.

The balcony was nice, and you could not beat the gorgeous views.

I was happy with the accommodations for what I paid in April. However, I would not pay the prime summer rate for this hotel. I would recommend it to a friend at the lower rate.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank kytraveler93
Reviewed March 24, 2010

The Beach Colony Resort made our vacation AMAZING!! The room was sooo nice and clean!! Never had a problem with the staff ...they were always helpful and nice!! The oceanfront view was simply breath-taking!! We just do not have enough good things to say about beach colony!! We plan on coming back to myrtle beach this year or next and we are definitely going to stay here!!! :)

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mattiemaple
Reviewed March 4, 2010

We stayed for 3 weeks in February and had a 2-bedroom, ocean view. It was clean and well-kept by the housekeeping staff. The weather was cool but there was an indoor pool and hot tub. The staff answered any questions and were very attentive.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank daylate
Reviewed March 2, 2010

Booked two bedroom angle ocean front - smelled of cat urine - we were then placed in two bedroom ocean front dirty kleenex between sheets in 2nd bedroom - when I advised front desk of problem with dirty kleenex I was advised "sorry about that" by clerk "Fred". He then added "housekeeping must have dropped them inbetween the sheets". Additionally, the second room was cheaper than first booked room - extremely difficult in getting a credit for difference in room price - finally clerk begrudgingly accommodated. Will never stay here again. No mention of any type of remuneration for our inconvenience even though I told them we were traveling with our 88 year old mother who had to again be moved to another room!

• Stayed: March 2010
2  Thank memeNorthCarolina
Darby D, General Manager at Beach Colony Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2017

I apologize that your past experience at our hotel was less than ideal. Many things have changed since your last stay including our entire management team. We are confident you will be delighted with the wonderful changes here at Beach Colony Resort in 2017. I do hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back to our resort.

Sincincerly

Darby Davis
Beach Colony Resort

Reviewed February 27, 2010

Beach Colony is an excellent hotel, many amenities, great service, clean rooms, and cheap!

Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jasonrhonda
Reviewed February 19, 2010

I had been to Myrtle Beach 3 times before this trip. And I stayed at The Beach Colony Resort all 3 of those visits, as well. When my husband and I got married on Valentine's Day of 2008, we were unable to go on a honeymoon because we have custody of our 4 year old grandson (2 years old at the time) and our precious little boy had been through so much until I was given full and permanent custody when he was only13 months old, that we did not want to leave him alone with even his favorite aunt until he was more secure being without us for a while. (In fact, to celebrate this wonderful little boy and I becoming a family, the two of us took a trip to Beach Colony Resort for a full week when he was 15 months old! He and I both had a blast!) Anyway, when my new husband and I finally got away, it was our first anniversary, our honeymoon, and our Valentine's celebration all in one!!! We stayed in a beach front suite with an amazing view of the beach. Everything was so peaceful and quite, we could hear the waves each night without having to open the balcony doors. And although it was cold during our week stay, it was wonderful. The staff was, as always, friendly and very helpful. The woman at the desk when we checked in even remembered me from my trip two years earlier with my grandson! The suite was, again as always, beautiful, clean, and had everything we could need.
We had breakfast every morning at the hotel resturant. What a varity of the best breakfast food! We did not have dinner at there this trip, but I have on previous trips. And it is well worth a try, or even two!
The pools are great, especially having an indoor heated one during any bad weather. And the Lazy River is a gas!! I also love being able to rent the beach umbrellas and loungers right on the beach so that I don't have to bring my own, therefore not taking up space in our car.
My husband and I are planning another trip in October of 2011, and will be bringing our boy, who will be 6 1/2 then. I am unable to do the wateparks and such, but I am sure that my men will love them! And the fact that EVERYTHING is close to The Beach Colony Resort (but not close enough for all the night crowd racket!) just makes it the perfect spot for an entire vacation.
And, very best of all, the beautiful, beautiful private beach just a few yards from the hotel. Pure, clean, always raked, perfect sand! Lots of shells for little ones' collections, sea gulls to throw bread to, great sunbathing, perfect consistancy for walking or running, and, of course, for sand castle building!
I would recommend this hotel to anyone. I have, in fact. Friends, family, church members, strangers, ect. They have all gotten an earful about this wonderful, perfect resort. And more than a few have taken my words to heart, and had great vacations at your hotel themselves. Then passed the word on to others.
In closing, I have never had less than a stellar time at Beach Colony Resort. And hope to have many more!!!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple