Message from TripAdvisor:

Ranked #26 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
ny
“dump”
Reviewed February 7, 2006

If you don't mind cig butts in the stairwell, gritty wet lobby floors that are rarely cleaned, staff who smoke in the laundry room, peeling wallpaper, rust stains, few towels, and general disrepair, then go--because the rates are decent. This is perfect for the very young. The one good thing about this place is the onsite restaurant--it was excellent and reasonable. I CANNOT believe AAA gave this three stars. We will be looking into Hampton Inn or SeaWatch this year.

• Stayed August 2005
7 Thank nys29

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (483)
Tennessee
Reviewed November 3, 2005

This was our second year staying at the Beach Colony. We were originally at the Sandy Beach Resort (did NOT like it there) and thanks to the evacuation due to Hurricane Ophelia, we were able to leave the Sandy Beach, get a refund and eventually move to the Beach Colony. The Beach Colony is in the more private and quiet northern section of Myrtle Beach. It is still just as close to all the attractions (you have to drive to almost everything anyways.)The hotel is undergoing interior renovations but these did not interfere with our stay at all and were not noisy. There is a new hotel going up next door and the city crews were working on some type of drainage project close by which was a little noisy sometimes, but not overly so and not really intrusive. Our suite was nice, this is not a brand new hotel, so don't expect everything to be spanking new and sparkling, but it is a comfortable, spacious room. The owner of our room had installed a TV/VCR/DVD combo which was really nice. All the rooms are similar, but some are a little nicer than others. The front desk staff allowed us to go look at the room before we committed which was very helpful. I don't really care for the restaurant---pricey and the food is not that great. The pools were in pretty good shape considering that the winds from Ophelia kept blowing all kinds of debris in---felt sorry for the pool guys---they had plenty of work to do!!!! Last year when we stayed, the weather was much nicer and the pools were in great shape all the time. We used the indoor pool and spa a lot and had it to ourselves most of the time. The only problem was the ceiling in the bathroom. There had obviously been a leak from overhead in the past which had damaged the ceiling in the shower stall. But, like I said, we looked at the room before booking it and decided that we could live with that since everything else was really great. I am really looking forward to staying here next year and seeing what the room renovations are like.

• Stayed September 2005
15 Thank jerrylann
Reviewed October 2, 2005

Hotel aged, paint chipping, rooms less than appealing, but clean. Pool areas -concrete chippped, pools full of sand and so close to grassy area that you are eaten up by mosquitos and small bugs. Ocean view rooms - no more, extremely loud construction of high rise hotel next door. Cannot sleep past 6 am because of construction noise and cannot enjoy relaxing dip in pools or lazy river. Do not waste your money no matter how cheap the price. Too many other places to stay in MB to have to put up with this. However when we complained, they did reluctantly refund us the rest of the nights after our 1st night of misery.

• Stayed September 2004
2 Thank Sissybubbie
Pa.
Reviewed August 27, 2005

Just returned from the Beach Colony August 19 thru 27. Stayed 8 nights and here it is. First room, 1 night, 2 bed/ 2 bath side view.. the room was a DUMP. Well worn, probably never cleaned. We woke to the sights (if you leaned out far enough you could barely see the ocean)and sounds of the construction next door at 0645 in the morning. Concrete saws, cranes, cement trucks. OK, forget that , let's get breakfast and head to the beach.

Down to Fusco's for breakfast. Nice view of the pools and ocean, but, they gave fried hard eggs to our daughter(she ordered over easy), they forget our nieces' omelet (it arrived 5 minutes later), and my toast had mold on it. This was our first and last encounter with the restaurant.

Next day we changed rooms to a 2 bedroom 2 bath ocean front. Although this room was a little nicer the place was still well worn. Stains on the rugs dirty bathrooms, major dirt on top of the fridge(which was never cleaned the next 7 days)(i investigated the dirt on the fridge....next to it is the closet that houses the air-conditioning unit, I opened it and found a tag that had the replacement date of the filter"march 1 2005" yes , a somewhat clean filter.. too bad it was lying next to the unit on the floor and not in it.)

Next: the walkways outside the rooms were nasty, no rugs, no paint. There was also the Garbage Room, located 10 feet from our door. The maids constantly left it opened along with the garbage shute itself causing a nauseating smell the entire week. Oh yea, the maids....changed our sheets once that week, walked into my daughters bathroom while she was in the shower. walked into my wife's bathroom while she was putting on make-up, vacuumed once. They were in and out of the room in 5 minutes daily.

The Beach: Directly in front of the hotel is a major water runoff pipe that leads from a pond across the street to the beach area which carried large amount of nasty brown water into the ocean. On several days the RED Warning sign: Biological hazard...swimming is not advised was placed on the beach.

The Price: I've been going to Myrtle Beach for 16 years now and have stayed at numerous places. I could have gotten a much nicer place for a lot less $$, and next year I will!

The Bar: Closed most nights at 10 pm. and the counter top was not cleaned the 8 nights we stayed there.

I'll finish with the only good things about this place, our balcony was newly tiled, the pools were cleaned daily. These pluses in no way compare to all the negatives involved with this hotel.

• Stayed August 2005
9 Thank dog1
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 8, 2005

I was very pleased when My husband & I & another couple of friends of ours stayed at the Beach Colony. I don't look for whether a place has older model equipment or whether or not the walls have been painted as I noticed that some people mentioned. I look for a nice & clean room with friendly service & well maintained facilities & I found all of this here! As a matter of fact we are set to go back (Lord Willing if the weather holds off) the week end of August 19-21.
Who in there right mind would spend ALL of their time in the room the whole time you're in Myrtle Beach anyway?
All I can say is that I enjoyed it then & if it's any different when we head back up there in about a week I will let you know. But I really thought everything was great. The only thing that wasn't the best was the inside dinning. We had breakfast there the last day of our visit & it was a little long in waiting to get your meals & even to pay afterward but other than that I was happy with Beach Colony Resort!

• Stayed September 2003
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
connecticut
Reviewed August 6, 2005

I hate to do this, but I have to!!
You will be so sorry if you stay at this hotel.
My husband, my children and I travel alot . From the Islands to Jersey shore, from Rhode Island to Florida. We stay at beachie hotels to the 5 star hotels.We don't mind spending money as long as we get what we pay for. This hotel lets you believe it's an upscale hotel with their 5 star prices and 5 star advertising and it is anything but. We stayed there for a week. We paid big bucks for a angel ocean front room. You would think it was ocean front, right ?Well it's not. It is the side of the building that sticks out a little and our room was on the forth floor facing only the construction next door. There is a new hotel going up next door on the same side as the ocean front angle rooms. Do not waste your money staying in one of these rooms, they are not worth it!! And they will not accommodate you at all. They are rude and snippy at the front desk. They must be so sick of all the complaints. And I hate to say it but, of course with constructions brings little guys crawling around everywhere. the rooms wee alful and the hallways were very bad. If I wanted to stay at a hotel like this i would for a quarter of the price. Like I said i don't mind paying for the nice things in life but this hotel was not a nice thing in life at all!!!
They advertise a bar that was never, never open the entire week. The restaurant I believe, has one person that cooks and serves, so for the time you wait for breakfast you should of ordered lunch.
Believe me I do post when I am happy with a hotel. I am not one of these people that just come on to blow off steam. I really want to help you guys . don't waste your money!!!!
Oh yea don't forget you have to rent chairs at the beach $10 for 2 chairs a day. And if you buy chairs at the end of the week don't leave them thinking the hotel will pass them on to their new guess because we watched them throw them out. Pass them up to people your selves.
The new Breakers and Broadway on The Beach look like good hotels

• Stayed July 2005
10 Thank Hairsma
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 2, 2005

We ( my Husband, 2 daughters and baby grandson) spent last week at the Beach Colony and had a great week. I was really worried after reading reviews because we have stayed at the Beach Colony off and on for 15 years and love the lay out of the ocean front suites and how quite the beach is in this area. We have stayed at alot of the Hotels (10 others) up the beach from the Beach Colony but keep coming back. I had called and asked about construction and noise and was told about the building next door but it didn't bother us at all. Check in was a snap but of course from Myrtle Beach experience we Knew normally none of the hotels allow check-in until 3. The Beach is as beautiful as ever and you hardly notice the building noise. All the pools and the spa were working and clean (I am very picky about that). We had a privately owned clean ocean frontsuite on the 12th floor, nice dishes, 2 TV's and everything worked. The parking garage was usually full but here again we were always able to park near a walk over and it is not the smallest or worse one we've stayed at in the past. The elevators were busy but here again not as bad as many I have dealt with in traveling. We always had plenty of towels and the maids were very good about working with us and a napping baby. We were pleased to see the updates that are being done and will stay again at the Beach Colony. Ask for a newly updated suite and remember they are privately owned and some owners take better care than others.

• Stayed July 2005