Message from TripAdvisor:

“Hated, Beach Colony !!!!!”

Ranked #23 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Pa.
Reviewed July 26, 2005

My family and my sister's family stayed at Beach Colony, July 16th-23rd.
I looked on this message board for comments and only found a few.
Don't waste your time or money staying at these condo's on the beach !!!!
When we arrived they would not let us check in until 3 o'clock- the line was so long it took over an hour to just check in. When we finally located a cart to take to our room, the elevator broke down with us in it !!! We were in the elevator for almost a hour !!! The elevator broke down several times during the week and took a long time to come. If we were not on the 18th floor we would have taken the steps. Alot of older kids rent these units and the noise is unbearable all hours of the night. I would absolutely not reccomend Beach Colony to anyone. If you have reservations, cancel !!!!
The dishes and cookware provided in the units were horrible, my sister and I commented if we had these dishes we would not even give them to the goodwill, they should all be trashed.
Again, look for another resort.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Darby D, General Manager at Beach Colony Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2017

I apologize that your past experience at our hotel was less than ideal. Many things have changed since your last stay including our entire management team. We are confident you will be delighted with the wonderful changes here at Beach Colony Resort in 2017. I do hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back to our resort.

Maryland
Reviewed July 19, 2005

We went a month ago and our room was very clean. We had a second floor room as all are individually owned and decorated. We talked to Tammy, at the front desk (hope that was her name) and she was great. When you call and make a reservation ask about the room you will be staying in and don't take for granted that it will be perfect. We look at the room before we actually rent it for the night or week.

Parking IS cramped for SUV's but I bet there were NO SUV's when the building was first built. The elevators were a little slow, but we were on the second floor so we used the stairs to go up and down the levels. A good way to get your excercise too. Patience is what the SOUTH is about I hear. The spa is the nastiest thing you can get into at the beach so it didn't matter that it was closed to us. The grounds were really pretty and well kept. The pools were cleaned each morning/evening and sand hosed off the concrete and chairs. A nice wood walkway to get on the beach with a little bench on the end to sit (bet I know who sat down when they got to the end.) We usually don't wash clothes so I don't know how to feel about that. Fuscos was DELICIOUS, eat there at least once when you stay.

Don't let people sway you from staying here because of a little walking and I mean a LITTLE walking from the parking deck. If you feel you have a dirty room ask for another one or call front desk and get a maid back in there. You can't expect everything to be perfect with people renting a room every night of the summer. So, bring your Lysol and leave all your complaining at home and just enjoy the Beach Colony Resort and Myrtle Beach.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Pittsburgh
Reviewed July 17, 2005

Where to begin..the parking garage. If you have a lagre suv or a mini van with a cargo holder on top, you can only park on the first level. The 6'2" beams willl not let you go up any higher. The problem is that there are very limited spaces which are quite narrow. You have people who park their ford rangers, mid-sized cars and other small vehicles there and never get ticketed (which the sign says will happen).
Next, the elevators. Ok, there are three cross walks from the parking garage on three different floors. You can ride a very slow elevator in the garage to these crossings. From there you can take on or two elevators that go onlyup to floor 12. Or you can take one of another two elevators that go to floors 1, 12-22, and a few more (not all of them). While there for seven days, the right elevator broke down three times. Once for 10 minutes, once for an hour and once for more than three hours. One of those days happened to be Saturday 10:00 am, the major day for check-out.
The first bedroom of condo 1508 had urine between the matresses and hadn't been cleaned in over a month, we found two empty pop bottles and three tissues, along with some serious dirt. After being offered to move to 2208 (the penthouse, hahaha), we found that same situation under the beds and a beautiful water stain on the ceiling which was enhanced by peeling paint surrounding the stain. The maid was brought up to the room and she had to do a thorough clean on the bedrooms, oven (which was black with soot), the microwave, and the refrigerator. After waiting two hours in the lobby we finally got into our room. It was nice to have the air conditioning go out twice on the first night. Also, the in-condo dryer left black streaks on our clothes and the washer broke on day three. The part was ordered immediately and hadn't arrived as of 11:00am Saturday the 16th. The construction next door of a major hotel still goes on each day. The workers way up in the cranes have great eyes. The outdoor hottub is still closed due to a lidigation and yes, there are several runoff drains by the hotel. These drains let storm water run directly into the ocean. The streams are at least 50 yards long and who knows what is clming out of them along with the water runoff. There was water running every day and we only had rain twice in seven days?
There were three great things about this motel. First, the kids activities director. She was very sweet and personable. She deserves to work somewhere better. She did a great job with the kids. The in-house food was great. We had the italian buffet and it was wonderful The staff was accomdating and very prompt. Finally the two bartenders. They made wonderful drinks and were very pleasant.
I question some of you who enjoyed the facility. The run-off water, the parking, and elevator sitaution are some serious items for a bad trip. I encourage every potentional guest to double check your rooms and check out all options before you commit to this place. The general manager never got back to me when I met with him personally on the Monday after checking in. The night manager said to my me and my family, " we get complaints about of cleaning service all the time" on the night we checked in and waited for two hours. The hotel has a lot of potential to be great, it really needs some serious management and direction to get there.
It was a shame to drive 13 hours with my parents and three children (9, 6, 20 months) and pay $$$ for this experience. There were two other families that moved their rooms and another who cancelled their reservation the night we checked in.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed July 16, 2005

The resort in itself was nice...pools were always clean, dowstairs area was tidy. Construction next door, but it didn't really bother us. The housekeeping in our room was AWFUL. Floors were not swept and bathrooms were less than clean. Our friends even had to call down for a new shower curtain because of black mildew. Probably wouldn't stay there again.

4  Thank Kim19812014

Wheeling, WV
Reviewed July 14, 2005

I read the reviews before making my reservation and thought everything would be ok. I called and made a reservation, and was told about the construction. I made 2 reservations, one for my mother who was not staying the length of time we were, it was my 1st wedding. So... I explained to the man on the other end of the line that I wanted an oceanview room for myself, and my mother was not picky. Anyways, we had 6 parties coming for the wedding, and all staying at Beach Colony. I walk into my room after checking in, and look out the window and see a big stone building, so close I could have helped the workers. To make a long story short the front desk said there was nothing they could do until the general manager came in the next morning, now my mother had the view to die for! The general manager calls me a few times during the next afternoon, made adjustments, and had me in a spectacular 3 bedroom, only charging me for a 2 bedroom. Room 1703 - love it!!! Yes, there is construction but only to better the facility, and the renovated rooms are very nice, ask for one when you call. Only one party left Beach Colony, because her room was painted so yellow it hurt to open your eyes, but every one else enjoyed the place! Thank you to the general manager,and staff at Beach Colony. (the elevator situation is a little confusing at times, my 12 year old son picked it up faster than I did!)

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 17, 2005

My family of four stayed at the Beach Colony Resort from 6/12/05 - 6/17/05.
We had a very pleasant stay with very few problems.There is some remodeling
going on that seems to be in the final stages.We had a beach front two room
suite that was very nice.We were not really affected by any of the remodeling.
Housekeeping was good(Towels well stocked,floors cleaned etc).Pool areas
were kept clean and orderly.Hotel is in a great location for people who want
to be in the less crowded part of Myrtle Beach.

Hotel staff was very friendly and helpful.

There are daily activities for the kids.Most are free to take part in...but some
do have a minimal charge.

The main negatives we had with the place would have to be the parking deck and
the elevators.Parking was very cramped for a SUV.You probably would not have much
trouble in a car or small truck.If you vehicle needs more clearance than 6' 2 " you
are restricted to the first level of the garage.

During peak times of the day the elevators could not handle the traffic.This was
mainly from lunch through 3:00 pm.Not much of a wait at other times though.
Request a lower floor so you can use the stairs.

There is some major construction going on next door.You really do not notice
it unless you use the lazy river or have a ocean view room on that side.It is
not as bad as some of the reviews make it out to be.

There was one outdoor hot tub that was blocked off all week for some reason.

To sum it up...I would recommend Beach Colony for you family vacation.If you
go later in the summer, all of the remodeling should be complete.But, the construction
next door will probably not be complete anytime soon.

8  Thank GA_Floyds
Dover, OH
Reviewed June 14, 2005

Although there was construction next door, that is not the fault of Beach Colony. Our room, #511 was very clean and well kept when we arrived. Maid service was great and our maid was very caring and personable. When we arrived, north pool was still closed, but by mid-week was open. I found the staff to be very helpful. We have stayed at Beach Colony several times and find the accomodations are very reasonably priced and the Beach area is the best in Myrtle Beach

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member