Message from TripAdvisor:

“what a way to start out”

Ranked #23 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Wheeling, WV
Reviewed July 14, 2005

I read the reviews before making my reservation and thought everything would be ok. I called and made a reservation, and was told about the construction. I made 2 reservations, one for my mother who was not staying the length of time we were, it was my 1st wedding. So... I explained to the man on the other end of the line that I wanted an oceanview room for myself, and my mother was not picky. Anyways, we had 6 parties coming for the wedding, and all staying at Beach Colony. I walk into my room after checking in, and look out the window and see a big stone building, so close I could have helped the workers. To make a long story short the front desk said there was nothing they could do until the general manager came in the next morning, now my mother had the view to die for! The general manager calls me a few times during the next afternoon, made adjustments, and had me in a spectacular 3 bedroom, only charging me for a 2 bedroom. Room 1703 - love it!!! Yes, there is construction but only to better the facility, and the renovated rooms are very nice, ask for one when you call. Only one party left Beach Colony, because her room was painted so yellow it hurt to open your eyes, but every one else enjoyed the place! Thank you to the general manager,and staff at Beach Colony. (the elevator situation is a little confusing at times, my 12 year old son picked it up faster than I did!)

There are newer reviews for Beach Colony Resort

Reviewed June 17, 2005

My family of four stayed at the Beach Colony Resort from 6/12/05 - 6/17/05.
We had a very pleasant stay with very few problems.There is some remodeling
going on that seems to be in the final stages.We had a beach front two room
suite that was very nice.We were not really affected by any of the remodeling.
Housekeeping was good(Towels well stocked,floors cleaned etc).Pool areas
were kept clean and orderly.Hotel is in a great location for people who want
to be in the less crowded part of Myrtle Beach.

Hotel staff was very friendly and helpful.

There are daily activities for the kids.Most are free to take part in...but some
do have a minimal charge.

The main negatives we had with the place would have to be the parking deck and
the elevators.Parking was very cramped for a SUV.You probably would not have much
trouble in a car or small truck.If you vehicle needs more clearance than 6' 2 " you
are restricted to the first level of the garage.

During peak times of the day the elevators could not handle the traffic.This was
mainly from lunch through 3:00 pm.Not much of a wait at other times though.
Request a lower floor so you can use the stairs.

There is some major construction going on next door.You really do not notice
it unless you use the lazy river or have a ocean view room on that side.It is
not as bad as some of the reviews make it out to be.

There was one outdoor hot tub that was blocked off all week for some reason.

To sum it up...I would recommend Beach Colony for you family vacation.If you
go later in the summer, all of the remodeling should be complete.But, the construction
next door will probably not be complete anytime soon.

8  Thank GA_Floyds
Dover, OH
Reviewed June 14, 2005

Although there was construction next door, that is not the fault of Beach Colony. Our room, #511 was very clean and well kept when we arrived. Maid service was great and our maid was very caring and personable. When we arrived, north pool was still closed, but by mid-week was open. I found the staff to be very helpful. We have stayed at Beach Colony several times and find the accomodations are very reasonably priced and the Beach area is the best in Myrtle Beach

Reviewed June 12, 2005

This place was terrible. This place was like a maze. We checked in and went to our room after trying to find our way from the parking garage. Only certain elevators worked on certain floors, especially the parking garage. When I booked our reservations I asked and paid for an ocean front suite, which should have included a full kitchen. It did not have a full kitchen, it only had a microwave and stove top and a little refrigerator. The lights in the bedroom were broken out so the only light that you had was from a lamp that was probably 15 years old. The balcony was closed because they just replaced the tile, so you couldn't even go outside. When we did go outside the pool was closed and the view from the room overlooked a drainage pipe running into the ocean. I turned around went back into the lobby and checked back out. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

3  Thank travelerjasper
Darby D, General Manager at Beach Colony Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2017

I apologize that your past experience at our hotel was less than ideal. Many things have changed since your last stay including our entire management team. We are confident you will be delighted with the wonderful changes here at Beach Colony Resort in 2017. I do hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back to our resort.

Reviewed June 7, 2005

Major construction everywhere! Next door construction with crains and so much noise we could not sit out on the balcony. We left early after only two days. If that were not enough, Beach Colony was doing its own construction and 2 pools and the outside jacuzzi were closed. The restaurant which is privately owned is also under construction! The grounds are being dug up, etc. No compensation, had to pay for the days I stayed. People were leaving left and right and very annoyed saying they will not return. Perhaps hotels are nicer than privately held condos. I have stayed here in the winter and it was nice.
I must state - the room, 1216 was very nice, no problem there, the owners are very caring about the room, maid service is ok, elevators are horribly slow. Desk personnel could care less, they stated they were sorry, but did nothing about it. You want to leave? We will only charge you for the days you stayed.

5  Thank oakwoodglen

Bluefield, WV
Reviewed June 1, 2005

i would have to say this hotel did exceed my expectations since the price we paid to stay here was roughly $250 to $300 dollars less than what it would have cost to stay at other ocean front hotels that offer the same ammenities. Our room was very nice with mirrored walls throughout and i especially enjoyed the outside bar that offers great mixed drinks!!!! If i had to say anything negative about the beach colony it would be about the restaurant Fuscos, although they were rated one of the best on the ocean their prices for hamburgers and things like this are outrageous!!!! The space available for driving from floor to floor is definately not big enough either but the trip as a whole was very enjoyable and i would probably choose the beach colony again just because of the great rate we got as compared to other hotels!!! If you like the more quiet side of myrtle beach away from all the noise and traffic then the beach colony is the place for you!!

• Stayed: May 2005
Ashtabula, OH
Reviewed May 16, 2005

Stayed at Beach Colony for the 5th or 6th time in May. Was never told about the major construction and was not compensated for the major inconvenience. We paid for an ocean front room -- all we could see was scaffolding and plastic covering the railing. Although our individual condo was beautiful, all you heard from 7:30 a.m to 5:00 p.m. was construction noises. Unfortunately, the condos next door (Pan Am) are also being totally renovated and we were told by a Realtor that the project will last for another year. So once Beach Colony's construction is over, there will still be massive noise from next door. First time the lazy river ride wasn't relaxing, due to noise. We will not stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2005