2,527 results
All reviews front desk lazy river ocean front parking deck breakfast buffet living room hot tub several years kiddie pool great vacation trip to myrtle beach full kitchen family vacation great resort off season mia freddie
Reviewed July 24, 2009

This was our first stay , and we will return. The hotel is a little dated but clean and the price is excellent for ocean front suite. The pool area was clean and nice. The parking garage is a little tight, but your car is shaded. You don't have to get into a flaming car when you go out. The air conditioners are not located on the balony wall. We stayed in room 505, ice machine and parking deck access on that level. House keeping was good. I have stayed a hotels without ocean front view for the same price. Love it, will be back again. Oh, almost forgot, go to Crocodile Rocks at Broadway at the Beach. (adults only) It was HILARIOUS. Ric Flair came in that night.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Tess P, Manager at Beach Colony Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2018

Thank you for letting us know about your resort experience. We sincerely appreciate the stars you have given us. We look forward to having you come and stay with us again in the future!!

Reviewed July 23, 2009

I, like many people, read many reviews and was scared to death of what we would get when we arrived at the Beach Colony. We only ended up picking it after The Landmark couldn't guarantee that we would have a non-smoking room, even though we were paying more for non-smoking. We were in room 903 and had a wonderful view from the balcony. Opening the patio door in the morning to hear the ocean was awesome. We were in a great area that was about 2 miles from the congested strip of hotels/condos where the traffic was dreadful. I am so glad we were at the Beach Colony. Our kitchen was fully stocked with pots, pans, utensils, dinnerware and even a full toaster, blender and coffee maker. The bedroom was large and we had a large safe in the closet. The only complaint I had there was that the safe was not actually mounted, but it was very heavy and probably would have been pretty obvious if someone was trying to haul it out. We asked the front desk if they were aware the safe wasn’t mounted and they said they are in the process of doing that. My only real complaint about the room is that it was rather old and the bathroom showed that. The vents in the bathroom were nasty and the tub was rough looking – not necessarily dirty, but obvious that years of sand had worn most of the finish off. There were double sinks, which was nice and the bathroom itself was large. Our TV also had buttons missing on it, which I thought was weird as to how/why someone would remove the power/volume/channel buttons on a TV. I think if you are used to staying at Westins, Hiltons, etc., then you may be very disappointed. But if you can handle Holiday Inn, Best Western, etc. you could be happy here. The key is all the units are individually owned, so the décor/wear and tear could vary. I didn’t find the elevators to be unusually slow, with the exception of about 11 am, which is check out time. The parking garage is not particularly fun, but it is nice to not have to park across the street. My only gripe about the hotel itself is that there isn’t really a “waterpark-type” area for kids. My daughter kept staring at the waterslides and play area at the Dunes next door every time we drove by. She enjoyed the lazy river and the beach access was awesome. All in all, a good experience.

• Trip type: Traveled with family

Reviewed July 20, 2009

This was my first trip to Myrtle Beach in six years. I've been so many times as a kid growing up. This was my first stay at the Beach Colony Resort. Let me start off with the good things. The pool area was nice and clean. Our room was clean. The hotel is in a great location and the beach is very nice. The staff at the hotel was very accommodating to me and very friendly. Now the bad. Our room (unit 402) probably hasn't been updated since the 1980s. It had mirrors on the walls, ceilings and everywhere else you can put a mirror. It was very tacky, but it was a place to sleep. Everything you have read on here about the parking garage is true. It is one of the most poorly designed and dangerous parking garages I have ever been in. If you stay here, go very slow and use the mirrors on the ramps. It's extremely tricky if you are scared of driving in tight conditions. The breakfast buffet in the restaurant was fair, but close to disgusting. The drinks at the pool bar were fair and didn't match the price. I learned on this trip that you get what you pay for. I saved money by staying here, but I wasn't pleased. I wished I had gone with my gut and stayed at the Hampton Inn. In closing, if you are looking for a place to sleep at a lower price, this is the place for you. If you are a person of particular taste and don't like dangerous parking garages, I recommend going elsewhere. I'll never stay here again, but I'm sure some people wouldn't mind it.

• Trip type: Traveled solo
2  Thank jescowhite
Darby D, General Manager at Beach Colony Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2017

I apologize that your past experience at our hotel was less than ideal. Many things have changed since your last stay including our entire management team. We are confident you will be delighted with the wonderful changes here at Beach Colony Resort in 2017. I do hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back to our resort.

Sincerely

Darby Davis
Beach Colony Resort

Reviewed July 17, 2009

We have come here several times, but the prices seem to have gone up for no reason. The place is not being updated and maintained properly. I think they must be filling up with a lot of groups and tour buses--one was there and the place was very crowded when we were there.

THE BAD: 1. We booked FIVE weeks in advance and asked for a room on a lower floor (a little fear of height thing). The reservations clerk told us he booked us onto 3rd floor. When we got there, a different, rude woman told us we were on the 17th floor and there were no guarantees of rooms or floors. She said there was only one more room available on the 11th floor but it wasn't ready. Still too high for me to enjoy the balcony. So, I booked five weeks in advance, and a latecomer got my desired room on a lower floor.

2. The room was GHETTO FABULOUS--the 18 inch TV in the sitting area was ON TOP OF THE REFRIGERATOR and the dvd player was IN THE KITCHEN CABINET BESIDE THE REFRIGERATOR. We had one towel each for the next 24 hours, no coffee, no ice bucket, the clock didn't work, tile was falling off in the bathroom. The TV in the bedroom was also about 18 inches.

3..The parking garage is horrible and there are only three crossovers from the garage to the hotel for 22 floors. (You have to ride a garage elevator to one of the three crossovers, walk over, then get on another elevator to get to your room.) The garage traffic is one-way and you constantly have to stop or back up to let other cars through.

The price used to be the best thing about the Beach Colony, but it's more now than some much nicer places. Do yourself a favor and search for other places. I found much better prices at much better places after I booked; how I wished I had cancelled! This fading lady has gotten too faded for me very quickly and the prices don't reflect the condition and amenities of this hotel.

Date of stay: June 2009
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank SummerVirginia

Sincerely

Darby Davis
Beach Colony Resort

Reviewed July 16, 2009

I read so many reviews prior to choosing a hotel that I almost drove myself crazy. I mostly read the terrible and poor reviews. I finally chose Beach Colony after a friend 's suggestion, reading reviews and prayer. This place met and succeeded all of my expectations. We stayed in the oceanfron executive suite on the 15th floor (1507) and is was very clean. Housekeeping did an excellent job in keeping the room clean and everybody at the front desk was accommodating. We enjoyed the short walk to the beach and relaxing in the lazy river afterwards. The children enjoyed the swimming pools and the view from the balcony. The only concern was the parking deck. We drive a SUV and it was a little tight but my husband is a great driver and parks well. Thanks for a great vacation.

• Trip type: Traveled with family