“A Good Time Was Had By All”

Beach Colony Resort
Ranked #23 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Our stay at Beach Colony Resort was a very pleasant experience. We will definitely consider staying here again. Everyone in our party had a wonderful time and enjoyed many of the amenities of the resort. From check-in to check-out, everyone on staff was very pleasant and helpful. Our accommodations were very nice, if maybe a little dated. Some upkeep is needed (frest paint and upholstery cleaning). If I had to give any negative comments, they would be about the confusing parking and elevator service. We got used to it, but it was a chore to have to go from one elevator to another to get from some floors to another. See, even the complaint is confusing. Overall, our experience at Beach Colony was a very positive one and we certainly would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Ray D

Reviewed October 12, 2012

We have stayed at the Beach Colony several times. Our favorite is the 2 bedroom angle ocean front rooms. We usually share this room with our parents. Everyone and everything has always been great. We especially like this hotel because of it's location. We attend shows at the Alabama Theater and shop at Barefoot Landing, Broadway At The Beach, and the mall. It is also centrally located to many of the restaurants we eat at and to some of the golf courses we play. Great stay again.

Room Tip: We always do oceanfront or angle oceanfront because we love to listen to and look out and see the wa...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2012

The hotel itself was good deal. We paid $72 for a 2 bedroom unit. Unit was pretty good. Not the ritz but what we expected for the price. The front desk staff were great. We stayed for a week with our 2 kids - aged 12 & 10. The people running the outside lazy river and pool were very rude all week long. Every minute my kids were in the pool or lazy river they were told off. They were not allowed to have a foam ball in the pool even though they were only ones in the pool for most of our stay. They were repeatedly told off and at one point the staff member actually took my son's ball and threw it in the bushes. Unbelievable. My kids are very well behaved and respectful of other people. They were just trying to have fun when no one else was around. If you have kids stay somewhere else. This is clearly not a hotel that welcomes families.

Room Tip: We were in 2 bedroom unit by the street with side view of ocean. It was very noisy.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Darby D, General Manager at Beach Colony Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2017

I apologize that your past experience at our hotel was less than ideal. Many things have changed since your last stay including our entire management team. We are confident you will be delighted with the wonderful changes here at Beach Colony Resort in 2017. I do hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back to our resort.

Sincerely

Darby Davis
Beach Colony Resort

Reviewed October 7, 2012

The staff was very courteous upon our arrival. My husband and I came to celebrate our 10yr anniversary. The room was clean and we really enjoyed our stay. Our suggestion is update the parking garage. Hard for vehicles to enter in or exit simultaneously.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Our second time here and are pleased once again. The price is what attracted me in the first place. Usually you get what you pay for, but NOT in this case. We are impressed with the staff, the price, the view, the convenience, and the ammeninities. The location is terrific, Not downtown ( which I would not like), but close enough to cruise through for a few laughs. Best I think is the cleanliness and the service. We are treated as friends. Yes.....could use a facelift....but then, couldn't we all?? The Beach Colony is like visiting old friends, it's not about the looks....it's what's inside that counts. HIGHLY RECOMMMEND for tight budgets!!!! Personally we like the parking garage. much easier than fighting for a parking space!

Room Tip: We like the view, higher is good!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We had a great time. Clean, very friendly and helpfull. From the time we walked thru the door. This is the place to stay!!!! Wanted a t-shirt in a 2x and the bartenders went out of their way to find one. All I can say it was awesome.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I drove 1288 miles from Austin on the advice (and invite) from this pretty li'l ol' gal from Greenville, SC, to spend a week at Myrtle Beach. She'd been here before, so I trusted her judgment. And I'm glad I did. I had a studio while she took a suite, and prices for both were extremely reasonable for being right on the beach.

The studio is laid out in typical motel fashion, and has two queen beds facing two large picture windows. Typical bathroom, flat-screen TV, and a small fridge & sink. Plates (from various makers), flatware, microwave, and coffee maker are provided. Being the coffee snob that I am, I had brought my French press, Zassenhaus mill, and whole beans...and l glad I did (pre-packaged Folger's and no filters for the maker...not that I'd have used it anyway). I had some view of the beach, but more of the top of the building next door.

My friend's suite was pretty sweet...separate bedroom with two queen beds, two-burner stovetop, microwave, small fridge, and same dining utensils (along with various pots & pans to boot). The living room/dining area had a sliding glass door the lead to a small balcony for a great view of the beach & ocean. Both rooms appeared to be 80s vintage in design & decor. An in-room safe is provided (you enter your own four-digit code to lock & unlock), and had plenty of room for my laptop & camera gear (even my tripod fit). Tip: if you have the balcony door open, take care when you open the front door...the wind will catch it and slam it HARD.

We *loved* the hot tubs! And there were no shortage of pools...we especially enjoyed the "Lazy River", a circular pool with a constant current for lazing about in the provided floats. We didn't used the exercise room, but did play a bit in the (video) game room. We also didn't partake in the breakfast buffet (a bit pricey) or the lounge. Free in-room wifi is provided as well, although it ran a bit slow at times. Each room has a DVD player, too, and movies are available for guests.

Parking is provided by a multi-level garage, connected to the building by three catwalks. And there is a good reason why it's called the "circle of death"! Tip: turn your lights on, and use those mirrors mounted on each turn! We had no issues to speak of, and never had problems parking (but we were off-season). You can usually count on a bit of a wait for the elevators (pay attention to which set you uses...one pair for each of the two sections of the property). Cameras are mounted throughout the property as well, including inside the elevators.

This was a relaxing week we both desperately needed. Early morning walks on the beach were fairly secluded, as were our nightly strolls. Two weeks after Labor Day, we felt we had the beach to ourselves at times. Traffic in town was incredibly light. All in all, we had no complaints, and plan to make this a yearly destination. Off-season, of course.

Room Tip: The studios are great if all you need is a roof over your head at a great price. A few bucks more ca...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends