Message from TripAdvisor:

“Pool staff very rude - if you have children don't stay here”

Beach Colony Resort
Ranked #26 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
toronto
“Pool staff very rude - if you have children don't stay here”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

The hotel itself was good deal. We paid $72 for a 2 bedroom unit. Unit was pretty good. Not the ritz but what we expected for the price. The front desk staff were great. We stayed for a week with our 2 kids - aged 12 & 10. The people running the outside lazy river and pool were very rude all week long. Every minute my kids were in the pool or lazy river they were told off. They were not allowed to have a foam ball in the pool even though they were only ones in the pool for most of our stay. They were repeatedly told off and at one point the staff member actually took my son's ball and threw it in the bushes. Unbelievable. My kids are very well behaved and respectful of other people. They were just trying to have fun when no one else was around. If you have kids stay somewhere else. This is clearly not a hotel that welcomes families.

Room Tip: We were in 2 bedroom unit by the street with side view of ocean. It was very noisy.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
Reviewed October 7, 2012

The staff was very courteous upon our arrival. My husband and I came to celebrate our 10yr anniversary. The room was clean and we really enjoyed our stay. Our suggestion is update the parking garage. Hard for vehicles to enter in or exit simultaneously.

• Stayed October 2012
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Our second time here and are pleased once again. The price is what attracted me in the first place. Usually you get what you pay for, but NOT in this case. We are impressed with the staff, the price, the view, the convenience, and the ammeninities. The location is terrific, Not downtown ( which I would not like), but close enough to cruise through for a few laughs. Best I think is the cleanliness and the service. We are treated as friends. Yes.....could use a facelift....but then, couldn't we all?? The Beach Colony is like visiting old friends, it's not about the looks....it's what's inside that counts. HIGHLY RECOMMMEND for tight budgets!!!! Personally we like the parking garage. much easier than fighting for a parking space!

Room Tip: We like the view, higher is good!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We had a great time. Clean, very friendly and helpfull. From the time we walked thru the door. This is the place to stay!!!! Wanted a t-shirt in a 2x and the bartenders went out of their way to find one. All I can say it was awesome.

• Stayed September 2012
Austin, Texas
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I drove 1288 miles from Austin on the advice (and invite) from this pretty li'l ol' gal from Greenville, SC, to spend a week at Myrtle Beach. She'd been here before, so I trusted her judgment. And I'm glad I did. I had a studio while she took a suite, and prices for both were extremely reasonable for being right on the beach.

The studio is laid out in typical motel fashion, and has two queen beds facing two large picture windows. Typical bathroom, flat-screen TV, and a small fridge & sink. Plates (from various makers), flatware, microwave, and coffee maker are provided. Being the coffee snob that I am, I had brought my French press, Zassenhaus mill, and whole beans...and l glad I did (pre-packaged Folger's and no filters for the maker...not that I'd have used it anyway). I had some view of the beach, but more of the top of the building next door.

My friend's suite was pretty sweet...separate bedroom with two queen beds, two-burner stovetop, microwave, small fridge, and same dining utensils (along with various pots & pans to boot). The living room/dining area had a sliding glass door the lead to a small balcony for a great view of the beach & ocean. Both rooms appeared to be 80s vintage in design & decor. An in-room safe is provided (you enter your own four-digit code to lock & unlock), and had plenty of room for my laptop & camera gear (even my tripod fit). Tip: if you have the balcony door open, take care when you open the front door...the wind will catch it and slam it HARD.

We *loved* the hot tubs! And there were no shortage of pools...we especially enjoyed the "Lazy River", a circular pool with a constant current for lazing about in the provided floats. We didn't used the exercise room, but did play a bit in the (video) game room. We also didn't partake in the breakfast buffet (a bit pricey) or the lounge. Free in-room wifi is provided as well, although it ran a bit slow at times. Each room has a DVD player, too, and movies are available for guests.

Parking is provided by a multi-level garage, connected to the building by three catwalks. And there is a good reason why it's called the "circle of death"! Tip: turn your lights on, and use those mirrors mounted on each turn! We had no issues to speak of, and never had problems parking (but we were off-season). You can usually count on a bit of a wait for the elevators (pay attention to which set you uses...one pair for each of the two sections of the property). Cameras are mounted throughout the property as well, including inside the elevators.

This was a relaxing week we both desperately needed. Early morning walks on the beach were fairly secluded, as were our nightly strolls. Two weeks after Labor Day, we felt we had the beach to ourselves at times. Traffic in town was incredibly light. All in all, we had no complaints, and plan to make this a yearly destination. Off-season, of course.

Room Tip: The studios are great if all you need is a roof over your head at a great price. A few bucks more ca...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Belton, South Carolina
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We discovered the Beach Colony in the early 1990's, and we have been staying here ever since. We have stayed at other properties, but keep returning here - it is most definitely our favorite property in Myrtle Beach. The location is wonderful; away from the madding crowd, wonderfully large sand beach, miles of beach on which to walk. Close to many good restaurants, and of course the whole Grand Strand area has much to offer in the way of restaurants, shops, golf, etc.

The Guest Suites are quite nice. The bathroom is at the rear of the unit, as you enter. Next is the bedroom, a nice large space with decent closet & storage space. There is then a small step down into the living area, It has a sofa, small dinette with 2 chairs, and a small kitchen. It is ocean front with floor to ceiling windows for wonderful views. We spend most mornings sitting on the balcony watching the waves as we drink our coffee and eat our breakfast.

(BTW, every once in a while we treat ourselves to the 2-bedroom ocean front, even though it is just the two of us. Both the huge master bedroom and the living room are on the ocean front, with floor-to-ceiling windows. We could live in a unit like this.)

The staff is very friendly. The rooms are clean. As one reviewer noted the furnishings can very, but even in the older units we usually have a very good time.

I would have rated this as 5 stars, but during the last 2 stays we have had this year, Housekeeping has not delivered fresh towels for the bath & kitchen on multiple days (though my wife reminded me there were extra towels under the sink in the bath, so we had plenty). This is sloppy and shows a lack of supervision which may spill over into other areas in the future.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Mayodan, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We stayed in the hotel from 9/13-9/16. The room was clean and exactly as represented on their website. Had a two bedroom ocean view suite. It was roomy and comfortable. There were 5 of us and we never felt crowded - and one of our group was in a wheel chair. The room had all of the conveniences of home. If I had to pick one thing that I did not like it was the parking. It is a parking deck that has one driveway going floor to floor and it is for cars both entering and exiting. During our stay it was not a big issue because we were there off season. I can only imagine how maddening it would be during heavy business times when people are coming and going constantly. I would not hesitate to stay at Beach Colony again in the future.

Room Tip: Had an "Ocean View" room and never felt cheated that I did not spend the extra money for...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family