Message from TripAdvisor:

“Great stay at Ocean Creek - great for families!”
Review of Ocean Creek Resort

Ocean Creek Resort
Ranked #39 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Greensboro, NC
“Great stay at Ocean Creek - great for families!”
Reviewed June 27, 2007

We stayed at Ocean Creek Resort for the first time June 14-17 and had a fantastic stay. After reading some of the negative reviews, I was worried but do not let that deter you - it was a great resort, and we've stayed at many throughout Myrtle and N. Myrtle Beach and this by far was the best for the price.

It was my husband and I and our 18m old daughter. We stayed in one of the Lodge Villas, a one-bedroom. It was huge for a one bedroom and was really nice b/c it had a separate entranceway apart from the front bedroom unlike many where we've stayed in the past that just open directly into the bedroom. This had a long hallway, 1.5 baths and a large living/dining area and a screened porch. Our unit overlooked the pool and the screened porch was great b/c my toddler could go out there and I didn't have to worry about her safety. The unit was very clean, all the furniture was up-to-date, nothing fancy, but just what we needed. A full kitchen was tiny but we just needed it to store food and make snacks/lunch. I also found the villas to be very quiet - we did not hear any noise from next door or above or below us as you often do in condos and we were on the 3rd floor of a 4-story building -- there are elevators and luggage carts, which was so helpful. We were in Lodge 1 which was the best location I thought - the restaurant was in our building, the indoor pool direcctly across from us, an outdoor pool w/baby pool right there. They have a tram service that picks you up (free) and takes you down to the beachfront area -- sometimes waiting on the tram took too long so we just walked and it really was only a 5 min walk. The only complaint was that the indoor pool was freezing cold!!!

The private beachfront has another nice pool, baby pool, covered deck and snack bar...the food at the snack bar was a bit overpriced and did not offer not a lot of choices, but it was fine in a pinch. They also had alcoholic drinks too such as frozen daquiris. The best part was that there is a "creek" area where the ocean washes in and the water is very shallow, still and warm and it's huge and great for small children to play in - my toddler had a great time splashing in there.

We also got a free buffet breakfast every morning -- the restaraunt is small and got very crowded and one morning we didn't have the best service but for a free breakfast, you cannot complain. I just wish they would've offered a bit more variety on the buffet from day-to-day, but it was good. We also had free wireless Internet service in our room -- all rooms have this and that is great especially for those with spouses that cannot leave work behind! The property is gated and very private, very wooded and nicely landscaped. Everything was very clean and in good condition while we were there. We had to call the front desk several times during our stay for extra sheets or towels and they were always helpful and very prompt in responding to our requests.

We booked the villa directly from the Ocean Creek web site and got a great deal - you can book from individual owners as well but we got a cheaper rate this way, the free b'fast and were very pleased with our condo. We really loved it and will def. stay there again.

• Liked — location, large villas, free Internet, free breakfast
  • Disliked — indoor pool was too cold!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank Tikicisti

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed June 27, 2007

I am a travel agent and took my family for a stay at Ocean Creek Resort in June 2007. I have stayed at Ocean Creek many times over the past 15 years or so. I have stayed in both the North and South towers, the Lodge Villas and now the Tennis Villas.

For this vacation, we stayed in a 3 bedroom, 3 bath unit in the Tennis Villas section. It was very convenient to the entrance of the resort, however the Tennis Villas are the farthest distance to the beach. Our unit was a second story unit. The Tennis Villas have either bottom floor or 2nd floor units.

We stayed in unit 2607. The unit was as nicely appointed or even better appointed than some of the oceanfront units that I have stayed in at the North or South Towers. It was very easy to unload and load the car, as we parked perhaps 20 feet from the entrance to the unit. It definitely was much easier to unload in the Tennis Villas as compared to the Towers, where you have to push a cart to your car and then take an elevator to whatever floor you are staying. The pool was just around the corner from our unit, and the unit overlooked the tennis courts.

The room had only a couple of issues. The dishwasher didn't seem to fully wash the dishes on one cycle. It took at least 2 cycles to get the dishes fully washed. Also, the master bathroom tub was not very clean. The bottom of the tub is very stained, and the drain is cracked. The whole tub needs to be replaced. Also, the showerhead needs to be replaced. Other than these issues, I really can't complain about any other issues in the unit. As mentioned, I have stayed in many other types of units in Ocean Creek. Overall, I was vey happy with this unit and would not hesitate to stay here again.

I was glad to see that Ocean Creek now has free wireless internet throughout the resort. I had a laptop with me and was able to keep up with my e-mail and surf the web. Also, the master bedroom closet had a safe that was large enough to place a laptop inside. As mentioned before, the Tennis Villas are the farthest units from the beach area. There is a parking area near the Towers for beach access. We would drive to the parking area, load our stuff onto our 'wonderwheeler' and cart it to the beach. Not quite as convenient as being in the Towers, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Also, Ocean Creek was running a summer promotion that included a free breakfast buffet for 2 people per unit between 7am - 11am at the resort's restaurant. It worked well if you got there early, but if you waited after 9am to arrive, we encountered long lines.

The beach at Ocean Creek is located on one of the best sections in North Myrtle Beach. It is located right on a section of beach that includes a creek section that runs in front of the Towers. When the tide is out, this creek section becomes a wonderful place to take small children to play in the water. Many tidepools are created, where kids can catch small crabs and fish or play in their own personal wading pool. If you have a crab net, you can catch larger crabs right off the bridge that connects the resort to the beach. I've even seen people gig and catch flounder in the creek, when the tide is up.

Another advantage to staying at Ocean Creek is that the property is directly across the street from Barefoot Landing. Barefoot Landing contains wonderful retail shopping and restaurants. Also, several golf courses are nearby, including all of the Barefoot courses, Waterway Hills, Beachwood and Azalea Sands.

We once again had a great time at Ocean Creek. I have sent clients there before and would not hesitate to book them into Ocean Creek in the future. My family is already looking forward to our next trip to Ocean Creek in 2008.

• Liked — location, proximity to shopping, restaurants and golf, great family resort
  • Disliked — dishwasher, master bath
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank Worldtraveler777
NC
Reviewed June 26, 2007

We have stayed at Ocean Creek for the past 10 years. The location is excellent and the beachfront is terrific! The "creek" is wonderful for families of small children. We have always stayed in a lodge villa and really enjoy the woodsy, private atmosphere. Every villa has a screened poarch and woods that have many squirrels. The tram runs up and down the sidewalks throughout the summer (not during the off season) to carry folks back and forth to the beach. If you don't use the tram, the beach is a short walk from the villas, but it is pleasant with a cement walkway the entire way. Another thing that is great is that Ocean Creek is gated. You don't get "drive through" people at all times of the day and night. If you don't have a pass, you don't get through the gate. I recommend this hotel highly!

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank susan297
Sevierville
Reviewed May 20, 2007

We stayed in a 2Bd, 2 Ba oceanfront condo in Tower North. It was clean & tidy upon arrival. 2 members of our party have extreme smoke allergies & the staff checked our assaigned room for us before check in, to make certain it was smoke free. Housekeeping was courteous & thorough every day. It was our family's first time to Ocean Creek & we plan to return. We are also recommending it to our friends & family.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank laroy
Long Island, Ny
Reviewed April 11, 2007

We recently stayed at the Ocean Creek, arrived 4/5, departed 4/8. It was my husband, myself, and our two kids. We were very excited to be there and the first couple days were great!
We stayed in a lodge and the furnishings were nice...the carpeting outside the room was ripped up and ugly looking, but we figured they must be renovating so we didn't complain.

If it was not for what happened Saturday afternoon, this would be a positive review. We went to the pool near our lodge for just a bit to relax before dinner. When we were about to leave, the maid came by to leave us towels. She came in as we left for the pool. After about 5 to 10 minutes, my kids went back to the room for some things and she was already gone.

Later that evening, I noticed my banking debit card and my daughter's Coach Wallet were missing from my purse. We filed an incident report with the resort's security. I called my bank to stop the card -- unfortunately, there were already charges made which I now have to dispute. My daughter's wallet just had a small amount of money and some gift cards, school ID, stuff like that. My purse was never out of my sight except for that time we were at the pool.

To make a long story short, the staff and management at the hotel were NOT helpful at all. We had to keep checking in with them to get any kind of status on their so-called investigation into this. Finally, they told us the maid denied doing anything wrong (surprise), and that was it -- no real apology, no compensation, no disciplinary action to the maid, nothing. We would never go there again and would never recommend this place to anybody. Besides the hassle of being robbed, it is the violation to us and to our kids that really is upsetting.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Staff, Security
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank sunnyday23
Spartanburg, SC
Reviewed March 19, 2007

My wife and I came down to Myrtle beach for a long weekend away from the kids and stayed Friday to Monday. The weather was cool, but we still enjoyed a relaxing time without the crowds that show up later in the summer.

We stayed in a 1 bedroom Lodge Villa unit that was clean, nicely decorated, and had new(ish) furniture and appliances. It was about a 5 minute walk to the beach, and an indoor heated pool was in our building unit. We especially liked the wooded grounds because it made the whole area more natural than the other condo high-rises nearby. We will probably return in the summer with the kids....

We had no complaints with Ocean Creek Resort during our brief stay, with a quick and easy check in/out. There was plenty of shopping, eating, and other fun to be had - which we definitely took advantage of. Thumbs-up in our opinion.

• Liked — Wooded grounds, Beach with Tidal Creek
  • Disliked — Too cold to use outdoor pools
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank SCfunFamily
North Carolina
Reviewed March 15, 2007

Although the facilities were adequate, what the resort lacked was a competent, customer focused staff. We visited the Golf Concierge, requested that a tee time be made for the afternoon and were told to "buy a local paper and do it ourselves, she did not make tee times for the afternoon". We then called the golf course we wanted to play and were told that our hotel would have to call so we could take advantage of the lower rate.
When we went back to the concierge, she gave us a lengthy litany on why the golf course personnel were wrong, etc.
This is not the type of "assistance" you expect from a concierge.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — staff, bed lumpy
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple