Message from TripAdvisor:

Ranked #31 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
pittsburgh
“Vacation With Grandchildren”
Reviewed August 23, 2014

My husband and I just returned from a week's stay at the Caravelle Resort with our young grandsons. Started off a bit rocky, got a key for an occupied room but the resort quickly resolved this issue. The Caravelle is an older hotel that has been updated in recent years and does show some wear and tear, but that is to be expected. I'm sure that early in the season the rooms are in tip top shape. Other than this slight "bump" in the road with the room, we had a wonderful stay there. All of the staff we interacted with couldn't be more kind or considerate. Our housekeeper Victoria was wonderful and fulfilled some special requests that we had without hesitation. Our room was an ocean view suite which fit our needs perfectly

The BEST part of the trip was having the pleasure of meeting "Magic Al". He was hands down the highlight for our grandsons. He made some very special balloon creations for them both. He is truly an artist. The grandkids also enjoyed movie night on the pool deck and a big thank you to "Magic Al" for making it a special time for Jakob. The Caravelle is very fortunate to have a man of this character on there staff.

Room Tip: Wifi and cell phone signal not so great.....
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Heather L, Manager at The Caravelle Resort, responded to this review, August 24, 2014
Thank you for taking a moment to let us know about your recent stay at The Caravelle. We apologize for any inconveniences you experienced at the beginning of your vacation, but we are pleased to know that our staff was able to turn things around to provide you and your grandchildren with a fun-filled, memorable vacation experience! We are so glad that Victoria and Magic Al were able to enhance your overall stay at the resort! We are very lucky to have them as part of the Caravelle Team, and we hope your family will come back to visit us all again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (629)
  • Polish first
Reviewed August 22, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I were just at the Caravelle Resort this past week for our anniversary and had a wonderful stay. We had some minor issues with the housekeeping services that were immediately dealt with by management, but we'd much rather focus on the positive comments.
The staff at the Santa Maria restaurant was superb. A special acknowledgment to Ms. Judy the omelette queen and Ms. Raquel the waitress. They each gave us great customer service and made us feel very welcomed each and every morning. We also would like to acknowledge Nick, Cory, and Michelle for keeping our spirits up! We look forward to another trip in the near future.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Heather L, Manager at The Caravelle Resort, responded to this review, August 23, 2014
Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay at The Caravelle Resort. We apologize for any housekeeping issues you may have had, but we are thrilled that Raquel, Judy, Nick, Cory and Michelle made you feel so welcome. We hope you made many wonderful memories on vacation and we invite you to visit us again soon! Happy Anniversary!!!
Reviewed August 22, 2014 via mobile

TIM is the man@ Caravelle. He was very patient and polite. If it was not for Tim my family and I vacation would have been ruin. Rooms was nice and clean. Ocean view was nice. Food was great.Enjoyed everything.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing accommodations with The Caravelle Resort. We are so glad that Tim was able to improve your overall vacation experience. He is a tremendous asset to The Caravelle team, and we will gladly share your kind words with him. We are happy that you were pleased with the clean accommodations, food and service. We hope you will plan a return trip to visit Tim and the rest of The Caravelle family soon!
Lore City, Ohio, United States
Reviewed August 22, 2014

Upon check in we were inspecting for Bed Bugs. To our relief we did not find ANY but, there were hairs all over the sheets and pillowcases on both beds. I called front desk and they said they would send someone right over, 2 hours go buy and still no one so I call again and get the same response an hours goes by and still no one so by this time I am getting little pissed so I decide to go to front desk which is across the street (I had just had surgery on both my feet so it was a little hard getting around) to complain and of course they apologized and said they would send someone right over! Well about 15 minutes later someone comes and gives one of the kids who answered the door a bag of bed sheets and cases! I am on vacation and they are expecting me to change our own bed close! Sorry but I think not and by this time my feet and ankles are so swelled they looked like they were going to pop because wasn't able to get in bed to elevate them!! After about 4 -5 hours we finally got that matter taken care of. Then the whole week we were there housekeeping would come around to see what we needed, but they NEVER had any of the items on there cart always said they would have to bring it back. I never had any special request just the basics, bath towels, washcloths, kitchen towels, dish liquid, toilet paper, and trash bag! If you don't have it on your cart why stop and ask. More than one night we would not even get towels until 6-7pm and that was only after we had to call front desk not once but 2 - times. Lastly we had to deal with being dripped on EVERY time we sat on our balcony. The people above us had A/C full blast with doors open so water just continuously dripped. Called several times to complain but needless to say that did no good. The morning of checkout I walked out on balcony to have my last cup of vacation coffee and couldn't even enjoy it for being dripped on. I have been going to Myrtle Beach for the past 9 years and needless to say I will not be making anymore reservations at this resort!! Oh I was refunded 100.00 for the inconvience but my opinion I didn't feel that was sufficient for the price I paid to stay there for a week!

1 Thank Toni W
Heather L, Manager at The Caravelle Resort, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
While we never enjoy receiving comments such as yours from a guest, we appreciate your feedback in regards to your recent stay at The Caravelle. We apologize for the housekeeping and maintenance issues you encountered, and your comments will be shared to ensure we make the necessary changes. We hope you will give us another opportunity to provide you with an enjoyable vacation experience.
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed August 22, 2014

Service and Location was great! Definately coming back to Caravelle in the future! Thanks Hicham Mazouz, for helping us with our wifi issues! Caravelle is in the upscale part of town, and their location is great: pools, lazy rivers, beachfront. Best spot in MB

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your recommendation of The Caravelle Resort to other travelers. We are so glad you enjoyed the location, service and amenities that we have to offer. We strive to give all of our guests a fun-filled vacation experience, and we are thrilled that you had an "awesome" time. We hope you will plan to stay with us again on your next trip to Myrtle Beach!
Montreal
Reviewed August 21, 2014 via mobile

This was our third year at The Caravelle and I am returning home with mixed feelings. This time around, although our room was relatively clean, I found it needed a little updating. The knobs on the oven were faded so it was difficult to set the oven's temperature or the stovetop. The kitchen was well equipped, but some of the kitchenware needs to be replaced ASAP and better taken care of (cracked glass, broken mixing bowl, steak knives had some sort of a crust, coffee mug with dried coffee at the bottom). Upon arrival, we did not have a dish towel nor a dish sponge; luckily I brought mine from home - and we also had to ask for extra sheets for the wallbed. Housekeeping was inconsistent and below average compared to past years. Vacuum was not done for several days (kids dropped food on the carpet) and sweeping was not done in the bathroom. We also had a minimal supply of toilet paper (1 roll at a time) and when asked for an extra roll, we were served with attitude.

However I do need to point out that when I called the front desk because our bathtub was clogged, I was nicely greeted by Kelly and the issue was resolved within minutes. Great customer service on that end.

Check-in was quick and we were well greeted and informed by Marcello. But the waiting time was very long even though 3 agents were at the front desk counter. Check-out went swiftly.

The cleanliness of the resort is remarkable; they really keep the grounds nice and pool area clean. Elevators are slow indeed especially if your room is on the top floor but be patient, you're on vacation!

My main concern, such as past years, was actually other guests at this resort; especially those who do not respect the resort's rules. And that's why, I guess, the hotel hired a security company to enforce these resort rules. Keep in mind that the resort has rules to insure that EVERYONE enjoys their vacation. That being said, I found the security officers very inconsistent; some of the resort staff did a better job...sorry! For example: reserving chairs when you go to the beach...I saw a lot of unfortunate people, including families with children and elderly persons, looking for a chair around the pool when some people leave their belongings on 3 or 4 chairs and leave the pool area for most of the day. This is very disrespectful especially if the resort is almost full. I can't imagine peak season. Out of the 10 days I was there, I saw only once a security officer remove towels and belongings of people who left the pool area for more than an hour. In comparison to last year, I did not see glassware or cigarettes in the pool area so good for that. I did however see unattended children do whatever they want.This is not a daycare, if you bring your kids on vacation, make sure they are aware of the rules and respect them. If my kids can, yours can too! Remember, you're not alone, we are ALL on vacation and everyone deserves a good and safe time.

Pool area: kiddie pool water was way tooooo cold!??? But other pools were fine even though they are in need of a little TLC. Pool tiles need to be replaced or fixed and some paved blocks need to be securely reinstalled as I saw a lot of people tripping because of them. They do clean the pools and around early in the morning every day.

Kid activities were nice, liked the " dive-in" movie night.

Tried drinks at the Marco Polo bar. Overpriced - 30$ for 3 drinks that tasted like water. Food is overpriced there too; didn't try it though.

Got some ice cream at the Pirate's Cove ice cream shop. Overpriced too for Breyer's and Dipping dots. Thank God for the Italian ice stand right next to the walkway towards the beach.

Last point: I don't know if management changed in the past year but customer service prior to our vacation, at the time of booking was non-existent. (I had asked a question by email) Never got a response nor a confirmation that they received my email (and yes, I did check my junkmail)

With all this being said, after 3 years at the Caravelle, I am not sure we'll be coming back next year, still have mixed feelings. I loved this resort so much in the past that I feel as if I was let down. I guess I'll check back Tripadvisor in a couple of months to read other reviewers prior to our next vacation in MB.

Stayed August 2014
Heather L, Manager at The Caravelle Resort, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Thank you for taking a moment to let us know about your recent stay with us at The Caravelle. While we are glad that you enjoyed the accommodations, amenities and on-site activities, we are disappointed that we did not provide the fun-filled vacation experience you have had in previous trips. We apologize for the challenges you encountered, and it is with great concern that these issues are being addressed. Please know, your feedback is very important to us as we work daily to make improvements. We appreciate your patronage and hope you will reconsider a another getaway with us, as we will continue to strive for excellence.
richmond va
Reviewed August 21, 2014

Room was great, housekeeping was spotty, didn't take trash one day. Pool is very small and if you don't get a chair at 9 in the morning forget about getting a chair. We stayed on 5th floor balcony was huge but you can see your neighbors no privacy. Unfortunately our neighbors smoked pot and i went to front office to complain who said they would take of it. Never did because i am sitting on my balcony and they are smoking pot, not very happy and will not stay here again

• Stayed August 2014
Thank you for choosing accommodations with The Caravelle and for letting us know about the issues you are currently experiencing. It is with great concern that we read your comments, and we apologize for any inconveniences you have had. Please know, your situation is being addressed with our staff to ensure we make the necessary corrections. Providing good customer service is a priority, and we thank you for bringing this to our attention.