“Awesome Hotel, really clean! Staff lacks good attitude but I would stay there again.”

Anderson Ocean Club & Spa, Oceana Resorts
Ranked #9 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Strawberry Plains, Tennessee
Reviewed July 30, 2010

I stayed in a 2 bdrm condo and it had lots of room, was super clean and everything was very trendy. Traveled with mom (she loved the side view room. When she sat on the patio she could what was happening in the street and if you look the other direction she could see what was happening on the beach), and two sons 17 & 19 (they loved the fitness center and all the pools.) Everyone loved being able to walk outside the hotel and be right on the beach. Before I check into a room i want to see what it looks like and if its clean...I have walked out on several propertys that look good on the internet then when you arrive its crappy! This place is awesome and I would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (694)
Seneca, SC
Reviewed July 29, 2010

Stayed for one night after (after staying at the Marina Inn at Grande Dunes for four nights). We actually paid $ 10 more a night at Anderson Ocean Club than Marina Inn and it's nothing even close to the hotel that Marina Inn is. Nice exterior, nice hotel lobby. Room was OK enough. Fan in bathroom was nasty and corners hadn't been cleaned well. Huge balcony with great view. They have no idea what valet parking should be. Waited for over 40 minutes on my car the evening when we were trying to go to dinner. Hard to do this with a three year old ! Glad we didn't have reservations. You have to cross the garage area and go down some steps to get to the pools. Kind of dirty - didn't smell nice either. Wouldn't pay the money to stay here again. Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn/Express would be just as nice.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
beachbumz6000, Oceana Representative at Anderson Ocean Club & Spa, Oceana Resorts, responded to this review, August 13, 2010
Thank you for writing a review. I am sorry that you didn’t enjoy your stay with us. I hope that you will give us another chance sometime in the future.

Rome, Georgia
Reviewed July 26, 2010

From check-in to check-out, our stay was relaxing and comfortable. The employees at the front desk and housekeeping were polite and attentive. We stayed in a studio king bed that had an ocean view and partial street view. Being on the 8th floor, noise was not a problem. The bathroom and kitchen area had plenty of room and all the comforts of home. The washer and dryer was a nice touch as well.

My wife and I never went to the pools, but as stated in previous posts they are small. The beach is big and never felt overcrowded. The wind really picked up in the afternoons which made it hard to sit out there for long periods of time

Our favorite parts of the resort was the B bar (thanks Kelly) and its location to the River City Cafe, Dirty Don's, SoHo, The Sea Captain's House and Broadway at the Beach.

We can't wait to go back. Our hope is that the resort continues to be diligent in maintaining the property and does not let it become like so many other hotels/resorts in the Myrtle Beach area

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am happy to read that your stay was relaxing and comfortable and that all the staff were polite and attentive. I am glad that you and your wife enjoyed the beach and the restaurants that are close to the resort. I hope that you and your wife will come back and stay with us again soon.

Reviewed July 23, 2010

I love this hotel, it is the nicest looking one on the strip. The oceanfront beach is so convenient. Many people are complaining about the parking a block away but it didn't bother my family at all. I would definitely return, beautifully decorated and the front desk staff were extemely courteous and friendly!
I completed a survey satisfaction at the hotel and gave it a great review with the exception of one unfortunate encounter with the cleaning staff. I made sure I emphasized that we had a great stay despite that isolated incident. Well the same day I received an email from the hotel's president. Maybe he hired someone to write it or it was him but either way I was totally impressed with the management's concern over my satisfaction as a guest at their hotel. Stay here and you won't be sorry!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased to read that you loved staying at this resort and that you found the staff to be extremely courteous. I hope that you will come back and stay with us again soon.

New York City, New York
Reviewed July 23, 2010

Before I booked the Anderson I checked other reviews on this site, and I have to say I wholeheartedly agree with everyone. This was my first time to Myrtle Beach and from now on anytime I go back I will stay at the Anderson. Everything at the hotel was great, big rooms which made you feel like you were home. Great facilities, pools, spa and the B-bar were great. The staff was always nice especially the bartenders, they were very sociable and fun to talk to. The location is great, close to everything and right on the beach. You can't go wrong with staying at the Anderson.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am happy to read that you found everything at the resort to be great and that the staff was especially nice. I hope that you will come back and stay with us again soon.

Albany, New York
Reviewed July 22, 2010

We learned about the Anderson through great referrals from family and friends, and we booked this for our honeymoon. The service was poor- we don't expect a lot, but we expect logical things!

On our first night in the hotel room, my husband realized that housekeeping never put on a new roll of toilet paper (unfortunately for him, he ran out mid-business). We had to call housekeeping as an emergency measure!

We also had to ask 3 times (!!!!!!!!!) for the hotel staff to bring us an extra pillow (it took a good 45 mins from our first request til we received it)

We waited the entire next day for housekeeping to come in and replace the toilet paper, toiletries, etc. They never came. We had to go down to the desk on our second night and ask how often housekeeping comes, we were hoping to get more toilet paper, clean towels, etc. The desk clerk didn't have an answer, so she got a manager.. The manager "pulled a report" and told us they didn't see that our room was serviced, but didn't know why.

We called valet and didn't get an answer, so on our way out, we ran to the front desk to request our car be brought around to us. The desk clerk said "you know, you can call from your room!!!!' (We did- no one answered. Lose the 'tude, girlfriend) to get our car pulled up for us, and literally waited 20 minutes for someone to go across the street and get it.

By the end of our third night, we were ready to head home. We asked the hotel staff if it would be possible to check out a day early. We were told "It shouldn't be a problem, but you'll have to talk to the manager- he's here til 11:00pm but he's busy right now." We called the service desk at 10:50, asked the front desk, and were told "The manager is gone for the evening." My husband replied "Oh, okay, because we were told he was there until 11:00." The clerk says "Hold on" and voila!!! Dave, one of the managers is on the phone (It's magic!!!!!).

Overall- the staff was dishonest, and unhelpful. The room was decent, the spa was great! But I really expected better considering it's an exclusive resort.. Hubby and I agreed that next time we will stay at the Best Western next door, where at least they offer continental breakfast! ;-)

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
beachbumz6000, Oceana Repersentative at Anderson Ocean Club & Spa, Oceana Resorts, responded to this review, August 13, 2010
Thank you for writing a review. I would like to apologize to you for the housekeeping staff not cleaning or stocking your room properly. I am going to pass your comments to the Director of Housekeeping. I am also sorry that you had a hard time getting in touch with a manager. I hope that you will give us another chance so time in the future.

Washington, DC
Reviewed July 22, 2010

What more can I say??? This hotel has made its way into my top five favorites. I planned a large group vacation of about 75 people for 5 days and this hotel made their stay great, and my job easy! Check-in was smooth and the front-desk staff as well as the group sales ladies ensured that everything was a breeze. The bellhop worked hard and diligently to assist my group with their bags up to their rooms. The rooms were amazing. We rented mostly 3-bedroom condos and a few 2-bedrooms. Everything that one would need for a week was available. They had an amazing full-kitchen with marble counter tops, equipped with a dishwasher, full refrigerator, and a wide range of dishes. The stackable washer/dryer was greatly appreciated by me and most of my group. These spacious condos were all ocean front with great balconies!

The pool area consists of a "lazy river", two pools and two hot tubs. I put lazy river in quotes because it is definitely not the lazy river that you are thinking of. It is really tiny and over crowded with screaming children. However, I wouldn't take any point off for that because honestly I didn't come to this hotel in hopes for a grand mile long lazy river. The poolside bar boasted of using bacardi premium rum, yet didn't have a wide variety of different flavors. Once again, no points off because the bartenders were attentive and I can get drinks elsewhere!

The only point I take off is the slow/non-existent internet connection. Upon arrival and much to my dismay I realize that they offer a ethernet hook-up. Which of course thwarts my plans of working on the balcony with my breathtaking view. So, sadly I sit in the living room and attempt to get online via the ethernet, to no avail. I figured there had to be some wi-fi around somewhere, so I clicked on my wireless and two Anderson connections popped-up! Why wasn't I notified of this option?? Happy as a clam, I move all of my work outside only to find out that this connection is so slow that hardly any websites would load. Every time I attempted to login to my school's portal, it would timeout. Facebook would timeout as well. The only site that I could get to work was my email. After about an hour on the phone with the technician, and even him coming by to assess the issue, I was still left with nothing. He stated that's all the speed they can offer. I tried the business center, but only two out of three computers were working and I didn't want to tie up a computer all day. So I was forced to spend a week without doing any schoolwork or any other work for that matter. Which would be fine if you are truly on a vacation.

All in all, I still give this hotel 5 stars overall!! The staff was nice to the point they all held small conversations while on the elevators, hallways, etc. And the amenities were just amazing! I would just suggest not to plan to do any work via internet during your stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am happy to read that you and your entire group had a good time while staying with us. I am glad that everyone enjoyed the spacious room and the views from the balconies. I am sorry that you had a hard time with connecting to the internet and getting some work done. I hope that this won’t deter you from coming back and staying with us during the school year. We are looking forward to seeing you again soon.