“Not Quite Right”

Anderson Ocean Club & Spa, Oceana Resorts
Ranked #9 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed September 8, 2009

This hotel has a lot of potential, but our experience was lacking. The hotel building is quite large compared to the other hotels around it, however everything other than the room felt inadequately small. When you approach the hotel to check in, it isn't clear where to park. There is a small car passage that says "Entry" on the right side of the building which after parking accross the street, I discovered lead to a narrow passage way with 15 minute parking for checking in and unloading. We stayed during Labor Day weekend and it was pretty busy so it was a zoo trying to get in and out of there. It reminded me of Europe - tight driving conditions. The front deskman checking me in handed me my key with no direction on where my room was how to get to an elevator which wasn't visible from the lobby. He did not mention there was a parking garage across the street. Before I walked away I asked about parking which he said "oh, park across the street." I said "OK, somewhere specific or just anywhere?" He looked at me like I was clueless, which I was, and with a tone said "No, in the garage on the next street over. It's the same color as the hotel." My husband checked in seperately and he had the same experience. Somehow we were the idiots for not knowing how things were set up there. After I walked away, I realised I didn't even know where are room was located. We left the small lobby and exploring a passage, found an elevator. Once on our floor we found our room on the other side of the hotel. When we got to our room it was very nice and spacious, but the carpet was quite dirty with lots of stains. We had a two bedroom room, which was on the side of the hotel without a front view of the ocean, but hey we could still see the ocean. The rooms are where the hotel goes right. The furniture and linens were nice and the kitchens were updated. The pool area however is very cramped and the lazy river was a little milky looking. Each time my kids went to the pool there were never any clean towels available. My other unfortunate expereience was that I parked on the wrong level in the parking garage. I had seen valet parking clearly marked on the first floor walls of the parking garage, when I go to the second level there were no markings on the walls. Unfortunately I had missed a standing sign that had been placed on that level. We had numerous calls which we did not receive as we were never in our room. Finally we came in from the beach a found a sticky note on our door and some nasty voice messages to move our car, actually only one was nasty from the manager. I was really embarrased. We did have a nice time on the beach that day and although I liked the room except for the filthy carpet, I would not recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
beachbumz6000, Oceana Representative at Anderson Ocean Club & Spa, Oceana Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2009

Thank you for writing a review. I would like to apologize to you since the front desk didn’t communicate with you very well were the parking garage is located or the location of your room. I am glad that once you got to your room liked the look of it and you liked the updated kitchen. I hope that you will give us another chance to provide you with the customer service that we pride ourselves on.

Reviewed September 8, 2009

We arrive on Saturday August 29th, checked in without any delays by a very pleasant staff. The bellman handle all luggage and escorted us to the 12th floor, explain the room features and was extremely nice. The hotel does not have a restaurant in house, however they do have a restarant directly accross the street, Magnolia's. We only have breakfast, a buffet, that was perhaps our best meal every day. The parking is remote, about a block away and in a very tight parking structure. Fortunately the off season made parking easier. We had one rainy day and if would have been helpful if the hotel had some type of golf cart shuttle for those days. Our room was a single bedroom king, very spacious, extremely comfortable, and clean. The shape or configuration was well done for an ocean view, but still a great view.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am happy to read that your room was spacious and extremely comfortable and that the staff was very pleasant. I am glad that when the bellman escorted you to your room he then explained the features of the room to you. I hope that the next time come to the beach you will stay with us again.

Reviewed September 8, 2009

A friend of mine recommended this hotel when she stayed with a group of ladies for a church retreat. She knew that I like clean upscale hotels with lots of amenities. The 4th floor room was clean, service was on time each day, and the staff was very friendly. The ocean view is very nice but the next time I go I will definately do ocean front from the 4th floor and below.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
beachbumz6000, Oceana Representative at Anderson Ocean Club & Spa, Oceana Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2009

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am glad that your friend recommended you staying with us and that you enjoyed your stay. I am happy that the staff was friendly and that housekeeping was on time each day. I hope that you will come back and stay with us again soon.

Reviewed September 7, 2009

Gorgeous, clean and beautiful hotel! Very friendly and helpful staff. Would highly highly highly recommend Anderson Ocean Club. I will definately be returning again soon!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am pleased to read that you found the resort to be gorgeous and clean and that the staff was friendly. I hope that the next time you are in the area you will stay with us again.

Reviewed September 7, 2009

We were impressed with every part of this resort! we were upgraded to the Penthouse level. Our room was immaculate. This is definitely the nicest hotel in the area! Our room was always cleaned, the kitchen was gorgeous and came equipped with everythting you could possibly need. The bathroom was beautiful and had a jacuzzi tub. We also had two very large flatscreen tvs which made us happy since October baseball was on! The views from the hotel are fabulous and parking was a breeze. You wont be disappointed at the Anderson!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad that you come and posted a year after you stayed with us. I am glad that you have fond memories of how clean your room was and that the kitchen was gorgeous. I hope that you will be able to come down and stay with us again soon.

Reviewed September 6, 2009

The Anderson Ocean Club is a beautiful hotel. Beautiful does not necessary equate with luxury. I'll share my experience:
Check In: There were two couples/families checking in before me . I arrived at 5:00 pm. It took all of 30 minutes for two attendants to check in two groups. The attendant did not offer me the same perks as offered to the couple that the other attendant did. She did not offer me valet parking which I did want from reading the reviews posted. I asked for it. She also did not tell me about the spa specials like the other attendant did. I did not want that but I don't like people making presumptions based on looks, etc.
Valet Parking: I usually don't pay for extras but from reading about the parking across the street I figured I needed it with a six year old. Now that I understand how it works it probably is not needed. They have places for you to park and unpack. Once all settled you can move your car to the parking deck. The first two decks are for valet the others for everyone else. The reason I wasn't thrilled with that when I called for valet service the phone ringed and ringed. I had to call back two and three times to retrieve my vehcile. Once I got downstairs it was there. It costs eight dollars a day so no big deal until you call yourself a luxury hotel.
Room: The oceanfront view was beautiful. It took my breath away. The room was nice with a nice decor. The room was fully stocked with forks, plates, mixing bowl, pots, etc. We went and found a grocery store right down the street and stocked up. A kitchen helped with cooking breakfast and lunch.Don't forget the paper towels like we did. I have to go back to luxury. The price I paid I got what I expected (pd less with expedia). If I would have paid full price I would have thought I overpaid. I got a good standard room with a fully stocked kitchen.
Housekeeping: The ladies came at different times to clean the room but the did come. They empied trash, restocked tissue, towels, and changed sheets if you left the card out. I was always near each time they came. I did not see a vaccum or a broom, but I was satisfied. Once again I did not consider it luxury.
Pools: The pools were small outside. There were about 5 pools and a very small lazy river. My son had a blast so I was satisfied. I want to emphasize that these pools are small. Once again I would not classify it as luxury.
High Speed Internet: Great!! Only worked in living room/kitchen not in the bedroom.
Fitness Center: Nice. Treadmills, bikes, elliptical...not great for specific weight lifting.
Beach: The beach was great. You could rent chairs and umbrella for 30 bucks a day. I went down the street and purchased some for 40.
Overall, I enjoyed my stay at Anderson. It is a nice hotel. I travel with my job and try to vacation every year. I can not classify this as a luxury hotel. I started thinking if this is luxury what are the other hotels that actually get a poor rating. Anderson could be luxury if a few things are added: A responsive front desk--that calling two or three times for my car got on my nerves; a place to get coffee--I thought I would have something in the lobby but had to walk to get it. There was a coffeemaker in the room but I was in the mood for something stronger to sit with on the beach; A bar on the premises--there is a hotdog stand that sells different things but not a place I could go an unwind; paper thin walls--I had to call and complain because some parents were letting their kids go wild in the room next to us; kids' activities--the activity director introduced the kids to Ripley's shark. He went around hugging. Anderson is a nice hotel; we had fun. I believe for what I paid I got my money's worth.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad that you found the resort and the view to be beautiful. I would like to apologize to you since when you called for you car no one picked up right away. I am glad that you liked the room décor and that you had a fully stocked kitchen. I hope that you will stay with us again the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed September 6, 2009

This hotel was one of the best I have stayed in on my trips to Myrtle Beach. The staff was really friendly and helpful. We broke a bottle in the room, called down to housekeeping and they responded in 4 minutes with a dust pan and a broom. The parking garage being a block away was a problem so we valet the car for the whole stay. The room was really nice and well appointed. It's really close to all the major attractions like Broadway at the Beach. We highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
beachbumz6000, Oceana Reprsentative at Anderson Ocean Club & Spa, Oceana Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2009

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am pleased to read that you found this resort to be one of the best in Myrtle Beach. I am glad that the staff was friendly and helpful and that when you didn’t some assistance the housekeeping staff was able to help you in a short amount of time. I hope that you will come back and stay with us again the next time you are in the area.