“Fantastic Hotel”

Anderson Ocean Club & Spa, Oceana Resorts
Ranked #9 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed September 20, 2008

My sisters and I (four of us) stayed at the Anderson, (my sister Kathy lives in Myrtle Beach and scouted out the best situation/deal) what a beautiful hotel-my sisters and I had not been on holiday together for at least 20 years-so this was very special.

We were very pleased with the hotel, the staff and all amenities-the one and only problem we encountered in the two weeks we were there was the fact that our sheets were never changed-and I have proof of this-such a shame that a housekeeper put a blemish on this otherwise wonderful fortnight.

If we had not showered/bathed every day, we would have had something to say, but as none of us (four) were at all dirty we felt it was not such a big deal, however, if our partners (husbands etc) had come with us, there would have been a problem. We will be back - hopefully next year, and if the sheet problem is not rectified, we will be having something to say.

Sheets aside, thank you so much for helping to make our fortnight holiday wonderful- we have told all our friends and family and several are going to visit my sister in Myrtle Beach in the coming year, and will be using your hotel.

Many thanks

Janis Lucas

Stayed: September 2008
2  Thank duncan01
Write a ReviewReviews (3,070)

Reviewed September 16, 2008

First of all, we are french canadian, so be indulgent with us; English is not our home language!

We were there for one week, from Sept. 7th until Sept. 14th. Our first time in Myrtle Beach and in South Carolina state. We booked for one bedroom condo, oceanfront. We arrived on Sunday, at 1 PM, at the hotel, after 2 hours of flight between the new Plattsburgh Airport. Based on the reviews that I read, we were a bit anxious since it was a Sunday, and it was 1 PM; check-in is normally at 4 PM. We were the only guests at the reception and we had right away the cards to access the condo, which was at the 15th level (#1508). We would like to specify/demystify some things about this resort since there are some negative/bad reviews.

Internet: it's a wired access; do not forget to bring your ethernet cable. Where is located the connexion? for our case, just below the phone connexion, on the counter, between the kitchen and dining area.

Safe into the condo: below the TV (into the desk) in the living room area. How it works: you have to choose between identifying you with a credit card (same credit card will open or close it, doesn't mean that you gonna be charged) or a PIN. We chose a PIN. We paid no fees to use it for the entire week; we also had no issues with it. Our laptop is a 15" and it didn't fit into the safe but we had no issues with this and we never felt unsecure.

Housekeeping: we didn't have any housekeeping issues. Our room was always done after returning from the breakfast (1h30 approx. period of time). But what we could say about this, it's people doesn't put the sign "Service please" on their door when leaving. We always did it. We also noted housekeeping people knocking at the door to see if they can do the service or not because no sign were present at the door of the guests. Guests should help people in this to do their job. Also, if you leave the "Privacy please" sign, don't be surprised to have no housekeeping services; they are respecting this.

Pools/Spas area: interesting type of pools/spas, but the area is small. Be aware, for the one who have children, that it's "swing at your own risk"; there is no lifeguard. Pools/Spas are opened from 8 AM until 10 PM. Bring your own beach towels!

Parking: we didn't take the valet parking. By the way, the walk to go at the parking building of the resort is the depth of the restaurant Magnolia's. So less than one block. In our current day to day, we are walking more than the depth of a restaurant. We suggest you to walk the side beside the Magnolia's restaurant, because you gonna arrived just in front of the official entrance of the parking, where are the elevators. Just remember where you parked your car (which floor). When entering with your car to park, the first two levels (including the ground level) belong to the valet parking service. Go to the next one, which is in fact the first level for the elevators service.

Loading/uploading area: you can park your car for 15 minutes inside the garage of the resort. Upon our arrival, we leave the car there for more than 15 minutes - the time to do the check-in, we went to the condo to ensure that we had an oceanfront and after we returned to take the luggages from our car. We had no issues. People working there are very helpful and offered us a cart to help with the luggages.

Pillows/Mattress: we loved them. As already mentioned, we would also like to buy this set.

Condo in general: very functional condo. We were happy to have inside the condo a washer/dryer. The air conditioning is central; works perfectly. Wonderful view of the ocean. We heared the waves!

Our experience in travels: we were used to go in all-inclusive resorts (5 stars) in Carribean: Punta Cana, Jamaica, Mayan Riviera, Cancun, Varradero. We also went to Florida two times. We really enjoyed this resort due to the facilities and functionality inside the condo and the oceanfront view. Most of the new hotels in Carribean have no view of the ocean. Also, when we met people working into the resorts we told them: Hello, how are you. We always did that, whatever where we are. We are respectful with the employees.

Myrtle Beach: very pleasant people leaving there. Very courteous drivers; this pleasantly surprised us a lot. We are leaving in Montreal, and it's not the case here (aggressive driving), and we are going often in New York, New Jersey and Florida, and drivers are more pressing. Pedestrians are very respected by the drivers in MB. So it won't be an issue for you to cross the street to go to the parking. As soon as drivers will see you, they will let you cross the street.

Visits: we visited the Brookgreen Gardens (your entrance tickets are good for six consecutive days), The Ripleys Aquarium, Broadway at the Beach, Tanger Outlets.

We ate very good hamburgers at River City Cafe (21st Avenue). We also had good breakfasts in local restaurants (House of Pancakes and/or Omelets). Ultimate California Pizza is very good also!

To be honest, the only issue we got during our vacation was with the airplane and the reservation seats process. Don't know why, we didn't have the seats that we booked on-line from MB Direct Air for the departure and worst, we were not planned to be seated together!!! It has been fixed by the board staff. We didn't have any issue for the returning flight - we got the seats that we reserved.

Thank you Myrtle Beach people, thank you Anderson Ocean Club - we had wonderful vacations and we will definitively return to AOC and to MB.

4  Thank pataris
Reviewed September 16, 2008

My wife and I booked an oceanview studio for a Saturday to celebrate our one year anniversary, and it was after I had looked around to compare prices between hotels. Anderson Ocean Club is one of the pricier options, but in my experience, you get what you pay for. The hotel was built very recently, and it shows. Flatscreen plasma, granite countertops in the kitchen, stainless steel appliances, etc. Our studio was spacious, and our view was great. The only complaint I have is that we found a partial condom wrapper on the floor behind the bedskirt, and we also found a used bottle of intimate gel underneath the dresser. A call to the front office quickly resolved the issue, and we didn't have any other problems. The pools are not huge, but why swim in the pool when you can walk 50 yards to the ocean? Check in was a breeze, and they even let me check in four hours early. I would definitely stay here again because it is one of the nicest rooms I've stayed in, and the decor doesn't look like something from the 70's, which a lot of the other Myrtle Beach hotels seem to have.

3  Thank wcmarcos
Reviewed September 14, 2008

I recently stayed at the Anderson Ocean Club in a 1-bedroom studio/efficiency condo. I got a really good deal on the room through Orbitz, and I was pleasantly surprised how nice it really was.

ROOM: Description stated that the room had a queen sized bed (I am still convinced it was a full sized bed); oven and dishwasher were miniature -- couldn't really figure out how to use the oven correctly; kitchen did not have a skillet -- asked front desk for one but never received it

ELEVATOR: Only got stuck once, for less than a minute

PARKING: Kind of frustrating but most of the nicer hotels at myrtle beach only have parking across the street -- this parking lot was about a block away

POOLS: Indoor pool really isn't indoor -- it is just under a covered area; there was one "indoor pool" and one "indoor jacuzzi" and outside there was a kiddy pool, very skinny and short lazy river (the width of the tube), a larger pool, and a jacuzzi. All of the pools were salt water.

Balcony: Very, very small -- could barely fit 2 chairs with a small stand between them

Tiki Bar: Wasn't what I would consider a bar -- offered a limited selection of frozen drinks, pretzels, hot dogs, water, gatorade, nachos

I would definitely suggest this hotel for off-season as it seems like it would get very crowded if the hotel was full. Overall, I really enjoyed my stay, especially at only $65/ night.

2  Thank avaicesk26
Reviewed September 6, 2008

AOC was everything we could ask for and more. The beds and the room decor were 5 star. We stayed in an oceanfront 1 bed (2 adults and 2 children) and enjoyed the pools, beach, and full service spa. The valet parking worked out great for us and staff was very friendly. We are already planning a trip back in the late spring.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank rifamily
Reviewed August 29, 2008

As everyone else.....i had read the good and the BAD reviews....was kinda scared....but I have to disagree with some of the previous reviews....either they have gotten most of their flaws out or I just got lucky IDK ...either way ...we LOVED it!!!!!
My family of 5 ( my husband, myself 15 yr old 13 year old and 8 year old) and my mom and dad stayed in a 2 br suite.....was way more than enough room. The beds were a God send....absoulutely wonderful...and the pillows...wow loved them!! my 13 year old son actually said ...mom since they sell the pillows will they sell the mattresses??? i want one....LOL=]

The pool area was a little small....with this big of a place you would think they would have more, but we had plenty of room .....my kids loved the pool area.

The beach access was great... you could go right through the pool area and out onto the beach. nicely kept.

Front desk staff was great , very friendly had no trouble, ..only took about 5 minutes to check in, and about the same to check out, I got there about 3:30 and got to check in early with no problems at all. We didnt use the valet service, although ( and let the be helpful to anyone who is handicapped or has handicapped ppl with them(my dad is) ....they do offer free valet service for them) We had a free valet pass but my husband opted not to use it (scared of anyone driving our new vehicle...lol) but the walk to the garage wasnt bad(although I only had to do it once as he always went and got the van and came and picked us up .

As far as housekeeping we didnt need any during our stay except for towels and even the shampoos and soaps, dishwasher cleaner etc.....they will send up to your room if you call the front desk which is what we did each day and they sent up fresh supplies each day

All in all ......GREAT place , if every place you stay was this comfortable ......alll vacations would be exceptional

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank mayfieldfan3kids
Reviewed August 27, 2008

Just returned from a 7 day stay at this lovely resort. Our family included a senior (almost 64), a teen (15) and an 11 year old.

Our jaws dropped when we entered our 2 BR ocean front wrap around on the 20th floor. All I requested was a high floor. Little did I know that we would get the absolutely most beautiful rooms I have ever stayed in at a very affordable price. The unit was spotless and decorated beautifully. The huge balcony wrapped around from the living room to the master bedroom. The girls also had a small private balcony off of their 2Q bedroom. I wasn't sure about how much housekeeping we would get, but we were pleasantly surprised to find that the service was excellent. We never had to request anything.

The pool area was pretty average and very small. That didn't matter to us because the ocean was the real draw. The girls loved the pounding waves created by the latest tropical storm and spent all of their time riding the waves.

The only real annoyance was the parking situation. We used Valet the first day and were very sorry we did. We waited forever to have the car parked. There is a way around this which I picked up on very quickly and am surprised that I hadn't read about this in previous forums. Directly next to the property (and I mean right next to) there is city parking. $6 per day vs $8 for Valet and not a block away to park the car, just steps. You prepay to park from 9A to 7P. The rest of the time is free. You can come and go as you wish. Very convenient!

One last comment...don't go to the resort's off premises restaurant Magnolias on 26th. $50 for 3 for dinner (admittedly very reasonable with the hotel coupon) but awful. The girls said it was worse than school food!

That said, if I returned to Myrtle Beach or if someone wanted a recommendation, I would highly recommend the Anderson Ocean Club.

Check in was fine but parking was problematic

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family