“Great Vacation!”

Anderson Ocean Club & Spa, Oceana Resorts
Ranked #8 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed July 23, 2008

I was not sure what to expect having read some very negative reviews about this hotel, but rest assured that those who have posted very positive reviews are the ones to believe. Since the hotel is fairly new (having opened in November 2007), the rooms, lobby and hallways are in excellent condition. We stayed in a one bedroom oceanfront and I had absolutely no complaints about the room. The bedroom was a nice size, and the kitchen was very modern and well stocked. The bathroom was not huge, but there was plenty of room. My husband and I both loved the Jacuzzi tub, and the closet in the bathroom was very convenient for hanging wet suits to dry. Although we did not use it, I would think that the washer and dryer in the room would be very useful if you had children or just packed lightly. There have been reviews that stated that housekeeping was a problem, but we did not experience this. The room was immaculate (not a speck of dust as seen in pictures on this site), and stayed that way during our trip. We always could find someone in the hallway on our floor if we needed anything, and if our room was not their responsibility, they made sure that someone brought what we needed to our room (towels, soap, etc.) Speaking of soap, the bathroom was always stocked with Bath and Body Works soap, shower gel, shampoo and conditioner. Very nice touch! We were on the 15th floor, and the view was amazing. People were always setting off fireworks on the beach at night, and we had an excellent view of the shows! This may be annoying to some who prefer absolute quiet in the evenings, but it did not bother us.

The pools are somewhat small, but there are 2 pools and a lazy river (the water was always pleasantly warm) so they do not get too overcrowded. Pool lounges are difficult to get unless you are out early, but we prefer to sit on the beach. You can rent chairs and an umbrella on the beach from the lifeguard, or some people did buy their own. We paid up front for the days that we were going to be there to make sure we had them reserved and could take our time getting to the beach each day. Getting to the pool and beach areas was not difficult, although it is true that you have to walk across the area where cars enter the hotel. The parking situation is not the best, as the parking garage is a bit of a walk. We paid for valet service ($8 per day), and it was well worth the money for the convenience of dropping the car off at the door and not having to walk over to get it. Even without the valet option, the parking inconvenience is worth staying here. We will stay here again when in Myrtle Beach!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
7  Thank GSL308
There are newer reviews for Anderson Ocean Club & Spa, Oceana Resorts

Reviewed July 23, 2008

I am reading the reviews for the Anderson Ocean Club and I am shocked, my stay there was WONDERFUL. My husband and I went (we are in our late 20's with no children) and we had a great time. Our view was wonderful and the condo was wonderfully decorated and comfortable. The bed was plush and we the hotel was quiet. I did not hear anything in the pipes. The elevator did get stuck once, but there was a very big storm outside and all of the hotels seemed to be having problem. I love this place, I wish there was a restaurant onsite but Magnolia's across the street serves a pretty good buffet.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SouthernBelle5
Reviewed July 22, 2008

We just returned yesterday from a stay at the Anderson Ocean Club and would return tomorrow if we could. We stayed in one of the efficiencies with an ocean view balcony. We were able to check in around 2:00 last Thursday with no hassles. The bellhop was right by our side to help us with our luggage. We didn't park our car across the street we used the $8.00 a day valet service and it was worth every penny spent - I highly recommend it. All we had to do was call down to the valet on our way out the door and ask for our car, usually by the time we got downstairs our car was waiting, no trouble at all. The front desk was great, valet great, maid service was fine. We used the safe to secure our valuables. The kitchen was well apointed and the iron and ironing board was right in the closet next to the washer and dryer. We didn't have trouble with the ethernet cord because we took our own. I do have to admit the pool was very crowded but we just went out to the beach. I'm sorry the other reviewers on this page had such a bad experience, our was wonderful and we didn't want to leave.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
6  Thank luv2partyOhio
Reviewed July 21, 2008

We are very experienced travelers from the Holiday Inn Express to the Ritz Carlton and everything in between.

We just got back from a weeks vacation at AOC. This was an awesome vacation. If you are looking for a hotel with a 4 star service and a great pool, go somewhere else. If you are looking to rent a real nice spacious condo, great beach access, and limited services, then this is the place for you.

Housekeeping is the luck of the draw. Sometimes you get a good one, sometimes you get a bad one, but tipping always gets you better service. We left a note everyday and about $7. We had satisfactory service throughout our stay. We had minor issues, but nothing worth mentioning, we dealt with it. If minor issues bother you, stay somewhere else.

Parking was not an issue at all, you just have to walk across the street - we had no problems with it what so ever.

We had a two bedroom corner unit (I read on this site about someone having one and the second bedroom had a balcony). I asked when we got there and they had it available on the 10th floor - room 1012. It was awesome. You can check out the floor plans online and see that this room has over 1200 sq ft.

I would also recommend when you shop for your food when you get there to include papertowels and a scrubby for your dried on food that you cook.

I hope this helps someone decide if this is the place for you to stay.

2  Thank travelbuddies4
Reviewed July 21, 2008

I just recently finished my stay at the Anderson Ocean Club and I will not be returning. The place was extremely over crowded and the parking was a mess. You have to walk across the valet parking zone to get to the pools and the beach. The parking garage is also across the street and you must park on the 3rd floor or above if you are not paying for valet Also, I was awakened by patrons in the hall and rooms around me every morning. The walls are paper thin and the pipes are not insulated. Everytime someone in your room or around your room takes a shower or flushes the toilet, you will hear the water traveling through the pipes. Don't plan to get a restfull sleep staying here. I DO NOT recommend this hotel to anyone looking to relax!

3  Thank Townsend1986
Reviewed July 20, 2008

My sister and I read the reviews of this hotel before booking and like all reviews you will find some good and bad. But I must say this was a VERY nice place to stay. The rooms were very clean and the beds were comfy. The staff were all very helpful and nice. We had no bad experiences here. True we had to walk across the road to the parking garage, but it was not bad. We will DEFINATELY be staying here again.

2  Thank Steph32
Reviewed July 20, 2008

I stayed at the Anderson Ocean Club on July 17 2008 The hot tubs were cold not even close to warm and said they were waiting for a technician every day of our stay and the rooms smelled like smoke although it was supposed to be a smoke free hotel there is no indoor pool like said on the brochure and the website Most of the people who were staying there said there normal hotel was booked or they were staying in discount rooms for timeshare specials.

3  Thank mustbemorgan