I've been to MB 5 times this year while planning a family wedding and have previously stayed at the Marriott, Mariott Oceanwatch Villas and Sheraton Convention Center. It amazes me that there are no 5-star hotels or condos in MB. Personally I think MB could really improve its image if they would offer more luxurious accommodations. This time we stayed at AOC and I rented three rooms: a 2-bedroom OF corner unit, a 1-bedroom OF King and a 1-bedroom OF Double. All of the rooms were nice and all offered exceptional views. Our rooms were between floors 9 and 17. My 2-BR was rented thru VRBO and was much cheaper than the price paid for the 1-BR's thru Oceana Resorts (which is the hotel directly). We loved the corner unit and had views from every room. The 1-BR Double offered lots of sleeping alternatives for larger groups, since it has a sleeper sofa and murphy bed. The girls said the murphy bed was very comfortable and much easier to handle than having to pull out the sofa bed. As many other reviewers have mentioned, the parking situation is a big drawback. I have no problem walking the short distance from the garage to the hotel, but there were 2 things that drove me nuts. One is that you have to park on the 3rd floor or above of the garage because valet gets floors 1 & 2. This doesn't sound like that big of a deal until you realize that there are '1/2' floors, so you go up and up and up until you reach the 3rd floor. The turns are narrow and an accident just waiting to happen. Secondly, there is no covered walkway from the garage to the hotel, so in the pouring rain we were making trips back and forth. Valet parking is offered at $12/night, but it was always so crowded in that area that we just didn't want to deal with it.
I was concerned about the rumors of bumper to bumper traffic this time of year, but it really wasn't an issue. Also, the beaches had lots of people, but not enough to spoil my enjoyment of them. AOC pools were nice and offered variety for the adults and children as well. The location of AOC was convenient to everything, and you could walk to Starbucks, Ben & Jerrys, a southern cooking restaurant , a seafood restaurant, etc. There is a Starbucks inside of AOC, but every day they seemed to be out of something and on one day they offered you the choice of buying or not buying the bakery items in the case since it had fruit flies in it. Surprisingly, everyone in front of me went ahead and purchased the food. More daring than I would have been.
I wouldn't hesitate to stay at AOC if I ever return to MB. But our wedding event is over, and I can't really see myself returning. There are lots of beach locations in much prettier settings. This was a great place for a destination wedding though, and the guests all had a great time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We feature luxurious-, two- and three bedroom condominiums with room service and other amenities including a day spa with hair and nail salon, flat screen TVs, fitness center, indoor & outdoor pools, lazy river, Jacuzzi, oceanfront bar, wireless internet and valet parking. Our full service spa offers massages, facials, men’s spa services and more. Close to many nationally recognized golf courses, restaurants and area attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotwire, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Odigeo and Orbitz so you can book your Anderson Ocean Club & Spa, Oceana Resorts reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Anderson Ocean Club & Spa, Oceana Hotel Myrtle Beach
- Anderson Ocean Club And Spa, Oceana Resorts
- Anderson Ocean Hotel
- Anderson Ocean Myrtle Beach